Wii U Basic being pulled from GameStop – rumour

Wednesday, 5th June 2013 00:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Rumour has it GameStop will no longer sell the Wii U Basic – the white console with an 8GB HDD – from mid-June. However, the console is still available for the foreseeable future in the UK.

The rumour comes via Kotaku, which cites anonymous sources for word of an internal memo informing staff that the Basic console bundles are to be returned to Nintendo.

The change goes into effect on June 18, one week after Nintendo’s E3 event.

Naturally, neither Nintendo nor GameStop have commented on the matter, making it impossible to determine the cause of the alleged returns.

Nintendo UK has told GI International it has no plans to pull the sku from UK retailers, stating that whatever the case may be in the US, it’s “definitely not something that’s happening in the UK.”

No other retailers seem to have dropped support for the Basic bundle, although it’s probably worth remembering that it has enjoyed a couple of price drops, and that Nintendo Japan recently announced a white Premium bundle.

It’s not hard to envision a future in which Premium bundles are standard, and these unopened Basic bundles are recycled with upgraded hard drives – but that would, of course, be pure speculation.

1. ps3fanboy

its finally happening guys, the wii-utanic is going down… to be honest i feel a bit sad at the moment. it was expected but not this fast.

as the saying goes the band played on…

rip wii-u 2012-2013

2. JPickford

Grow up.

3. Sini

obligatory wiiu dead vid, although it’s deluxe model in that vid..

4. melonbuster1

It should have always been the largest hard drive. . The basic is a waste

5. Joe_Gamer

Bunch of people who have never ACTUALLY played the Wii U in these comments talking shit lol. The Wii U is fantastic, FOR KIDS GAMES, which is what I bought it for, because that’s what the fuck it’s for. You are not the target demographic for Nintendo. I know, I know, you’re all special little snowflakes…don’t be sad little buddy, sometimes you have to let the other kids have some toys…

Nintendo’s first party games sell more copies than any third party shovel-ware short of CoD, they will be just fine.

It is too expensive, The HDD is too small, and the tablets usefulness is…situational at best, but for kids games, NO ONE does it better than Nintendo.

But it has no games! True, except for the massive back catalog of fun Wii games available due to it’s BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY…

6. livewired500

“The Wii U is fantastic, FOR KIDS GAMES, ”

my kids played it. they hated the controller pad. My 7 year old who has played the Wii the most and enjoys all the games thought the pad was “way too too big and annoying to use.” He asked me if there was a “normal controller?”

His other comment was good. “Why is the new Mario just like the Wii Mario? That’s stupid. They made the same game.”

I can’t say I disagree with him.

7. backup

inspite of earning show much profit with shitty 10$ hardware Wii
    ninty came with low hardware they deserve to be kill

on other hand sony inspite of losing money made most powerful console

8. mistermogul

Maybe this will make Nintendo realise that people want more than a measly 8Gb of storage!

9. gameon

@6 – lol, that’s the same thing my daughter said when I let her play New Super Mario Bros Wii U. “That game is the exact same game as New Super Mario Bros. Wii!”

Still, I foresee a future for the Wii U, because Xboner en PS4 will probably sell for 500+ euros/dollars. Or should I say, will NOT sell. I think the Wii U will still be the best in the next (last) console generation, the best of the worst so to speak.

10. TechRyze

…except neither model has a hard drive.

11. dreamcastnews

Christ, here we go again with the anti-Nintendo rallies.

12. The_Red

This could be a simple / limited recall of a certain SKU but I think (want to believe) that Nintendo is preparing for a price drop for other SKUs to push Wii U in the wake of PS4 / X1.

13. Christopher Jack

I tried to play a Wii U once in-store. The tablet controller was broken, I got the picture.

14. Stephany Nunneley

Updated with Nintendo UK comment. It’s not happening in the UK apparently.

15. Clupula

@9 – But anybody who isn’t getting a PS4 or an Xbone, already has a PS3/360/Wii, so why would they need a new system?