The E3 2013 press conferences: when and what

Tuesday, 4th June 2013 11:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

VG247 will bring you total coverage of E3 and its press conferences beginning next Monday with Microsoft and Xbox One. Head inside for stage-show timings and hints at content.

Every year I start this piece by saying we’ve arrived at this time of year again, so I won’t do that. E3 2013. The Whopper; the Big Mac; the Zinger Tower of all video games expos. If E3 2013 were a Starbucks beverage, it would be venti peppermint white hot chocolate with whole milk and whipped cream. Back to LA. Thank you. Uh-huh. You’re welcome.

This year’s E3 is, of course, different. I’m going, for one, a subject around which I harbour mixed emotions as it’s the other side of the fucking planet and the main news elements have been internetalised for years. My perpetually angry self and its dazzling display of shortsightedness has been forced to shut up on this occasion, as press conference streams are hardly the point. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One necessitated the trip. However much you hate E3 (and I very much do), it’s the best place to understand Microsoft and Sony’s place in games and their intentions therein. E3 allows one to see the console machine firsthand, to embed oneself base-deep in the clenching, blue-green corporate message. It’s more revealing than any other games event. A box on a monitor can’t replicate looking into the off-the-record eye.

Sony and Microsoft are to attack E3′s press conference culture with such ferocity this year that Nintendo has taken the unprecedented step of removing itself from the main stage. No matter how often gaming’s internet and development communities claim we’re seeing the declination of console fortunes, Xbox and PlayStation are still the totality of the video gaming experience for tens of millions of people. The reasoning behind the next generation of TV boxes may no longer be gaming’s single future, but it is certainly a huge part of it. What we will see in Los Angeles next week will impact all of us for decades.

Here’s a breakdown of the press conference timings and an idea of what to expect. Some stuff we can’t talk about, and some people are being suspiciously quiet, but you’d be crazy to miss these. So don’t. We’ll have embedded video and live coverage of everything.

Microsoft (Monday, June 10, 9.30am PST – hit this for local times)

Microsoft has a lot to do. Xbox One’s reveal came under extended fire for veering towards television features instead of games, and subsequent revelations about snooping Kinects and secondhand licenses have had the internet all of a tizz. Xbox execs have repeatedly assured that 2013′s media briefing will be wall-to-wall software, and there’s every reason to believe them. Microsoft may fall short of announcing firm prices and dates for Xbox One, but this has to be hard-hitting. Don’t miss it.

EA (Monday, June 10, 1.00pm PST – hit this for local times)

Expect EA’s focus to be on Battlefield 4. Need For Speed, “a full range of EA Sports games,” and a first look at the publisher’s Star Wars partnership with Disney are also confirmed. EA’s place on next-gen consoles will obviously form part of this presentation, but you may be left wondering what happened to the megaton. Unless you’re hard for Mirror’s Edge 2, that is.

Ubisoft (Monday, June 10, 3.00pm PST – hit this for local times)

Ubisoft traditionally does well at E3, and this year’s unlikely to be any different. Watch Dogs, Assassin’s Creed 4 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist will be the main hits, and Rainbow Six: Patriots is a dead cert. There could be some good surprises here: a next-gen Beyond Good & Evil 2 reveal would cap things off nicely.

Sony (Monday, June 10, 6.00pm PST – hit this for local times)

Sony will write the final chapter to Microsoft’s prologue before the E3 expo itself has even begun. The necessity of Sony fronting multiple formats in these conferences occasionally leads to unbalance, but PS4 will undoubtedly be the focus. The PlayStation project has been making all the right noises to core gamers since PS4′s New York reveal in February, and you can expect the fan-friendly anti-DRM and pro-indie messages to continue at E3. There will be big guns. Uncharted 4? Probably. Again, solid release dates and prices may come later in the summer, but this has to be worth staying up for.

Nintendo (Tuesday, June 11, 7.00am PST – hit this for local times)

Nintendo won’t be holding a main press conference this year, but there will be a Nintendo Direct stream on the Tuesday morning. Watch it here.

VG247 will bring you blanket coverage of E3 beginning Monday next week.

1. Dragon246

@Pat,
    Please leak everything, seriously. I am going out to a crappy internet zone on 10th, just before Sony and MS conferences.
    Please Pat, I am patting on ya :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. Patrick Garratt

Seriously, certain people are being extremely cagey. I know a few things, but I reckon there’ll be some proper earth-wobblers I have no knowledge of. Just watch the site – Steph, Dave and Brenna will have all the news, no no streaming necessary :-D

#2 1 year ago
  3. No_PUDding

Haha, yeah, you’re gonna be a big shot novelist anyway, you can afford to get blacklisted. Go out with a bang dragging some embargoes and NDAs down with you.

:P

Try have a good time mate, even if it’s hassle.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dragon246

@Pat,
    Dont worry, you have my readership :)
    I will really miss the streaming, so I hope I can get the details early.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Moonwalker1982

Next week is going to be extremely exciting but also extremely busy and tiring, haha. I write for a gamesite as well and we’ll be covering everything and god knows how much news there’ll really be. Good thing MS starts at a very nice time, EA and Ubi too, but Sony is like 3 in the morning here, but ah well. No biggie once every year.

#5 1 year ago
  6. mistermogul

And…

7a.m. PT on June 11

#6 1 year ago
  7. Patrick Garratt

@3 – :-D

#7 1 year ago
  8. TheKeyPit

Thanks for adding “hit this for local times”. Laziness FTW xD

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

Well I’m not working Monday and it’s a good job too. The missus wants a ‘family’ day so I think I’ll have to work hard to get back in time for the MS show. Bit of a shame that Sony is on so bloody late so maybe I’ll go full media black out and catch it up on Tuesday :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. Edo

@8 I second that :) .

#10 1 year ago
  11. XDamage

This is going to be epic! :D If I didn’t have a university mathematics exam on the 11th, I would stay up watching the Ubisoft and Sony ones.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Patrick Garratt

@6 – I’ve added in that link. Thanks. We will have coverage of the Nintendo announcements, obviously.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Panipal2005

Only an hour for the Sony one? It’s 2 hours, surely?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Pytox

the wait between ubi conf & sony will be enormous

#14 1 year ago
  15. Patrick Garratt

Sony will be about two hours, probably, yeah. I just put one hour on that planner as a placeholder.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Pytox

@15 do you know if mark cerny will present some more at the sony conference? :D

#16 1 year ago
  17. Patrick Garratt

@16 I’ve no idea :D

#17 1 year ago
  18. Dragon246

:D means he will be there guys, understand the cues!

#18 1 year ago
  19. kadu

EA will obviously show Dragon Age 3, won’t they?

#19 1 year ago
  20. SplatteredHouse

Cerny is probably a better call for Sony presenter than (other than giving an introduction) Jack Tretton, but Mark Cerny is also hardware. A designer. I’d not be surprised to find more time given to guest presenters, eager to tell us more about new games. The kind of games, the first look at which way the creative part of the games industry is headed, is but less than a week away!

#20 1 year ago
  21. CyberMarco

I’m curious what Ubisoft has up its sleeve. For me, they had the best presentation the past 2 years, with Rayman and Far Cry 3. Let’s see if they are to the task again.

#21 1 year ago
  22. tezzer1985

I’m pumped for E3, VG247 have not let me down so far, in terms of E3 coverage, looking forward to next week.

#22 1 year ago
  23. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not hyped for this E3 anymore.

I was, but after the reveals, I’m convinced that MS could well go out with a whimper, and Sony might just show a bunch of slightly higher res PS3 games…

#23 1 year ago
  24. backup

zero gamers attending MS conference

#24 1 year ago
  25. Digital Bamboo

@8 Yes, those auto-local time links were an excellent call.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to watch any of these live, except for Nintendo. Ah well, I’ll still be able to see everything once it’s all nice and sorted into bite-size highlight bits.

Pret-ty psyched for this, I must say.

#25 1 year ago
  26. viralshag

Considering Europe is one of Sony’s biggest hotspots, their conference is probably the worst timed of the lot.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Hunam

I only want Mirror’s Edge 2. Everything else is a bonus.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Erthazus

I’m interested in third party and Sony only. Microsoft just likes to go with a BANG and then it’s just disappoints.

but i’m actually looking forward for Quantum Break (that will be on the PC anyway.) and RYSE from Crytek. RYSE can show us what next gen is all about.

#28 1 year ago
  29. JimFear-666

the sony conference is only 1h long?

edit : nvm, i just saw what pat said at #15

#29 1 year ago
  30. powerbuoy

Anyone know if YouTube will be streaming the event? Imo it’s the only streaming site that actually works well.

#30 1 year ago
  31. salarta

Sony seems to be doing everything right since their initial reveal. For all the cries for seeing the physical system, Sony focused on what mattered most for their initial reveal, the games and game-related functionality. What the console looks like is largely a moot point, since anyone deciding not to buy a console solely because it looks silly (assuming it does) has no idea what they’re doing when it comes to video games.

And here, too, Sony is doing right. Microsoft is kicking off the events, but a lot of their buzz will get washed away by subsequent announcements by EA and Ubisoft. By contrast, Sony will be the last conference of the day, meaning what they say and do on the stage will be the last word and the one thing most heavily talked about for the rest of that evening into the next morning. By timing of announcements, Sony got the first word AND the last word in on the matter.

There’s risk to that, sure, but that’s only a problem if Sony REALLY screws something up. Although, Microsoft going first could still be beneficial for Microsoft, because if Microsoft says or does something undeniably idiotic and anti-consumer in nature, the following presentations will distract people from discussing them.

Also, I wish we had another Konami conference like the last one they did. Minus the eventual turn toward depressing at seeing good franchises ignored or ruined, most of the last Konami conference was hilariously bad.

#31 1 year ago
  32. viralshag

@31, It will be the last conference of the day… in the US, which isn’t exactly their strongest territory compared to MS. By the morning it will be equal footing depending on how the conferences go.

If MS put on a good game filled show, followed by anything EA and Ubi might be working on specifically with MS, they could essentially be mentioned throughout the whole day.

Sony would potentially have to end on a very high note.

#32 1 year ago
  33. junguler

looking forward to sony’s conference
    and hopefully we can get to see the console itself

#33 1 year ago
  34. viralshag

Personally, I can’t wait to see what the PS4 looks like.

#34 1 year ago
  35. powerbuoy

I hope Vg247.com switches to something like Disqus (not FB-comments, please! (not everyone uses FB)) with the redesign. So many times I’ve wanted to upvote or downvote comments, reply properly (the number system doesn’t work at all on mobile) etc.

Thought of that now cus I wanted to +1 salarta’s comment.

#35 1 year ago
  36. salarta

@32: The risk of this is probably the reason behind Sony saving an unveiling of the physical system until E3.

Frankly, I think the only risk Microsoft presents for Sony at E3 is of Microsoft botching things just as bad as how they did with their recent announcement or worse that people care more about discussing XBox One’s failures and shortcomings than anything Sony.

#36 1 year ago
  37. redwood

as a sony fan I find Don metrick’s Pic on an E3 news appalling, and unfair… I demand that you also have Kaz up their too.. but not Reggie.. he is too chubby.

#37 1 year ago
  38. ArcticMonkey

@38 LOL

#38 1 year ago
  39. noamlol2

just 5 more days…

#39 1 year ago
  40. AsianGameing

i am ready for E3

#40 1 year ago
  41. Takeshi

So fucking psyched for E3. The surprise reveals we’ll end up with, more great console news and more gameplay stuff for things we’re already exited for.

Will watch Microsoft and EA. Sony and Ubisoft will have to wait until the next morning.

And yeah, thanks for the local times bit. You know people will be asking for it. ;)

#41 1 year ago
  42. DevilsAdvocate

So guys, is there a stream of this somewhere or…?

#42 1 year ago
  43. Gheritt White

M-M-M-M-MEGATON! This is gonna be HUGE!

I’ve been looking forward to this E3 since 2009. Finally time to see what next gen looks like.

#43 1 year ago
  44. zinc

@45, No. This is the E3 where we see how many of our toys are taken away.

Apparently we’ve been naughty .

#44 1 year ago
  45. NeutralBlade

@46 I agree. I can’t get excited about E3, when next-gen restrictions are a serious issue. I just want the news, so I’ll know what I have to look forward to, over the next 6 – 8 years.

Hopefully Sony will announce far less restrictions than Microsoft, and Nintendo will state they have no plans to introduce such restrictions in their products. If consumers can get that much, then yeah, there will be something to smile about.

People can make all the excuses and comparisons they want, but many of the popular digital services offer products at considerably cheaper rates; versus the console market’s lackluster discounts, which will only become even less once more sales competition is eliminated via restrictions.

In my opinion, there is no reason to get or be excited over a $60 rental. Accepting restrictions will only lead to more restrictions. If the consumer doesn’t fight corporate greed, they will just continue to take more, while giving less away. So let’s hope E3 has good news for us, as next-gen is going to be long, and what happens will depend on how much the consumer cares about ownership versus full-price rentals.

#45 1 year ago
  46. fearmonkey

@46 and 47 – I’m with you guys, Im excited to see the games, but that excitement is offset by the dread that Sony will go DRm as well. I am hoping Sony gives me a reason to be excited about their console tommorrow since MS has made me decide not to go Xbone.

I hope gamers don’t just swallow what MS does (and maybe sony), I would like to see gamers actually stand up to these corporate favored restrictions.

I rent alot of games from Gamefly, and I hate to see that end.

#46 1 year ago
  47. MadFingerz

*Checks the events on his local time*

Sony’s conf at 2am…fuck

#47 1 year ago
  48. xBASSxMONSTAx

@49 – They save the best for last. ;)

#48 1 year ago
  49. Telepathic.Geometry

@Pat: I know you have NDAs to honour, but when you said: “…and you can expect the fan-friendly anti-DRM and pro-indie messages to continue at E3.”, can we really? I desperately want to believe it, but…

#49 1 year ago
  50. Monk

4am here, but thank god that I’m off this week, because I dedicated myself to watch all the conferences whatever it’s
    Crappy or not.

#50 1 year ago
  51. redwood

*checks his local time* guess i will be going late to work tomorrow :D

#51 1 year ago
  52. Pytox

why don mattrick on the pic again

#52 1 year ago
  53. Sadismek

@52 Oh, it’ll be at 4 am here as well, where are you from?

#53 1 year ago
  54. ps3fanboy

get ready to be skrewed outta the game biz mickey$oft!!

#54 1 year ago
  55. Kabby

You get Mattrick pics because he looks like a gormless fool.

#55 1 year ago
  56. redwood

Don Mattrick! we meet again!.

#56 1 year ago