Lightning Returns poster suggests PC release

Monday, 10th June 2013 05:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A promotional poster for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 shows PC listed alongside PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, something of an aberration for the console-focused franchise.

Destructoid has a photo of the poster in a bus shelter in Los Angeles.

No other promotional materials – including the RPG’s website – show the PC logo.

We’ve fired off a deeply curious email to Square Enix, but as its PR reps are probably all in or on their way to Los Angeles – perhaps for a big Final Fantasy reveal at Sony’s press conference or the publisher’s own broadcasts? – we’re unlikely to get a response in a hurry.

Some Final Fantasy games have released on PC, but usually well after console release.

Lightning Returns is due in February 2014.

Thanks, SplatteredHouse.

1. salarta

I’m not surprised, and it’s likely being done because the franchise is in such a horrible state due to people working at or for Squeenix (mainly Toriyama) fucking it up. A PC release means a boost to number of potential consumers, so if it sells more than past games that were console-only or exclusive to Nintendo or Sony, they can claim the game was well-received.

#1 1 year ago
  2. redwood

but who would want to play it on a pc?

#2 1 year ago
  3. LordSkyline

Considering I haven’t had a console since PS2/Original Xbox, probs me if it’s not a bad game

#3 1 year ago
  4. salarta

@2: Theoretically, people on Steam, especially with a discount.

It’s another case of a company seeing that there aren’t as many costs to putting something out digitally, and that it’s another potential revenue stream. That doesn’t mean in any way that it’d be better on PC, only that the company undoubtedly sees it as a way of boosting sales and making extra money off something they’re absolutely determined to release.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Unlimax

I hope it wasn’t a mistake .. I would love to see a PC version .

#5 1 year ago
  6. macronia

I’ll be damned .. I really hope this is true :D ..but if this true then I think we will see x-iii 1, 2 to understand the story at least something like ultimate edition as castlevania thing :)
    And by the way , square enix said awhile ago they want to focus on PC , maybe this one of their PC project

#6 1 year ago
  7. mehdidante

that would be awesome considering there is no similar game in this genre on pc (the last remnant is the only one i can remember). definite choice for me .

#7 1 year ago
  8. backup

PC gamers will be tortured by this shit

#8 1 year ago
  9. Vice

Well THAT was absolutely 100% unexpected. I sooner expected Halo 4 on PC than this one. Alright. Let’s see how it goes from here. Curious so far, curious indeed.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Astaroth

This would have made my day but sadly dualshockers got a reply from Square Enix’s Senior Public Relations Manager David Yang, stating that this was an error and Final Fantasy Lightning Returns will be released for XBOX 360 & PS3 only.

#10 1 year ago