Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning sales line Rhode Island’s pockets

Wednesday, 5th June 2013 23:12 GMT By Brenna Hillier

After the publisher’s cut, proceeds from ongoing sales of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning go to the State of Rhode Island, primary creditor of shuttered developer 38 Studios.

The state’s lawyer, Richard Land of Chace Ruttenberg & Freedman, told Gamespot that it has benefited from ongoing sales of the RPG to the tune of $713,000 since the property and related assets defaulted to it last year.

The game is still on sale because EA still has the right to sell and profit from it, which is lucky for Rhode Island.

These sales were all made via Steam; physical copies of the game still in stores do not profit Rhode Island, and there was no mention of Origin, EA’s own digital distribution service.

Rhode Island also made $430,000 selling off 38 Studios’ physical assets, a process which began in October 2012.

The Amalur IP, which was a joint effort from R.A. Salvatore, Todd McFarlane and Ken Rolston – among others – is still up for grabs, with several parties showing interest.

The state is suing 38 Studios , which went bankrupt with a huge load unpaid. There are tears and recriminations on both sides, with 38 Studios saying the state was not supportive enough and the state saying 38 Studios was reckless with money. Rhode Island is investigating washing its hands of the whole affair.

Reckoning met mixed reviews, as it suffers from quest glut and a little bit of fantasy fatigue, but it has loads of content and one of the most satisfying action combat systems of any RPG, as well as some unique seting and story features.

1. DSB

Hold up. You’re not implying that this has in any way been good for Rhode Island, are you?

Even if Rhode Island made 10 million on Amalur, they would still be 65 million dollars in the hole.

According to the Providence Journal, Rhode Island will actually be paying 112 million dollars including interest, as a result of the misadventures of former governor Ronald Carcieri and Curt Schilling.

Not exactly an amazing way to “earn” short of 2 million dollars. It’s more like throwing pennies in to try and fill a gaping abyss, than it is lining the pocket.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Malmer

The game might not be skyrim in terms of scope and tech. But I had way more fun with this gem. Absolutely LOVED the combat. Only thing missing was party members to create deeper bonds with and a voice for the main character.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Brenna Hillier

@1 no, I’m just passing on the state of affairs. I do think it’s lucky for Rhode Island that it’s getting some cash back at all – lucky in the sense that contracts are so tangled it might not have got anything to help defray its massive loss, not lucky in the sense of “oh hey what a sweet bonus”.

#3 11 months ago
  4. DSB

@3 My bad then. I guess it was really just because it said “lining the pockets”. To me that means that someone is getting rich.

Initially there was a lot of gamer backlash against Chafee, and I thought that was wildly unfair. He was against the guarantees to begin with, and he seemed to be one of very few politicians in Rhode Island that was actually looking out for the states interests.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Digital Bamboo

I bought a physical copy of this in 2011, though I have yet to play it.

I’m waiting until after I play Monster Hunter Tri & Dragon’s Dogma, as I suspect Amalur has the best combat of the three.

Glad my money didn’t go to the state of Rhode Island, I guess(?)

#5 11 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I feel bad for Rhode Island. As RPGs go, Amalur was stale. There was just no imagination to it whatsoever, it was the most uninspiring thing I’d been exposed to in quite some time that wasn’t a grey-brown shooter. In fact, it was so mundane that the lead developer went out of his way to attack more creative endeavours, saying that creatively inclined games were all pretty shit and that people sought only familiarity. What an unmitigated arse he was. Deeply unpleasant.

Everyone fell in with the big con that it was. I just don’t feel that a lot of effort was put into the game, it felt very phoned in, very troped. The whole thing felt like a giant money grab, and for a time that actually worked. They really screwed Rhode Island over, didn’t they?

I’m hoping the people most responsible for the con will have trouble finding jobs in the future. We don’t need another Amalur.

#6 11 months ago
  7. TheWulf

It was TERA. The combat is serviceable (though nowhere near as good as a proper action brawler), but everything else was horrible to the point of being painfully bad. It was just shallow, one-dimensional, and missing a lot of the functionality that a lot of good roleplaying games have.

You know, like a story, or deep, engaging lore, or characters that aren’t just characterless one-liner dispensers, or player choice and consequence, or customisation, or… I could go on like this.

#7 11 months ago
  8. roadkill

Wulf what you said at 7 was about TERA or Kingdoms of Amalur?

#8 11 months ago