Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter “temporarily” cancelled

Tuesday, 4th June 2013 22:21 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Precursor Games has called a halt to its slow-going crowdfunding campaign for Eternal Darkness spiritual successor Shadow of the Eternals, but promised to resume in good time.

Although the post announcing this news makes it sound like the Kickstarter and private crowdfunding platforms will resume, there’s a hint that Precursor may have some reason to rethink its plans, with mention of “new exciting opportunities”.

“Since we announced this Kickstarter campaign we have seen more support from our community than we had ever hoped for. Along with this support has come a host of a new exciting opportunities that will make the game better than we envisioned,” Precursor CEO John Caporicci said in a Kickstarter update.

“As a result, we have chosen to temporarily take down the Shadow of the Eternals crowdfunding campaigns on both Kickstarter and our own website on Thursday, June 6. This doesn’t mean we are going away – far from it. We’ll be re-launching the Kickstarter in just a few short weeks with a reveal of these exciting new developments.”

On the other hand, it’s worth remembering that neither campaign looked anywhere near likely to reach the lofty $1.35 million goal, having stymied at about 10% of that figure.

No money has been collected from those who pledged to the Kickstarter, and full refunds willbe issued to those who backed the project through Precursor’s website.

Precursor Games is a new developer staffed entirely by former members of Silicon Knights, which appears to be on its last legs. Former Silicon Knights CEO Denis Dyack serves as a creative director, with Caporicci suggesting that Dyack is much happier in a non-business role. The new studio’s relationship to Silicon Knights has raised eyebrows, particularly over its acquisition of the older team’s assets,

If Precursor has stumbled across some external funding, it probably came as something of a relief; Caporicci had admitted that if the crowdfunding campaign failed it had no other options.

If successful, the adventure is expected to launch as an episodic series on PC and Wii U.

Thanks, Edge.

1. fearmonkey

So not surprised……

The game sounds interesting but having Dyack (whether he is the bad guy everyone loves to hate or not) seemed to poison the well.

A sequel or re-imagining of a cult game that people seem to love, but barely anyone played, was going to have a tough time reaching that lofty goal of 1.35 million.

With all the negative press regarding Dyack and Silicon Knights, Even people who loved the original might hold back from donating.

Hopefully, they can find a way to get it released and redeem Dyack’s name.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Sini

betting m$ is throwing money left and right trying to lock up anything exclusive they can after that conference flop.

#2 1 year ago
  3. salarta

Shame it’s temporarily canceled, but hopefully it actually does get made. It looks like another very promising game, and if it turns out as great as it looks, it’ll be a nice bit of good stuff in a time when people consider bad games to be masterpieces.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SlayerGT

Dyack is gonna be on Weekend Confirmed this week.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

Microsoft is not going to throw money at Dyack. That lesson was learned with Too Human.

#5 1 year ago
  6. salarta

@5: Except they wouldn’t be throwing money at Dyack. They would be throwing it at Precursor Games, and Dyack has nothing to do with the business side.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Phoenixblight

HE is the COO, so yes he does have control on the business side and since Dyack is involved MS is not going to throw money anywhere near Dyack. Not to mention Precursor is a bunch of vets from SIlicon Knights which again, Too Human.

#7 1 year ago
  8. salarta

@7: That’s like Sony having a problem with Wada following Sony funding a Squeenix project, Wada going from president to video game director, then claiming Sony wouldn’t back the project Wada is directing just because of the problem that occurred with Wada when he was president.

One person being bad or doing something bad in one role does not mean they will do bad things in all roles, even if there is some small level of similar power to the role they were bad in.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Phoenixblight

MS was promised a trilogy of games that would sell a lot what they got was one game that sold horribly. Its a business and MS looks at what the company has produced over the last games. Oh look absolutely nothing but crazy ass lawsuits and games that all under performed.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

Really, Dyack is poison. Unless they come up with the funding themselves, no company is going to give him money after the Too Human fiasco. He’s pretty much done in this industry unless he finds a way to self-finance.

Microsoft, especially, will never give him another cent, considering all the money he cost them. Has there ever been a title that has had to be completely pulled before, because of a lawsuit like that one?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

@9 – Didn’t just underperform. They can’t even sell it anymore, right? Because of the Epic lawsuit?

#11 1 year ago
  12. salarta

@9: “Oh look absolutely nothing but crazy ass lawsuits and games that all under performed” … is what Silicon Knights did. Precursor Games is not Silicon Knights, even if Precursor Games has many people and assets from Silicon Knights. Or is Mistwalker the same company as Squeenix, and is Platinum Games the same company as Capcom (or if that seems too broad, then the same thing as Clover Studios)?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

You can dice it all you like but the same people are involved in both games. No person is going to get involved with the company no matter how much “potential” the game has. It is going for survival horror (niche), episodic content (niche). THen tie in all the people involved and top it off with Dyack.

No company especially that of MS is going to get involved.

Yes because source code(including the flipping comments, who in the fuck copies comments) from Unreal was found in those games.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@12 Mistwalker and Platinum aren’t made up of dishonest, abusive management with countless reports of deceit, fraud and lies aimed in their direction, alongside a string of low quality titles released one after the other.

#14 1 year ago
  15. salarta

@13: I guess we will simply have to say we disagree here, then. I’ve said my perspective, you’ve said yours. :)

Though survival horror is only “niche” because companies haven’t been trying to make anything actually big and meaningful in that genre. The only nomination this generation for the category of survival horror was Alan Wake, and that doesn’t count because it was undermined by exclusivity to XBox Live. The rhythm game genre was niche before Guitar Hero (and is again due to oversaturation), RPGs were niche until FF7 (and is again due to newfound obsession with other genres), and MMOs were fairly niche until World of Warcraft.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Phoenixblight

Doesn’t matter what you believe but this game was not going to put survival horror back on the map. This game will never get made. Suck it up and deal. with it. You can blame Dyack for being a scumbag. Who in the hell copies and pastes code knowing that is illegal and takes the comments with it? You can’t justify that!

#16 1 year ago
  17. Clupula

@15 – The best survival horror game this gen was actually Siren: Blood Curse.

#17 1 year ago
  18. salarta

@16: Milgram experiment? :D You’re being strangely hostile.

But yeah, people do stupid things and make stupid mistakes, so until I actually have insight into what the people that did it were thinking and feeling, I’m not going to mentally crucify them. I can do that to Motomu Toriyama because I’ve keep a very close eye on the activities of him and Squeenix over the past decade and have read several interviews he did alongside exposure to the games he’s made that give me understanding into how he thinks. I don’t have that for everyone that worked at Silicon Knights.

@17: I’m not sure whether or not that’s true, I haven’t played it, but I wasn’t saying Alan Wake was necessarily the best survival horror game this generation. I was only saying that it was both the biggest and most meaningful attempt.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

But yeah, Salarta doesn’t seem to understand the difference between Dyack and pretty much EVERYONE else in the entire industry. Even Tameem from Ninja Theory, as much bad publicity as he’s gotten, as many flops as Ninja Theory have produced, he’s never done anything underhanded, like Dyack did. Dyack gets the bad rep he has because he’s done things that went beyond developers ethics. As I said, he’s poison, at this point, and even this project, there were a ton of shady things in it.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gheritt White

Alan is Wake is survival horror? You do come out with some bollocks sometimes, Salarta.

#20 1 year ago
  21. salarta

@19: It’s more that I’m aware Dyack has already been thoroughly punished for his transgressions and I’m willing to give a project with him involved a chance as it looks very promising.

This whole thing makes me think of the way ex-cons are treated, where their history makes it nigh impossible to find a job, let alone a livable one. That doesn’t mean Dyack is trying to change his ways, for all I know he’s just as bad or worse. But the project looks promising, the main guilty party of past transgressions has been punished, ergo I will be open-minded. Now if he turns around and screws up again, THEN I’ll hop on the hate wagon.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

@18 – And I have to say I’m glad that Toriyama lives in Japan and not whatever country you live in, because your obsession with him is really unhealthy and kinda creepy. You don’t understand him. You don’t know him. You’re just sounding like an obsessed fan right now and it’s the type of thing that restraining orders are normally made of.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Gheritt White

Having actually played it, IMHO Alan Wake was far more of an action game in so many ways than a survival horror. Just saying. If anything, it was a thriller, not a horror game. But, y’know, just my opinion based on first-hand experience.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Clupula

@21 – So, let me get this straight. You know Dyack is possibly still a scumbag. Now, a scumbag who previously wasted other people’s money is now asking for the general public to pay for his next project, with even bigger question marks over it than he had before, and you think that he shouldn’t be judged until after he’s screwed over the public? Wow.

There’s a reason you only have to be a registered sex offender once before they don’t allow you to teach preschool anymore. They don’t have a three-strikes rule there. There’s a reason for that. Same deal with Dyack.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

@21 Fool me once, shame on you…

Even I was vaguely interested in giving this a slight chance, but the fact that the campaigns are suddenly disappearing into the blue with absolutely no explanation is all the proof I personally need that these guys have nothing to go on and nothing to work with.

#25 1 year ago
  26. salarta

@22: Hmm, so reading a writer’s book that’s all about religion and surmising that they care about religion amounts to being an obsessed fan?

This is one of many reasons I don’t have much faith in the future of video games at present. A person actually caring about the IPs they like enough to pay attention to what happens to them, and actually reading interviews and remembering the content of them, is somehow deemed comparable to being some creepy stalker that spends every second of every day thinking about the person.

That and smearing a person is considered more important than dealing with the points they make.

I think I’m done dealing with this kind of behavior from people.

@23: It’s a horror game, the goal is survival and survival isn’t always easy (as in, most of the time you can’t just mow down all the enemies with ease), so I consider it survival horror. However, I can perfectly understand why you would consider it to be more of an action horror game.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Clupula

@23 – You should know first hand experience doesn’t mean anything to Salarta when knee-jerk reaction can be the alternative.

#27 1 year ago
  28. DSB

Really, if Denis Dyack was supposed to be “just a cog in the machine” at Precursor Games, then maybe they shouldn’t have featured his stupid face in every video they did.

It’s game over. They poisoned the well.

@23 Alan Wake was obviously supposed to be psychological horror, but it was also quite a mess that didn’t seem to know where it wanted to go.

I agree though, how it actually turned out was more of a “ethereal lumberjack slaughter sim”.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Phoenixblight

Dyack was a software developer, he stole code from a competitor to then use on his own games in order to make a profit. In the software development world you get blacklisted for that. You don’t pass go, you don’t collect 200$.

If you feel that what the project is promising then you go get 1.5 million and fund it and prove us all wrong. He won’t be getting it from the public.

Ha! Alan Wake is a survival horror, my ass. The game gave you endless amount of ammo and batteries especially so in “boss fights”. Where was the survival? Oh in between getting ammo or batteries to fend of the shadow lumberjacks.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Ireland Michael

@29 Not to mention claims of abusive attitudes towards his staff and a practically totalitarian to development. He was apparently an extremely unpleasant individual to work under.

I enjoyed Legacy of Kain, Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes immensely – some of my favourite games of those generations – but something clearly went seriously wrong at that company along the way, and Dyack was the man responsible.

#30 1 year ago
  31. salarta

@29: As soon as I win the lottery, I’ll do exactly that. :D Unfortunately, I am a mere mortal at present.

Quite a few points in Alan Wake did not give you “endless ammo and batteries,” and the several points where you have to run from lamppost to lamppost certainly involved a survival element. The only part I can think of in the game that really fits as action horror in my mind is the rock concert bit.

But, again, your mileage may vary. And Alan Wake turning out to be action horror and not survival horror actually helps the point I was trying to make. My original statement was that survival horror hasn’t been given a real chance, so it’s not really fair to say it’s too niche to be successful. Alan Wake being considered action horror instead of survival horror means there was one fewer game that even tried at the genre.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Gheritt White

I think you had to run from lamp post to lamp post twice in the entire game. And yeah, they kit you out plenty for the boss fights.

#32 1 year ago
  33. salarta

@32: I swear I remember more than two times. I played the DLC, by the way. It’s also possible that it just seems like more times than it really was in retrospect.

Yeah, I do remember boss fights giving you a lot, but there were a lot of points in the game that weren’t boss fights.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Gheritt White

For me, Survival Horror is Resi 2. Alan Wake’s far far less stop-starty than that, for one thing.

#34 1 year ago
  35. zinc

I’m not the only person who thinks Condemned & Deadspace were good survival horror right?

I had to play with the lights on & everything !

#35 1 year ago
  36. NeoSquall

@35 if by “survival horror” you mean “surviving repeatedly from having a stroke caused by cheap scares and graphically hideous scenes, because you’re more susceptible to them than others”, yes they are, and I’m with you in playing them with lights on and a functioning tv on the background.

#36 1 year ago
  37. zinc

^ Spot on :)

#37 1 year ago
  38. backup

c grade game for PC pirates

#38 1 year ago