The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt information escapes from July issue of Edge

Saturday, 8th June 2013 18:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is on the cover of the July issue of Edge Magazine, and one lucky NeoGAF user has given the Internet a summary of what the Witcher 3 feature contains.

According to the poster, the game will not contain a tutorial, as the developer have opted instead to introduce game and battle mechanics gradually. Geralt can now dodge which is closer to the “pirouettes” he pulls off in the books. He can also jump this time out.

He can also change his stance when it battle or when he is prepping for battle, such as when surrounded by monsters. Geralt will also make use of something called Witcher Sense – which the reader described as being similar to Batman’s detective mode.

This will allow Geralt to see weak spots on monsters – such as the Fiend shown in the magazine. He can also use this sense to outside of battles to re-create event when he needs to track a murderer for instance.

Players can also choose whether to spare to execute bandits, but whatever choice is made, they can still be looted, and there are no “fetch quests” this time out.

Like previously stated before, the magazine also mentions that choice and consequence will impact the entire game world, and the main story will run somewhere around the 50 hours mark. It will be another 50 hours long when you do all the other quests.

The team is also targeting 30fps on consoles.

According to the GAF poster, Edge was shown a demo of the game running in DX9, but the screenshots posted in the magazine came from the DX11 tech demo.

We won’t post the scans here, but you can see them over on AGB if you like.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is slated for a 2014 release on PC, PS4 and “other high-end consoles.”

1. Stephany Nunneley

THIS GAME. Please. Yes. Thank you.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Ercarret

Haha, I haven’t seen a writer of an article be the first one to comment it before. :D

But I agree. I want it yesterday.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 – :D I love these games.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Froseidon

Sounds good, still need to finish my playthrough of Witcher 2 :( Started it last year but other things got in the way.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Max Payne

I reed on wiki that game will run exclusively on a 64-bit windows.
    This also might be same for BF4.

#5 11 months ago
  6. The_Red

And we love writers who are passionate about great games.

Between Witcher 3, Lords of Fallen and Dark Souls 2 (Hopefully Demons 2), this is gonna be one amazing E3 for true RPGs.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Sadismek

I share your enthusiasm, Steph :D. I loved every bit of The Witcher 2, and I can’t wait to support the awesome guys from CD Projekt RED once more!

#7 11 months ago
  8. Gnosis

This and Cyberpunk 2077 are pretty much on top of my most wanted list. At least the realistic one.

#8 11 months ago
  9. ArcticMonkey

Jesus Christ, “Witcher Sense”?… I’m really sick of 9 outta every 10 games releasing with this overused mechanic.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Kalain

The Witcher 1 + 2 were both superb games. This is probably one of the only games I’m looking forward to so much, that I will pre-order it.

Actually, it makes sense since they are experts at killing monsters so they would know the creatures weak spots. It can be good providing they do it correctly.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Gnosis

@9: I think, it depends how they implement it into the game. In the end, there was something like this in the books too.

#11 11 months ago
  12. sh4dow

Could it really be? An open world RPG with vegetation that actually has halfway realistic density? I’m holding my breath.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Moonwalker1982

It’s good to see that the article says 30fps on consoles, cause so far the Xbox One version hasn’t been announced yet. And when recently in a interview it was asked if a X1 version was comig, the answer was incredibly vague. I mean CDPR was very quick to announce the ps4 version after sony’s show, but none about X1 yet. The dev said to wait until E3. It is possible that the game has gone pc and ps4 only, but would CDPR want to miss out on money from X1 copies?

#13 11 months ago
  14. monkeygourmet

That would seem insane considering Witcher 2 is on 360?

#14 11 months ago
  15. Keivz

PC, PS4 and “other high-end consoles.”

Only 30 fps? I suppose more would be too much to ask for a next gen open world game.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Moonwalker1982

Very true man. But i do not understand why the guy couldnt simply confirm it for X1. And i also remember an article way before ps4 was unveiled where they said….we will bring witcher 3 on whatever system that is the most powerful. But it could be anything. Maybe MS actually has CDPR on stage and want to krep it a surprise. We’ll know soon enough.

#16 11 months ago
  17. monkeygourmet

It’s pretty lame that we can’t have at least 1080p and 60fps locked though.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Moonwalker1982

So it wont even be 1080p? I guess 30FPS was to be expected, such a huge gameworld. I think we’ll bee seeig 60 in mostly racers and some shooters.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Blue Oni

Witcher sense???Why all modern games need to have crap like that?Fuck this shit.

#19 11 months ago
  20. noamlol2

30 FPS per sec?
    common! where’s the Next Gen in 30 FPS per sec?

#20 11 months ago
  21. backup

30 fps
    PC is holding this game back
    PS4 should be lead platform

#21 11 months ago
  22. Moonwalker1982

It really was to be expected. Except a lot of racers to be 60fps and several shooters, but big open world RPGs? 30fps sounds very realistic to me.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Night Hunter

Why would anyone really want 60 frames in a RPG? A steady 30 frames is more than enough! Racers, Shooters, Hack & Slays, that’s were 60 frames is actually a good thing. For a lot of other genres it’s mostly just better image quality and more fluid animations.

#23 11 months ago
  24. noamlol2

@24 well spoken

i forgot how much this game is supposed to be vast

they said it’s gonna be bigger then skyrim (although that sounds a bit like BS but who knows they have all the time in the world )

#24 11 months ago
  25. Dark

Polish weekly newspaper WPROST says Witcher 3 will be present at E3′s Xbox’s conference/unveiling.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Edo

@26 Sigh if true…

#26 11 months ago
  27. sh4dow

Because it looks much nicer? I can’t stand the camera stuttering around when I rotate it. That’s why ~50 fps is the acceptable minimum for me.
    In fact, I think you could especially make the argument that you don’t need 60 fps for racers because you rarely have sudden camera movement. Even when you drift around a curve, the movement is still a lot smoother than if you e.g. turn around in The Witcher.

#27 11 months ago
  28. Dark

@27 hey at least we will see the game in action.

#28 11 months ago
  29. Edo

@29 That is true…what can I,say after all,money makes the world go round.

#29 11 months ago
  30. Llewelyn_MT

Learn to read, console fanboys: “The team is also targeting 30fps on consoles.” PC games don’t have to be fps-locked. Sky is the limit.

#30 11 months ago