State of Decay sold over 250,000 copies through XBLA within 48 hours of release

Saturday, 8th June 2013 15:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Undead Labs has announced on its blog that State of Decay sold over 250,000 copies through XBL Arcade within 48 hours of release.

The only XBLA game which sold more at the same rate was Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition.

“We did not have an ad budget,” the firm wrote. “We didn’t have a physical copy to load onto shelves, no worldwide multimedia push, no studio reputation with millions of followers. All we had was what we believed was a great game and a great community. And make no mistake, a solid game is not enough, not in 2013. Plenty of great games wither away in obscurity.

“This train got rolling because you got out and pushed.”

Undead Labs said it has not forgotten about Germany or Australia/New Zealand and is working on getting the game released in those regions.

Formerly known as Class3, a PC version of the game is also in development a release date has yet to be confirmed.

State of Decay was released on June 5.

1. melonbuster1

Oh look at this. .. an independent selling on xbox. .Microsoft is in great shape

#1 1 year ago
  2. Oynox Slider

*sniff* I would like to play the game as well. Dumb youth protection.

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

Well deserved. I still can’t believe this is a downloadable game. It has more content and features a bigger world than some AAA titles.

#3 1 year ago
  4. xXNapsterManXx

I would have loved to add to this number but it isn’t available in Australia until next week.

#4 1 year ago
  5. super3000

it is very good rpg with lots of different things to do. scary and very tough. 15 hours in and lotss to explore.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ArcticMonkey

I’ll pick this up within a few weeks… Looks great, for a downloadable title, the only thing negative is the frame rate looked a bit wonky in an IGN video I watched.

#6 1 year ago
  7. chas

“A solid game is not enough…” if the devs truly think their game is solid, they truly are delusional. The thing about State of Decay is that despite your characters controlling like they are on a sheet of ice all the time and the absolutely horrid frame rate stutters among other things, it’s fun as hell.

#7 1 year ago
  8. KineticCalvaria

The frame rate is choppy, lots of screen tear, but the game is so good it doesn’t bother me.

I feel on edge the whole time I’m playing this, always a zombie sneaking up on me from somewhere and scaring the shit outta me. I try and avoid going too far at night cos it’s swarming with zombies, just scavenge a few local houses and run like a madman back to base.

#8 1 year ago
  9. raftos

“And make no mistake, a solid game is not enough, not in 2013. Plenty of great games wither away in obscurity.”

Yeah, Dead Island says “hi!”

#9 1 year ago
  10. Uncontested

Wasn’t this originally billed as an open world survival/strategy game? Is it still like that? I remember them saying way back years ago that you’d be able to set up bases, rebuild society, etc..

I’m sure plenty of that has gotten lost in development like any game, but I’m curious to know how much has stuck around?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

Holy shit. 15 hours in and still not finished? That definitely sounds like it is 100% worth those 1600 points. Friends of mine say…it’s ridiculous to ask 1600 points man, it’s an XBLA game. But when a game is this full of content and long, you can’t complain.

#11 1 year ago
  12. backup

TLOU = 96 on meta
    Xbots and pc beggers gets
    this shit