Next-gen systems as entertainment devices is “a perilous idea,” – Spector

Saturday, 1st June 2013 20:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Warren Spector feels the idea of next-gen systems being entertainment devices rather than gaming consoles is “a perilous idea.”

Speaking with Gamespot, Spector said he already has “more ways than I can deal with” in regard to accessing programming or the Internet.

“I think next gen consoles as entertainment devices rather than game machines is a perilous idea,” he said. “I mean, I already have more ways than I can deal with to access the programming I want and the Internet and all its pleasures. And if I want to multitask while watching television, I already have to decide which of my devices to do it on.

“I kind of get a next-gen game machine, but competing for the home entertainment business? We’ll see how that goes.”

Spector said he is also wary of more games being released digitally, as you can’t own a set of “0s and 1s.”

“I’m a huge fan of e-books, but the more I buy and download, the more I worry that someone could just take them all away from me,” he said. I worry a lot about not owning things I’ve paid for. I suppose if the cost came down–way down!–I might worry about it less. But it’s a huge concern.

“Having said that, I think that boat has sailed. We live in a world of virtual goods where none of us own the 0s and 1s. What are you going to do?”

Spector is also encouraged by the “broad acceptance” of games in the current climate, and pleased that “nearly everyone is a gamer” out there, thanks to consoles, mobile, and tablet devices. However, he said the industry needs to take advantage of this, and not “remain mired exclusively in the world of teenage male power fantasies.”

He also believes Nintendo “a company dedicated to games,” and one who underestimates them do so at their peril.

It’s a really interesting interview, and you should head on through the link and give it a read.

1. SlayerGT

Ecosystem and price are the only thing people will care about.

#1 11 months ago
  2. No_PUDding

I love this guy. But no one can predict the future and I have particular lack of faith in his understanding of the market, even if I love his old games.

#2 11 months ago
  3. SlayerGT

@2 My feels too.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Erthazus

He is amazing and speaks a lot of truth.

I wish he could return to design such games as System Shock or Deus Ex. He is awesome.

#4 11 months ago
  5. ps3fanboy

Spector knows what he talks about and speak the truth. to this day i don’t own one digital downloaded game, its all discs here… when everything is digital and no disc to buy. i will just quit buying anything of new. the ps4 is the last gen of consoles that is gonna have disc based games.. after that its the end.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Stardog

I think this gen will be won on price and who has the best games. Nothing to do with TV or extra facilities.

If you’re into Uncharted/Heavy Rain/Little Big Planet/GT you’ll need a PS4.

If you’re into Halo/Forza/etc you’ll need a One.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Maabren

Agree, I want a console just for games, and let me choose what I want of all that extra shit. Even if they sell games digitally, most games do get out as a disk.

#7 11 months ago
  8. salarta

He touched on basically everything I’ve been thinking about the XBox One and about the industry as a whole. There are some things, like not owning something if all you do is buy a digital version, that I agree with but that I think the majority of consumers aren’t really thinking about or simply don’t care about.

But there are others, like already owning separate devices for entertainment that XBox One is trying to get people to buy into from a single new and expensive device, that I think most people will agree on. There’s really no reason for someone to get an XBox One for most functions when they can continue to watch a show or film undisturbed while looking up information on their phones. And the phone aspect allows for privacy and individual control, too. In the theoretical football and other sports uses, one person can check their fantasy football scores while another person looks up stats on a specific player, on their phones, at the same time.

The basic concept of enhancing TV use is a decent one, but at present all the functions Microsoft has put forth are covered by other devices or are simply useless, with a lot of extra hassle and concerns such as privacy besides.

#8 11 months ago
  9. brotherhoodofthewolf

guy needs to stop sounding off so much, and get on with making games.

#9 11 months ago