EVE Online: 96% of players are male, CCP fine with that

Tuesday, 4th June 2013 09:13 GMT By Dave Cook

EVE Online developer CCP Games has confirmed that 96% of its player base is male, and that the studio feels it’s because the sci-fi genre is typically a man’s domain.

Speaking with Massively, CCP’s David Reid confirmed the stat, while EVE Online’s senior producer Andie Nordgren suggested that the male dominance is natural. “Part of it is due to the theme of the game,” she suggested. “Science fiction is an extremely male-dominated domain.

“It’s not a goal for us as a development team to specifically increase the number of female players” she said, and added that it’s more, “an indicator than something [to] strive for.”

Do you know any females who play EVE Online? Should CCP look at balancing the playerbase? Let us know what you think below.

1. Almazy

“Not quite sure everyone would agree with you there guys.”
    In terms of gaming, that sounds extremely accurate. It’s a video game + it’s a sci-fi hardcore game? He didn’t say it’s strictly for males, but typically, which is the truth.

“Should CCP look at balancing the playerbase?”
    Wouldn’t make sense for them to do that. Should developers who make 2d browser dress-up social games look at balancing their playerbase so that people like me who hates those kinds of games would play it?

This is like trying to make dark souls as easy as possible so it pleases non-hardcore gamers to “balance” the playerbase.
    A company shouldn’t resort to gambling when they already have plenty of supporters, they should not take attention away from their current playerbase to focus on people who already didn’t like the original.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Wertisdk

Absolutely not.
    They should create a game that is however they like, and if they have success with that – then they are obviously making something that caters to enough people.

Is it just me or is this article slightly biased against CCP’s decisions?
    Or am I reading too much into this due to David Cook’s previous “females in the games industry” debates?

#2 11 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 What debates? I have no idea what you mean.

Also, I’ve softened the article to remove any hints of bias, this wasn’t intentional I assure you.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Wertisdk

@3 Well I’ve crossed words with you once or twice in some of the comment sections of articles about femals in the gaming or tech industry.
    There’s also a couple of articles I haven’t commented on where you raise the question about equality where I didn’t comment, if I recall correctly.
    I can find the articles I am refering to, if you’d like that?

#4 11 months ago
  5. viralshag

I don’t see why any game should try and attract the attention of a particular sex. If the game was played 100% by males or 100% by females and people enjoyed it, I don’t think there would be anything wrong with that.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@4 no, that would be quite pedantic, so let’s not do that. It’s not something I feel has to apply to all games either, so as I said, I’ve softened the language of the piece.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Wertisdk

@6 Well the article is unbiased now from my point of view.
    Sorry if I came across as negative, I was just wondering if I had read too much into it :)

#7 11 months ago
  8. Llewelyn_MT

Is sex parity some kind of Holy Grail of gaming? More females play The Sims while more males play military shooters. What’s wrong with different people enjoying different games? What’s next, age parity?

#8 11 months ago
  9. Dave Cook

@7 that’s OK, I sometimes do things like this without realising it, so I do appreciate you flagging it. It’s never intentional I assure you :)

#9 11 months ago
  10. nimrod123

this reminds me of fred wester (owner of paradox inter) at game hirozion, where he mentioned marketing wanting them to get more female players in HOI3, his response was that anything that got more female players could drive away more male that would otherwise buy it

thats the summary basicly

and what i took from it is that if your niche (and eve certianly is) exploit the living hell out of people desprate for that niche, don’t piss off the crazy’s that baicly want a second job, as anyone you will get in replacement arn’t that keen

#10 11 months ago
  11. silkvg247

The fact I’m female has nothing to do with why Even doesn’t interest me. My brief, week long experience of Eve left me feeling like I’d played a pretty, sci-fi version of progress quest.

Which is fine, I guess navigating menus and then waiting a set time for anything to change is sort of fun, but there’s about 90 gazillion other games which are more worthy of my time.

Sci-fi is loved as a genre by many females including myself – so I highly doubt that’s what puts them off Eve.

#11 11 months ago
  12. viralshag

@11, Oh you EvE noob… You’re supposed to play EvE while playing anything else! ;)

#12 11 months ago
  13. silkvg247

@12 You jest and yet the Eve lads that come along to the multiplay LAN, do just that. Alt tab in, set some crap off, alt tab out and play another game for the majority of the time.

#13 11 months ago
  14. viralshag

@13, Haha I wasn’t joking at all. It’s exactly what I do. :)

I usually have EvE (sometimes two running with my alt account) running while I play TOR or something like that. Mining isn’t exactly the fun part of EvE but often neccessary, luckily you don’t need to pay full attention unless you’re in a dangerous area.

#14 11 months ago
  15. silkvg247

@14 In that regard Eve is really just a “minigame”; not to suggest it’s small or simple, but that it’s something you play between tasks.

If I’m playing an mmo that doesn’t need my full attention I’d sooner have anime or film on the second monitor than Eve.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Dragon246

@11,
    “What’s more likely to be the big off-putter is the feeling of detachment, that you’re always in a ship and never out in person interacting with other people. And women are probably more social than men (in general.. nb I’m not!).”
    Really?
    However I agree with women being more chatty, errr.. social than men :P

#16 11 months ago
  17. viralshag

@15, For the most part that’s quite accurate depending on what you’re doing. There is a lot more to EvE than people initially see but you need to give it some time to find it.

Almost everything “fun” is fuelled by money in EvE and sadly there isn’t many fun ways to make money outside of doing missions. Mining is the easy go-to option but moving your ship, making a few clicks and then waiting for things to finish isn’t exactly exhilarating.

If you ever want to get back into it I’ll happily fund you some cash and a couple of ships. That’s how I really started to get into it, after a friend gave me what I considered “a lot” but was really pocket change to him. Once you have money, like real life I guess, a lot of the other stuff becomes easy.

Although I’m sure you have had the offer before if you know people that already play! :)

#17 11 months ago
  18. backup

PC gaming is dead it’s only about facebook and mmo

#18 11 months ago
  19. silkvg247

@17 I really appreciate the offer but I’ll have to decline for the same reason that I don’t play the sims.. both feel like hopelessly addictive time sinks where I’m playing and playing without really knowing why; ultimately they don’t give me any fulfillment.

Currently hooked on SOTS, the pit. It’s a fun little roguelike.

#19 11 months ago
  20. viralshag

@19, You say that now but just wait until you own your second really really expensive mining ship after the first really really mining ship that took three weeks to pay for got blown up by some guy that purely wanted to steal the cargo… when there wasn’t any!!!

So yeah, you have no idea what you’re missing out on…

What have I done with my life. o.O

#20 11 months ago
  21. TheWulf

An Iain M. Banks reading lady friend of mine would disagree and call you a misogynistic fuck.

The reason Eve hasn’t attracted much of a broad fanbase (male or female) is because it’s soporifically boring. It’s like playing a spreadsheet. The lore is the kind of thing that would put Richard Stallman — King of the Neckbeards — into a coma. It’s not really hard sci-fi per se (that would be more along the lines of Accelerando), but it’s just DULL sci-fi.

You have to be creatively bankrupt to enjoy it, I suppose, because otherwise you’d end up craving something with at least a TINY bit of story. Colourless, bland, undetailed, bleak, black sandboxes don’t appeal to everyone.

If the statistics show anything, it just proves that some guys are creatively bankrupt, have a spreadsheet fetish, and love griefing a little too much.

#21 11 months ago
  22. TheWulf

I don’t think that anything you could find would show you in a good light, especially since you just referred to women as “femals” there. Referring to women as “females” in an objectifying way is bad enough, the typo just rubs salt into the wound.

This is a wonderful reminder of why I don’t like EvE players.

#22 11 months ago
  23. TheWulf

You assume that to be the case. Again, I know women who’d disagree with you. Your misogyny is showing, because you’re pushing negative stereotypes as facts.

How do you know what they like? Have you asked? When was the last time you talked to any women, in particular? (Parents notwithstanding.)

#23 11 months ago
  24. TheWulf

Yeeeah. ProgressQuest is a fine way to describe it, it really is. Like I said above, I think you have to be creatively bankrupt to enjoy it.

But wheee… this has been a fun exercise in reminding me of why I really hate EvE players. I clicked the link out of curiosity, but man… it’s like stumbling into a secret support group meeting of insecure woman-fearin’ types.

#24 11 months ago
  25. Christopher Jack

Jeez this hypersensitive culture annoys me.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Vice

No.. It’s because this game is damn hard. Women lack the needed brain power.

#26 11 months ago