WildStar studio hopes to “fill the void” for people wanting a deep, hardcore MMO

Friday, 7th June 2013 19:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Carbine Studios’ game design producer Stephan Frost said the team behind the WildStar MMO are hoping to woo some of the 1.3 subscribers World of Warcraft lost between February and April this year.

Speaking with MCV, Frost said the team is making something different, and is crafting an unique structure in order for it to succeed where others have failed or have been forced to go free-to-play.

“We’re making something that’s different,” he said. “We’re coming out at a time when WoW is losing subscribers and we can fill the void for people who want an MMO that’s deep, hardcore but also accessible to people.

“We’ve found through betas and trade shows that MMO players understand our game. They can see the improvements we’ve made and notice that this game is something pretty cool.”

The gameplay in WildStar will depend on which class the player chooses, and is out later this year from NCsoft.

1. fearmonkey

There is something naughty about that title……lol..

#1 10 months ago
  2. DSB

I think the time is ripe for another MMO that takes raiding seriously.

Most devs seem to be real busy dumbing the gameplay down to a point where staring at the scenery or killing a boss with 100 random strangers doing their own thing is meant to be satisfying.

WoW has lost a lot more than 1.3 million subs, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one in that category who’s been hoping for another challenging, team-based MMO to come along. Sign me up.

#2 10 months ago
  3. OlderGamer

I am about to jump back into Rift now that it has turned f2p. I know it isn’t really what your looking for DSB. But it will pass the time.

#3 10 months ago
  4. fearmonkey

^^^I agree OG, Rift is a good game, I might try it again after it goes free to play. I am probably not going to really get involved in a MMO till TESO comes out. Even if its not great, i want to see the locations.

#4 10 months ago
  5. DSB

@3 “Dumbing down” was too harsh, but when I play an MMO that expects me to either grind mobs, explore the gameworld or participate in clusterfucks surrounding world bosses, I just lose a bit of my soul.

It feels like Farmville. You’re playing, but there’s really no reward beyond watching numbers go up.

I think too many MMOs have focused on ramping up that low intensity grind, while the raiding scene has pretty much been left with WoW.

#5 10 months ago
  6. GrimRita

heard all this shit before. Who remembers Borehammer? All that bull shit about not having ‘lets go fetch some bear paws’ quests, only to find that it was one of the staples of the game.

People will more or less 95% of the time try out a new MMO to see if it does offer something new. When they find it out it doesnt, they jump ship at record pace (SWTOR losing 1.7 million subs inside 3 months!).

If any developer had the bollocks to create a Star Wars Galaxies sandbox type MMO, I believe they would have a pure hit on their hands. Players are sick of the themepark dull as shit MMOs.

SWG had the right blend. People who wanted to fight – could, those who wanted to craft – could and those who wanted to do a bit of both – could.

Pricing of this will probably see if it does become a success and of course, how it plays out.

#6 10 months ago
  7. hitnrun

@6 Yep. All these Respected Interesting Successful Game Developers hold forth about what their new MMO is doing different and the starry eyed game journos pass it right along uncritically, and then it turns out that they’re full of shit, sometimes by 180 degrees.

At this point, Jeff Gerstmann could interview Shigeru Miyamoto about the focus of a new Nintendo MMO and the savvy game player could be forgiven for saying “fuck you, you’re both lying.”

Rift is hardly better by a lot of standards, but there’s no question it’s the best option out there. I wish they would ditch the incessant carnival event spamquest bullshit, though. That got old in 2006.

#7 10 months ago
  8. GrimRita

@7 I have just had a look at their website and thus far – rinse/repeat MMO generic classes…..

#8 10 months ago
  9. backup

PC is for facebook games word hardcore games belongs to Playstation

#9 10 months ago
  10. GrimRita

@9/10
    How can console fanboys gloat about a piece of hardware that is already out of date when compared to a PC? There is no argument.

#10 10 months ago
  11. DarkElfa

“WildStar MMO are hoping to woo some of the 1.3 subscribers World of Warcraft lost between February and April this year.”

They lost a whole 1.3 people?

#11 10 months ago
  12. Sylrissa

@GrimRita
    “Side note – Rift is a damn fine MMO. Great service, excellent community tools(youtube upload directly from the game anyone?!!) but charging a premium price really is hurting the game. £4.99 a month, and I am sure they could retain many players.”

Maybe you haven’t checked into Rift in a while, but it recently gave a full f2p option for people to play all of the game.

#12 10 months ago
  13. TheWulf

That’s how I feel about a lot of MMOs. Guild Wars 2 came the closest to making me love an MMO, but it was actually the aesthetics that drove me away from that rather than the gameplay (I’ll come back to this).

The problem: Fantasy and fantasy-inspired MMORPGs tend to be very copy-paste in how they handle skills and setting. Oh look, it’s a rogue with stealth and a backstab-stun move, how quaint. And look at yon ‘cities’ whose designers apparently forgot that we’ve been able to build structures taller than two-storeys high for a very, very long time, now.

The classes are the same. The setting is the same. The premise is the same. The characters are the same.

Now, I loved Guild Wars 2, but most of that was for the gameplay. The issue I had with it was that they didn’t push away from the fantasy standard enough. See, the Black Citadel existed in a void — once you stepped out of it, it ceased to exist. Even Torchlight II had traintracks and steampunk technology visible outside of the towns. But GW2 didn’t.

Why? This is a very important question. WHY didn’t GW2 have these things?

Because the MMORPG player is a shameless fantasy fetishist. They’ll put up with a bit of steampunk, but it has to be pocketed away in little ghettos where the majority don’t have to see it. WoW did exactly this. And whilst GW2 does it less, it still does it. That’s depressing.

The engineer of GW2 is a fine example. The gameplay is fun, but the engineer itself doesn’t feel very high-tech or over the top. It feels muted compared to other classes. And if you’re making a flamethrower feel muted, then you’re doing something wrong. But I know exactly why they’re doing it. Because they’re afraid of upsetting the fetishists.

The deceit of Wildstar is that it claims to be this BIG, SCI-FI MMO but when you look at the classes, it’s the same old fantasy bullshit. In fact, it’s even worse than GW2. WHERE is the technology? I don’t exactly see a lot of it in the game itself, it’s mostly based around cutscenes and such. I see a lot of swords, and I see a lot of magic, and I see a lot of idyllic landscapes.

Wildstar reminds me of Monster Island in Champions Online, which is just one of the Champion Online zones.

It’s Champions Online I keep coming back to. I don’t enjoy the gameplay of Champions Online quite as much as I do that of GW2, but I love< the setting. I adore it. It really, for once, keeps the promise of not falling back on purist fantasy bullshit.

Instead of cure three corrupted trees or collect three wolf dicks as a mission, I have travel to an alternate dimension and help a ragtag band of rebels overthrow a dictator who uses giant automatons of doom to keep the peace. I know which I prefer. And that’s exactly why I keep going back to Champions Online, because the WORLD is interesting, the MISSIONS are interesting, the PREMISE is interesting, the LORE is interesting.

And it leaves those fantasy purist MMOs in the dust in that regard.

To be honest, I wish more MMORPGs could be like Champions Online. I’m so very tired of harvesting bird feathers and yeti noses, in CO I’m stopping a prison riot or breaking into the lab of a mad genius.

I can only take away from it really that most people are really boring. And that most people are like stamp collectors, except instead of stamps they collect yeti noses and wolf dicks. So that’s why the MMO is stuck in the quagmire that it is, because the majority seems to like it that way.

But I’ll always have CO, at least. You guys can have your bland knights, yeti noses, centaurs, and wolf dicks. I’ll have my steampunk pirate swordsman werebear. :P

#13 10 months ago
  14. Tarawa

I like how alot of ppl suddenly do not have the time or money to play/pay for an MMO these days. Did everyone become more busy? or get paid less at their jobs? as opposed to 7-8 years ago?

#14 10 months ago
  15. Vice

There’s no place for hardcore mmos in this world. They’ll go full casual in few months as well.

#15 10 months ago