GRID 2 cockpit view enabled by modders, gameplay video inside

Monday, 3rd June 2013 10:18 GMT By Dave Cook

GRID 2 PC modders have started developing several cockpit view mods for Codemasters racing game, after the studio decided to take the feature out. The team said that only 5% of GRID players used the view, so they removed it in the sequel.

You can see examples of work-in-progress GRID 2 mods over on the Race Department forum

Here’s some footage of a cockpit mod crafted by developer siroja00:.

User HoiHman then added to the mod to make the interiors sharper, and it now looks like this:

You can check out the thread for more GRID 2 cockpit view mods, but seeing as so many people are taking tie to make their own cockpit views, should Codemasters have removed it in the first place? Discuss below.

Thanks Denis.

1. spazman

modders, loving it.

2. GameStunts

I think it was a bad decision. I personally like to race from cockpit view in games, and that was the reason I didn’t buy Grid 2. I can only vote with my wallet.

It seems such a backward step to take, I was playing games in the 90s that had a cockpit view. I’m not sure where they got that 5% from, I’m not in a position to dispute it, but it seems like such a bean counter’s move.

I knew modders would take on the job, but what’s the real shame here is that the people that will benefit from that financially are the same people who didn’t spend money putting the “feature” (can’t believe we’re calling it that) in. People will buy Grid 2 knowing that it can be modded.

I’m just disappointed. I liked GRID and was regularly playing the multiplayer when they took it offline, another reason I’m not so quick to give them full price for this game.

3. Fin

They would’ve got the 5% from metrics.

The MP was removed due to licensing with Demonware expiring. Nothing to do with Codemasters.

4. Kieran

i think c.m are lying it has to be more than 5% of people that use cockpit view i know the number wont be high but surely far higher than 5% seems lazy in my point of view

5. ps3fanboy

Car games have had cockpit view feature since the 80′s when it was possible to do it in a game. But in 2013 they remove features from games than adding them, who would have thought that. The idiocy in that choice is so big it is incredible. Taking out a feature that take the programmers 10min to put in there… then say only 5% use it so we will not have it as an excuse. Modders come to the rescue and put it back into the game with an ease, and say look here we did it. This shows one thing Codemaster don’t care, it is more important to get the game outta the door than doing it properly. I also bet there is ‘buy this dlc’ all over the menus in this game, as it was with the ‘dirt3′. For that reason alone i will not buy this game, i will just get the piratebay version with the cockpit option for free. SUCK ON THAT CODIES!

6. sh4dow

I wish there was somebody putting things not quite like ps3fanboy that I could agree with but aside from his finale, I unfortunately think he is spot on.
    I even agree with his stance that one should not spend money on such games but… again… one could and should put that differently.

7. ps3fanboy

@6 i don’t think we as customer should take things lightly when codies try to screw us over… when codies milk their game with dlc and try double dip. the customers have only one choice, to get what they have payed for, piracy.

8. SplatteredHouse

“Taking out a feature that take the programmers 10min to put in there…”
    The time to add it is not the point, but more likely the extra strain on RAM (already at a premium on current consoles, moreso on PS3) to have the feature always present, alongside all the other game assets. THEY claimed that taking out cockpit enabled other features to be included, instead. Such as?

Hats off to the passionate modders, though. This “5%” figure pulled out of thin air by Codemasters…maybe it will be seen to be inaccurate, simply by the extent of modified copies of the game being run to get the cockpit camera functionality! xD

9. ps3fanboy

@8 with all the breath talking games that have been released on the ps3, that we thought couldn’t be done. this taken out feature comes down to one thing codemasters half-assed coding, and not the ps3 ram.

10. backup

saw the video its looking good
    camera view should have been better imo it’s low

11. DSB

It’s kinda sad to see how awesome it could’ve been. I never thought I’d pass on a TOCA game, but viewing it from the outside just makes it feel like you’re racing an RC car with cameras slapped onto it.

@3 “Metrics” which, on closer scrutiny, turned out to be focus groups and polls.

Even if they did have solid data, making a game isn’t exactly a zero sum effort. Designing one based on “data” makes no sense. Maybe only 5% tinker with their graphics settings in any detail, or use a manual transmission, but they’re still valid features.

@8 I strongly doubt it. It’s not like GRiD 2 is miles and miles ahead of any other racer out there.

If it truly is anything technical, then it’s their ancient EGO engine running on its last legs.

12. Cobra951

They took the cockpit view out?! Good thing I read that before I spent money on this game. Not going to happen now.

13. JackThomas

Still won’t buy it as Codemasters didn’t include it themselves.