Microsoft pre-E3 show put Xbox One fears to bed, says analysts

Monday, 10th June 2013 20:20 GMT By Dave Cook

Analyst group EEDAR has deemed Microsoft’s pre-E3 2013 showcase a success that put to bed fears over Xbox One’s dedication to core gaming.

Xbox One was confirmed for a November launch priced $499 / £429 / 499 Euros this evening. You can read our summary of the whole show and games, including trailers here.

In a note sent to VG247 this evening, EEDAR vice-president of insights Jesse Divnich wrote, “Coming out of Microsoft’s E3 conference, if there was ever any doubt about Microsoft’s dedication to the core gaming community, they were put to bed today.
Microsoft made it clear today that their attempts to make the Xbox One a truly integrated entertainment device that will service all members of a household will not come at the cost of alienating the core gaming community.

“From Titanfall, World of Tanks, Quantum Break, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, to Sunset Overdrive, It’s evident that Microsoft is investing more resources and capital than ever before to securing exclusive content and games from third-party publishers and developers while investing more resources to internally-developed titles.”

Elsewhere, the Xbox 360 redesign was ‘in-line’ with EEDAR predictions, and the group called Microsoft’s Xbox One segment ‘stellar’. The firm will issue more predictions concerning Microsoft’s next-gen strategy in coming days.

What was your view on Microsoft’s conference? Let us know below.

1. reask

Of course it did.
    Imagine if the wiiu had something similar with its launch.
    Its all about games.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

For £429?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Tavarish

Games make people forget always online requirement? Ok.

#3 1 year ago
  4. GoingPostal13

Pretty sure it didn’t eliminate the DRM factor – so no.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OlderGamer

No killer app for XBone. And 500usd. ‘Nuff said for me.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MadFlavour

Can VG247 please stop posting what analysts say.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 No.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Bashtee

@2 I agree. It’s just insane. I just hope that Sony doesn’t screw this up.

#8 1 year ago
  9. mkotechno

The fear and PR shitstorm is about DRM, not casual or hardcore games, you under-MS-payroll analysts!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@7 That made me laugh my ass off, for some reason.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

@Madflavour
    You got Killzowned By Dave :D

@Tavarish
    Well its ideally what we wanted from the first reveal.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Erthazus

In my opinion Titan Fall is the Killer App compared to PS4 offer with Killzone: shadow POS

but you can play it on the PC and it will be on the PS4 I think after one year or so…

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Yep, def a killer app.

Will play on my new rig! :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

@Erthazus
    What else do you like about Titanfall?

#14 1 year ago
  15. reask

Fair play OG and I have a lot of respect for you as I know you played a lot on 360.
    I waited till the PS3 hit 299 before getting it and these will come down in price after a couple of years maybe.

I just get the impression that e3 swung it for ms as far as there own fanbase goes and that means 70 odd million potential customers so we could be waiting a while for a price drop I reckon.

You have to take in to consideration that the old reliable s such as gears and cod plus others will please the base to no end.

#15 1 year ago
  16. The_Red

It put nothing to bed. We knew about Respawn, Rise and many others. The fear was about lending / rentals, always-online, always Kinect and price.

They didn’t do much for most of them and the rest (price) was unfavorably high.

#16 1 year ago
  17. laughing-gravy

Well at least we now know all analysts are as thick as pig shit. It’s not just limited to Pachter.

#17 1 year ago
  18. fearmonkey

It showed me that MS can buy exclusives at the last minute, thats it.
    Most of these games shown are third party games, and most first party titles werent really shown or playable.

I hope Sony has some games to show, because I feel underwhelmed.
    Ryse looked the best to me, but there wasnt one game that seemed like a killer app to me.

#18 1 year ago
  19. ps3fanboy

LMFAO!!!!… ohhhh…analysts are trolling.. at least it made me laugh so hard, that my tea come out my nose :D

#19 1 year ago
  20. Froseidon

@7 LMAO. S’pose it is a news website :P

#20 1 year ago
  21. karma

It did no such thing, only cemented further that xb1 is not the gaming platform to go with for next gen. Especially at £429 Uk price, which is ridiculous when the US is getting it for around £100 or so less. There were no actual exclusive games that interested me, not even the new Halo game. And all the most important issues like 24h DRM, publisher dictatorship of used games, game sharing restriction, no backwards compatibility or guarantee of future proofing, the privacy invasion with kinect and the fact they’re still forcing us to pay to play our games online and use 3rd party apps. Its probably the most negative i’ve ever felt about any new gaming device.

Lol what the hell is that analyst smoking, or getting paid?

#21 1 year ago
  22. reask

And that all fanboys are fanboys.

#22 1 year ago
  23. machy

to be fair yes they delivered .. and now ur move sony which i hve faith in them since they had a lot more time thn ms and we hope to see less shotting

#23 1 year ago
  24. laughing-gravy

@22 No just a realist!

#24 1 year ago
  25. El_MUERkO

eh… no.

#25 1 year ago
  26. ArcticMonkey

I’m buying a PS4.. Microsoft’s press conference was great today, for the past few years I’ve bashed them for not investing in new IP/Games so when then actually prove otherwise I’ll still give them credit. Still, 24 hour always on checks, no borrowing or used games and $500 launch price ON TOP of Xbox live fees are keeping me away…

Also I just wanna say something, the people, I’m assuming they were “professional” journalists, jeering and taunting the battlefield guy on stage when the audio messed up made me sick. I felt like the audience were a bunch of 12 year olds… It’s actually embarrassing for the industry.

#26 1 year ago
  27. monkeygourmet

“at least it made me laugh so hard, that my tea come out my nose”

“that my tea come out my nose”

“tea come out my nose”

“tea”

Brit detected… :)

#27 1 year ago
  28. Lewis247

Please be warned, This is the start of complete false PR and analyst claims that will constantly tell us the complete opposite from what reality tell us.

There is absolutely nothing, NOTHING, that has put fears to bed. They have just made them stronger and highlighted them more.

No DRM is acceptable. Not even a little. This stinks to the fucking core. How can this get said with a straight face.

#28 1 year ago
  29. sg1974

@28 What did they say today that made the possibility of DRM, the 24-hour check-in and always-on Kinect worse or highlighted them more?

Calm down dude. Today was about games. You might not like them, but it was about games.

#29 1 year ago
  30. sg1974

@27 Not necessarily so. Could be Canadian, New Zealander, Australian, South African, Indian, Sri Lankan – or pretty much anywhere else in the British Commonwealth!

But probably British… ;)

#30 1 year ago
  31. NeutralBlade

No one is just going to forget all the negative news recently released. He makes it sound as if the X1 wasn’t a gaming platform, then all of the sudden (surprise) it is, and everyone will forgive the restrictions that are being enforced upon us.

And another rumor I read recently, stated that the restrictions are actually worse than what Microsoft officially stated. For those who dive in head first come November, I wait to hear your disappointment. The real story will start, once people get their hands on the X1, and really see what the restrictions are like.

And as far as that sharing “feature”, it’s possible that each person added, will have to be scanned by Kinect, and their physical specs are attached to said profile, along with Microsoft restricting use via IP address. It was already stated that Kinect can recognize people when they come within view, and if it doesn’t recognize you, it will ask that you identify yourself.

It’s also possible that Kinect could reject someone accessing your profile, if it scans and sees there is no physical match between the profile and the person. That spy accessory will certainly be put to use for identification purposes, to further tighten the grip of their DRM.

I really don’t see Microsoft allowing anyone to abuse the ten-person sharing feature, because what’s the point of Azure, if there is a massive loophole in it? Well, I’m going to steer clear of the X1, and just wait and watch what happens to the early adopters.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Francis O

No, they didn’t put my fears to rest. The Xbox One is still a cable box, that’s too expensive and focuses on boring shooters and American actions games.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Sigh… its a cable box that can play games, right?

#33 1 year ago
  34. stealth

pretty bad event

#34 1 year ago
  35. Ge0force

MS showed a lot of great games, but most of them are also on pc and/or ps4. Unless PS4 also has ridiculous DRM restrictions and a paywall for apps and online gaming, I won’t buy an Xbox One.

#35 1 year ago
  36. ysleiro

@35 The fact that EA will dropping their games on both consoles speaks to the situation a bit.

Either:
    A)Sony will be implementing the same DRM as MS.
    B)MS and EA worked out a deal where MS gets more money on games sold through xbox in exchange for MS adding DRM while it’s main competitor doesn’t.

Which one do you think is more likely?

#36 1 year ago
  37. Mike W

But you have to admit, it was a good conference. What killed it for me was the price, but they have to make a profit off both the Kinect and Xbox One. But any in case, if we I were to give this conference a grade just base off the games, I would give it a A

#37 1 year ago
  38. reask

And the wiiu is a mario box.
    At least get perspective here bud.
    Ninty have shafted all who bought the wii and are sinking fast because the u is an upgrade only.
    Say what you want about ms or sony but at least they have new games to show rather than some sort of tablet you hold in your hand which they dont even know its purpose.

Let the ones who have invested in games battle it out rather than trying to justify the joke that ninty have become over the last few years with there gimmicks and desertion of gamers for pure profit on there wii.

#38 1 year ago
  39. viralshag

With all the tablet stuff going on, I really see no reason for anyone to own a WiiU (other than for the fabled franchises obviously) as pretty much everyone has a tablet or smartphone these days.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Lengendaryboss

@Reask+Viralshag
    Careful careful you will poke the bear.

#40 1 year ago
  41. monkeygourmet

Sorry, I was being beverage-ist :)

#41 1 year ago
  42. reask

@ legendary.
    I know but still you have to ask the question sometimes. :)
    I mean shag it we have xbots and ps3 fanboys going at it but ninty have become a joke imho over the last few years.

The threads say it all as there is hardly a hit on most of them whilst we await the next mario or whatever.

Sorry for been an ass but it is just the way I see it.

Francis o bithing MS announcing new games whilst he awaits the next mario.
    You have to laugh really.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Lengendaryboss

@Reask
    As much as i would like to comment on Francis’s preferences doing so will most likely lead to an attack.

#43 1 year ago
  44. monkeygourmet

But that is just bullshit, no matter how much you want to spin it.

Plenty of non-mario games available for Nintendo platforms, just because you haven’t bothered to look doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

Alot of stuff MS showed was multiplat, and alot will play / look better on PC and potentially PS4. So, there’s not a huge amount of celebrating to do yet, especially at that price?!

Wii U will be UNDER half the price of the Xbone at launch, and will have over 10 quality exclusives.

Obviously it’s not your ‘thing’, but, budget wise, and if your into games in genera, it’s a good option.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Lengendaryboss

@Monkey
    Remember people have different preferences and opinions, even if it doesn’t make sense to you.

#45 1 year ago
  46. monkeygourmet

To be fair, in this case; Francis just listed why it ‘didn’t put his fear’s to bed’, as what the title of the piece asked…

Don’t make him debate yo ass…

#46 1 year ago
  47. monkeygourmet

You didn’t take your own advice when commenting to Francis in @33?!

What kind of witch craft is this?!

He says one thing, and does the other?! Sorcery I tells thee..

#47 1 year ago
  48. Lengendaryboss

@Monkey
    To be fair its his generalisations i think that sparks a reaction from others, trust me i won’t like i said at 43 besides i don’t have the energy to argue at this time of night.
    Edit: i think i was summing up his view on Xbox One sarcastically.

#48 1 year ago
  49. viralshag

@44, You have to admit though it seems like bit of a wasted option? What’s the one thing we haven’t heard from EA, “Coming to WiiU!”

Ubi seem like a stronger supporter of the WiiU but if they don’t mention it then that’s a bit sad to get two mega publishers not even mentioning the console.

You have to ask is there really much future in the WiiU in comparison to even the 360. With the games and continued support of the 360, if anything the WiiU will be a “budget console” with that and the PS3.

#49 1 year ago
  50. reask

@ monkey.
    Sorry if you think I am been a bit harsh here but let me explain.
    I tossed around between 360 and wii before getting 360.
    I was so glad.
    Why you might ask?

Because the wii deserted me as a gamer.
    I like gritty shooters as such and adult leaning gameas.
    The wii was full of kiddie type games yet the ps360 catered for both with games like lbp banjo koozie to gears of war etc.

Tell me what the wii done?

#50 1 year ago
  51. monkeygourmet

No, honestly that’s fair enough.

Even I only have Nintendo consoles to complement other platforms. Had Wii to go along with 360 and Then PS3 eventually. I totally wouldn’t recommend get a Wii or Wii U as your only platform, that would be a mistake! :)

Wii had some gritty stuff, but I used it more for relaxing or unique gameplay experiences. Endless Ocean, Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, trauma Centre, that kind of stuff.

As for Wii U, it has more gritty games thanks to being more powerful, although if you want shooters; X1 or PC look the best places to go.

Also, doesn’t Pikmin 3 just warm that cold hard soul of yours?! ;)

#51 1 year ago
  52. polygem

nintendo made some great games for the wii. the 3ds is an awesome machine with great software. at least they try to innovate. they have fresh ideas and integrate those into their franchises. why can´t people see that mario galaxy is different to paper mario is different to nsmbwii is different to mario kart? what have we seen tonight this far? more of the same stuff with better lighting. not much innovation at all. for the next gen it wasn´t much. for now i wasn´t impressed at all. let´s be fair and wait for nintendos presentation. i bet they aint that lazy to just reskin cod, add some scifi flair with mechs to it and then call it a day.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Joe_Gamer

hey fiddle faddle
    the box had a battle
    It’s exclusives were sure to blow
    the Naughty Dog did laugh
    to see such a gaffe
    and the plumber ran away with the show

A lullaby for those of us whose console fears woke up and bit us in the used games…

#53 1 year ago
  54. Vice

yeah games look much better than ps4′s, however I still don’t want to buy it as long as it must check online every 24 hrs.

#54 1 year ago