Spelunky HD arrives on PC this summer alongside PS3 and Vita versions

Wednesday, 5th June 2013 18:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The HD version of Spelunky will be released on PC this summer, according to developer Mossmouth. It’s the XBLA version of the game which was released in July 2012. It will release on Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store. The PS3 and Vita versions, which are being handled by Blit Game Studios, will also release this summer. Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Lengendaryboss

@Steph “Blit Game Studios” or Blitz Game Studios :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. The_Red

FUCK HELL YES.
    Sorry but I’m over-over excited for this. XBLA version is among all time faves and I’d kill for a Vita version plus steam enabled PC one.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheWulf

Yep. It’s not surprising that it’s coming back to the PC now that the exclusivity plan is over. …this seems to be standard console indie M.O. at the moment.

1.) Release on console, get exclusivity profits.
    2.) Make a decent amount of sales.
    3.) Release on PC, and get a ridiculous amount of first week sales on Steam.

I remember the Super Meat Boy devs said that they made more in the first few days on Steam than they made in a number of years on the 360. So I think the plan is to just get those juicy exclusivity profits, because all of what indie devs have said so far is that indie games just don’t sell as well on consoles as they do on the PC.

I think I know why, though. XBLA and the PSN just don’t give indies as much of a public face as Steam does. Steam loves raising awareness of indies and often puts them right up there on the front page with the latest AAA titles (one of the reasons I love Steam). Whereas the XBLA and the PSN (to a lesser extent, but it still does) tend to hide indie games away like their secret shame, in favour of AAA games.

Due to first week sales on Steam, I’m not surprised they’re going about this this way. Console first for exclusivity bonus, spend the time in-between patching and upgrading the game, then release it on the PC as a polished product to get front page Steam billing.

Seems smart, really.

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

With you there. I’m hoping they’ll bring it to other mobile platforms like iOS and Android, too. There have been some pretty nice ‘gamepad’ attachments of late for those devices and with more support for them it would make iOS/Android a great place for indies.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

Couldn’t agree more. This is a game that deserves to be on as many platforms as possible. The HD version is the ultimate rogue-like / platformer IMHO.
    The new chapter (Hell) and its requirements give a true sense of purpose to the previous / main 4 chapters in a mad but also kinda meaningful way. I mean, the first time I go to hell… my god, there was Demon’s Souls / Mega Man classic sense of accomplishment. Also, with steamworks (hopefully) this game can become even greater.

#5 1 year ago