Xbox One: producer underlines appetite for interactive TV experiences

Wednesday, 5th June 2013 12:16 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One will deliver a range of interactive TV projects and features, and Rob Stevens of studio Soho Productions has stressed the desire among game developers and the television market to create increasingly interactive shows in the gaming space.

Speaking with OXM, Stevens said his company will create Xbox Live “Experiences where watching and participating are inseparable that will delight and enrich the lives of families everywhere”.

He added, “I think interactive TV will continue to be pushed forward by both the television and game industries. From conversations I’ve had, there is a strong will from the world of broadcast TV to explore new ways of reaching audiences.

“Likewise, game developers are realising there is a big appetite for more immersive interactive content, which we have decades of invaluable experience in making with games – creating this type of content for TV gives us the ability to reach a hugely diverse array of new audiences.”

Speaking directly about Microsoft’s position to deliver interactive TV experiences, Stevens added, “I think interactive TV for consoles will develop through devices such as Kinect, Xbox SmartGlass and connectivity with other platforms, allowing audiences to interact with shows in brand new ways and allowing show creators to make amazing new experiences. This for me is a really exciting prospect.”

Meanwhile, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is rumoured to be meeting with Hollywood execs to discuss Xbox One content.

Remedy’s Quantum Break will exist as a game and a TV show, where one side informs the other. Check out what the studio had to say about the ambitious project here.

What’s your take on Xbox One’s TV potential? Is it interesting, or should it be left out of the console? Let us know below.

1. ps3fanboy

omg, here we go again… they cant let go. by the look of it there is no room for xbone games at 3e. the xbots will be very disappointed…

2. mkotechno

Because the TV is the future.

3. tenthousandgothsonacid

TV ! TV ! TV !

4. Malmer

I like this development. Finally narrative gets more focus over multiplayer rinse and repeat gameplay. I know it might not fit well with many hardcore gamers, but for me, as a single player game player with limited amount of time available to commit to gaming this is exciting.

If they deliver quality they can have my money any day. But they had better deliver quality. I trust remedy on that, but cheap game tie-ins they can leave at home.

5. RandomTiger

@4 That’s one way of looking at it I guess. I like short single player experiences too. I’m not sure connecting games to TV shows will help quality though.

6. Joe Musashi

I have a healthy appetite to enjoy interactive TV experiences. That’s why I enjoy playing videogames.

JM

7. GoingPostal13

Pah, sceptics.

You wouldn’t want to be able to vote on The Voice by using Kinect One to punch your favourite contestant? Only 80 MSP a pop. Bargain.

8. Digital Bamboo

I’m going to have an interactive experience with my TV right now, by playing Half-Life 2. I may even watch a TV show on my laptop later, with no ads, for free. It’s truly amazing.

9. ps3fanboy

@4 im sure you don’t care about quality at all. as long you can let micro$haft have a sucking straw direct in your wallet you will be happy… you brainwashed xbot.

10. _LarZen_

If I watch a tv series or a movie I do not want a interactive experience. I want to watch and relax.

And I sure as hell don’t want people calling me on Skype so I can talk to them while watching a movie or series. I don’t think Microsoft is in touch with reality in regards of this content they so badly want to push on consumers.

11. ps3fanboy

@10_LarZen_, Xbone obvious desire… to FAIL!

12. salarta

Yes, I’m sure companies that want to make video games are far more interested in making TV shows than video games.

13. redwood

they just can’t catch a break :( i is sad for my xbot friends

14. tCruzin

This is fine with me as long as I can play my games. I’ll be ignoring most of the extra stuff anyway.

15. Malmer

@5 I’m ever the optimist until proven otherwise. :)

16. junguler

i’m bored already

17. redwood

“delight and enrich the lives of families everywhere” yeah… right..

18. zinc

Would not surprise me if all this simply means, vote for the ending tv shows & tailor made advertising.

I mean its nice that tv execs & devs are excited… someone has to be.

19. ScrewBot

I strongly believe that watching television and playing video games are two fundamentally different pastimes. Television is passive, gaming is active. When you play a game you are continually developing new tactics and you have to be alert in order to survive. Television may be engaging, but it doesn’t ask nearly as much from the viewer. The only thing they really have in common is the use of the same screen.

When I want to be challenged, I’ll play a video game. I definitely don’t want games to be more like television.

I, personally, don’t want TV to be “more interactive”. It’s fine like it is. I’m concerned that Microsoft’s idea of “interactive TV” will be: “Find out more about that product!”, i.e. more aggressive advertising.

Maybe this is going to be Microsoft’s response to Google: Advertising links for every marketable commodity you see on every television show.

20. The_Red

X1 is starting to look more and more like the 3DO (Huge box, media focus, TV / movie interactivity with games).

21. mkotechno

I didn’t even put a blu-ray movie in my PS3 in 7 years, why the fuck I should be interested in TV TV TV extras (now priorities)?

22. Metroid455

Just what on Earth are MS on? granted I have ZERO interest in the XOne but are MS really this delusional and out of touch with gamers?

23. The_Red

MS is trapped in the 90s / CD rom era of “interactive movies / TV”.

24. manamana

They make it really hard not to jump on the MS-bashing-bandwagon, don’t they?! They’ll probably get their fair share but playstation looks so much better already and they didn’t even show anything meaningful. Just the focus on games and gamers …

25. polygem

personally absolutely zero interest in this.
    a great single player game must not be all about the narrative. it must not be about a story presented in a moviesque kind of way. in fact i personally prefer single player games that focus more on gameplay. take demon´s and dark souls, shadow of the colossus etc…they have a story but they´re not story first, gameplay second, they find different ways to suck you into the world you are interacting with. they present the story in a way that does not hurt your gameplay experience and at the same time offer an enormous amount of replay value. a movie game is much more about just consuming the whole thing, at least to me. i didn´t enjoy heavy rain at all…boooored to death by that game.
    to me this is just gaming going even more mainstream and as much as i think everyone should be encouraged to get into this great experience called gaming, this is not the way i would want it to go. i prefer nintendos take on this…much more honest. with the game in focus and not a movie.
    that´s just my take on this.

26. salarta

@24: I think Sony actually showed quite a bit, and the only thing they haven’t really shown so far is the physical look of the console.

We saw games, we saw there will be in ability to talk with other people while playing games if desired and the ability to watch people stream their games, we saw that there’s a Share function that includes video capture as a built-in feature for the very first time in any system. We know that Sony will be using Gaikai to allow for downloading and playing games without a long wait, and we’ve thus far been told that Sony won’t be blocking used games.

The PlayStation Eye bundled in made me worry at first that you might need to have that hooked up if you want to play games, but I found when looking around that the controllers still operate by Bluetooth, so the camera connected shouldn’t be required. The only things I’m worried about at the moment are if I’ll be able to put my downloaded games onto the PS4, and if the Playstation Store will suck like the one on PS3 does now after they redid it.

27. Ireland Michael

I would say its the people who think that consoles should be solely relegated to being video game devices that are the ones “out of touch”. You’re the ones living in the past in that regard, not Microsoft.

TV still seems like a stupid option though. And it’s irrelevant to me as a consumer anyway. It’s going to be almost exclusively American region stuff for the first few years anyway.

Watch this: http://youtu.be/sWcKtJj5_oY

It’s a parody, but its a rather truthful one.

28. fightclubdoll

Again…

TV on the TV

Microsoft is killing me with this.
    I’ve heard about the games I’ll be losing. The games I might not be able to rent or buy used without impossible prices and complications. I’ve heard that I’m forced to accommodate a Kinect, which is still extremely unpopular among serious gamers (and Kinect 2.0 has done nothing to convince us yet).

The only thing I see offered to fill the void or compensate is TV. And that just doesn’t cut it for an avid gamer who plays seriously and loves games.

TV IS GARNISH. If I wanted it so badly I’d watch it on my laptop or I’d go really buck wild and get ripped off to have cable.

But no, I GAME. If I buy a gaming console, it’s for GAMING.

Want to impress me with interactive TV? Let me pick up some evidence and hand it to Bones while she’s digging up a crime scene. Can’t do that? Then, forget it.

If I want to Skype? Laptop. If I want to surf the internet while watching TV? Laptop again. Surfing the web on Xbox is not useful/fun.

I’m frustrated every time I see the words “Xbox One” near “TV” now.

They want non-gamers, “new audiences” to buy a console now for TV?
    The top-selling console maker wants to concentrate their efforts on courting non-gamers for something non-gamers essentially already have.

Seriously, Microsoft, you’re killing me.

And where are the “Living Games” …apart from EA Sports and Defiance?

Discouraging and depressing.

29. Cobra951

@20: The 3DO was a piece of crap as a gaming machine. Way underpowered, especially for the money, with a shockingly bad D-pad (and no such thing as analog sticks). It was my single worst experience with a console, and woke me up about early adoption of new formats. The media focus wasn’t its downfall.

@8: Shhh! Don’t get too loud with that common sense. You’ll upset the natives.

30. manamana

@27 no console dares to be a “game only” device nowadays. It hardly can be, whith all those gadgets, apps and tablets around. And yet because of those gadgets smartphones, apps and social everywhere, it’s good to focus primary on games for a videogames console, imho.

Nobody lives in the past, or whatever you try to assume. But yeah, you can pose infront of the telly and scream at it all day long, if you think thats the future of videogames consoles. Or tv series/games crossovers. Or skypeing whilst being in an endboss battle. Tv already lost its attention to smartphones and tablets. A new “entertainment”-center wont cater to this audience as the caravan moves on and on.

Edit: with you I mean one. Not an english native speaker here …

31. Cort

@27 Entirely agree. But it was MS which spent several years attacking and mocking Sony for including non-gaming features on their seventh-gen hardware.