Forza Motorsport 5 will be 60FPS and run at 1080p

Thursday, 6th June 2013 03:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Forza Motorsport 5 will be the first in the franchise to move into full HD visuals, with Turn 10 Studios promising to maintain 60 frames per second thanks to the increased power of the Xbox One.

“I believe we’re uniquely positioned to deliver on that challenge. We’re a huge epic game that’s going to be running at 1080p, 60fps on the next-gen console, so it’s an incredible opportunity on one hand, but you have to be incredibly flexible and agile and self-aware on the other hand,” content director John Wendel told Gamespot.

This is Turn 10′s decision; Gamespot reported a quote from Microsoft’s Phil Spencer, published in Edge, in which the executive noted that the platform holder is not insisting all developers upgrade to true HD.

“I don’t think that platform holders can dictate what the internal frame buffer size should be. Forza 5 runs at 60 frames per second, but other people will make different trade-offs,” he said.

“Resolution is not the thing that maximises beauty.”

We don’t know very much about the latest Forza yet, but its announcement for Xbox One did include a first trailer and screenshots, which look pretty slick. Oh, and Top Gear is involved again.

Thanks, Units.

1. Bam007

And if rumours of true, would this still be a possibility?

“ESRAM yields are “troubling”, to put it lightly.”

The Xbox One may have to be downgraded slightly due to potential faults. Was rumoured, but now many people have come out and said that it is indeed a fact. Microsoft rushed and once again, they are going to start off a new generation with faults.

2. Units

Perfect Dark, Sacred 2 and Fifa Street 3 were 1920×1080 on 360

3. Ireland Michael

“Resolution is not the thing that maximises beauty.”

^ Pretty much that.

Fancy numbers are meaningless. I couldn’t care less about the resolution or the frame rate if the game has no soul, identity or depth.

4. SlayerGT

@2 I think the comment was speaking about GT5.

5. xxJPRACERxx

If they continue with that stupid high contrast shit look(with tons of white crush) and stupid major input buffering and poor physics then they can run the game in 4k at 120 fps in 3d, it will still be a POS!

6. superjay779

Wow lots of hate as usual. This is the one true system seller announced so far for me. I can’t wait to try it and I’m sure it’s going to look awesome.

7. superjay779

“This kind of numbers chatter is important to Xbox fans as the Xbox 360 was locked to a max resolution of 720p, something of a sore point in the console wars thanks to the PlayStation 3′s 1080p capabilities.”

Wow I play all my 360 games at 1080p resolution. Maybe we should start calling this site Sony247. I was hoping to get objective reporting at this site. Hmmm

8. Bill_E_Talent

“Wow I play all my 360 games at 1080p resolution”
    O RLY?

9. G1GAHURTZ

What a ridiculous bunch of arbitrary, unquantifiable demands.

“Soul”, eh?

I don’t think James Brown ever made a game…

10. G1GAHURTZ

…the Xbox 360 was locked to a max resolution of 720p, something of a sore point in the console wars thanks to the PlayStation 3′s 1080p capabilities.

Nonsense. Since when??

11. Jerykk

@3 That logic is flawed. You assume that technical prowess and strong art direction are mutually exclusive. Higher resolutions and higher framerates will always improve the overall experience, regardless of what you think about the art style or gameplay. If you enjoy the style or gameplay, higher resolutions and framerates will only increase your enjoyment. Therefore, neither resolution nor framerate are meaningless. Quite the opposite, in fact.

@7 Screen resolution is not the same as render resolution. The vast majority of X360 and PS3 games render at 720p or below, then upscale the image (essentially just stretching it out) to fit your screen resolution. This is bad because it results in a blurrier image and more pronounced aliasing. Rendering at your screen’s native resolution or higher looks much, much nicer.

12. superjay779

@8 RLY do you have a 360? Actually only a few of my PS3 games like Super Stardust and I think Wipeout go to 1080p. It’s odd because the PS3 is more powerful. All games should be up scaled to 1080p

13. superjay779

@11 It looks beautiful to me. Sony should have let me have the choice to upscale or not. Not cool. My TV turns black for like 2 seconds whenever it changes resolutions which is annoying when I’m going from the dashboard to the game. Not a big deal but 360 can do 1080p. Gotta stop with the lies.

14. SlayerGT

@10 since it didn’t initially ship with HDMI ports.

15. superjay779

@14 component cables go to 1080p smh

16. Bill_E_Talent

@15 If your talking upscale, then yeah sure, everything I run through my receiver is 1080p. But native 1080p, no, your 360 games are not acutally running at 1080p.

17. superjay779

@16 Fifa Street 3, Sacred 2:Fallen Angel, Virtua Tennis 3 (XBLA) Boogie Bunnies, PinballFX, Geometry Wars:Retro Evolved 2 are all games that are true 1080p. The Xbox 360 is not locked in at 720p. The author of this article really needs to check his facts.

18. SlayerGT

@17 “The author of this article really needs to check his facts.”

*her facts :) seems you do too. #weallmakemistakes

19. Brenna Hillier

I’m just going to delete the bit about resolutions. I was 100% certain the Xbox 360 only output in 720 but you’re all throwing a spack about it and I don’t have time to get on the phone about it, wevs.

Edit: also I am pretty sure @16 is correct here

20. SlayerGT

@19 I think so too.

21. Ireland Michael

@11 “That logic is flawed. You assume that technical prowess and strong art direction are mutually exclusive.”

No, I don’t. You’re simply inferring blanket negative meanings behind my words that I didn’t even remotely imply.

Technical prowess can obviously expand visual capabilities, and allow for creative ideas. Digital editing can also make a work of art more colourful, more detailed, more vibrant. A keyboard can allow writing to be done faster, and make editing much easier.

But none of that tops pure talent. And I think that’s true of gaming as much as it is any other medium.

I don’t think a piece of visual art is better simply because the oil painting isn’t as clear and detailed as the digitally created piece. In fact, in most cases I’d prefer the hand drawn picture. I don’t think a movie is a worse piece of creative work simply because its in black and white, nor do I think modern literature is any better than an unquestionable classic.

Because creativity is ageless.

Okami may look slightly clearer in its HD remake, but the game was already a masterpiece of design in its original state. It stood the test of time in its original form, and that’s all that matters. Ico was already a classic in its original form. Killer 7 is still one of the most visual creative games I’ve ever played.

Technology can help. But it isn’t necessary. A classic is a classic regardless of when it is made and the tools required to create it.

That said, bigger budgets *have* consistently seen games in recent years become far more limited in scope and depth in most (though not all) cases, despite the extra visual grunt behind them.

So yeah, as far as I’m concerned, the numbers are completely meaningful.

Then again, I think the graphics one current hardware are completely fine and find the never ending chase to break the glass ceiling of technical prowess a tedious bore. I enjoy my iPhone, DS and PS Vits games just as much as I do my PC titles and 360 / PS3 / Wii titles, and I’ve frankly never given a single flying fuck about the specs on any of them.

22. G1GAHURTZ

It’s very easy to do a quick google search, or click on the link provided above, and see for yourself that there are a number of 360 games that run in 1080p.

That’s a fact. Not an opinion.

23. Ireland Michael

Give the woman a break.

24. Brenna Hillier

@22 Giga, you’re right, it’s easy to quickly Google this stuff – but I did a quick Google before my first post and got contrary information. Since I honestly do not have time to track this down to official sources and find out which is which, I just erased the comment.

And owned up to it, transparently, might I add.

25. G1GAHURTZ

Sorry Brenna, I didn’t mean to come across as harsh.

I know you’re super busy, especially with E3 coming up.

26. Brenna Hillier

De nada. We’re cool, dude! *high fives*

27. G1GAHURTZ

lol!

28. mkotechno

No, they didn’t said 1080p, but excuses about resolution, so pretty sure will be 900p or even 720p.

29. tenthousandgothsonacid

Full marks to Brenna for use of the phrase “throwing a spack” lol

30. Erthazus

“Wow I play all my 360 games at 1080p resolution”

It’s called UPSCALE. It’s not 1080p. you play 720p game on the 1080p resolution that is not 1080p

Gosh…

31. machy

I can smile the blood in the water … can’t really wait to see some demos on x1 and ps4

32. DrDamn

Couple of points, superjay779 is correct there are some 360 games which output at 1080p native. The 360 has a decent upscaling chip so a lot of games render at 720p or below and then upscale to 1080p. That’s different to native 1080p.

@Michael – agree with the gist of what he’s saying. The games need some style and decent art direction. That can make a lot more difference than extra pixels.

However, that MS are even talking about this now does not bode well for future DF articles and fanboy wars. Not that I give a monkeys, if the game *plays* well mildly prettier graphics are just a extra layer of icing.

33. dscaler

Could someone please explain to me why developers have to stick with 30 or 60 fps? I mean 30 fps doesn’t have any error margin whereas 60 fps requires too much power. Why isn’t there anything like 35 or 40 fps standard? Thanks.

FYI: The terms I’m familiar with: V-sync, refresh rate

34. TrickyAudio

Never liked Forza games, always Gran Turismo for racing sims.

If they whacked out a new Project Gotham though, I’d be interested. Best racing game I ever played on an Xbox.

35. DrDamn

It’s to keep the refresh smooth as the TV output is 60fps regardless of what the console chucks out. Therefore for a smooth refresh the output needs to be a factor of 60.

60 frames per second means every frame the TV outputs is updated. 30 fps means every other frame is updates. 35 or 40 fps would be somewhere between those and therefore a mixture of every frame and every other frame etc. That doesn’t look as smooth and introduces a bit of judder.

36. superjay779

Ok Brenna thanks for fixing it. At least you owned up to it. @30 please read the other comments. 360 can do true 1080p. Yes most of my games are up scaled but to me they look awesome. I would rather play 720p games up scaled. Just my opinion.

37. Belmont

It’s great guys. Feel free to call Yamauchi for tips.

38. Moonwalker1982

On Beyond3d’s forum you can read from people who actually know their stuff that the Esram nonsense is exactly that….nonsense. Not worried at all.

39. ps3fanboy

one thing you can kiss goodbye this gen, if you buy an xbone. that is the 1080p, with the news that the xbone is getting even further downgraded. because of esram problems you will be looking at 900p and no dynamic shadows, global illumination or tesselation for the games.

40. envain

Dude clock speed has nothing to do with tessellation . The Xbox 360 gpu can do tessellation. And the esram would actually make the Xbox one more suitted to global illumination than the ps4 . Stop believing everything you read on forums.

41. Gekidami

^ What are you basing that off? According to the SSD dev, the PS4′s RAM gives it the advantage in that regtard:

“The way how the PS4 uses GDDR5, offers a higher bandwidth for demanding tasks. These include obvious as the graphics display with higher resolution textures or more sampling and filtering for visual effects – such as volumetric lighting and global illumination in real-time”