Xbox One team discusses “holistic” design approach

Thursday, 30th May 2013 16:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has released a blog post discussing how Xbox One, development of which started in 2010, was designed with a “holistic” approach in mind.

According to the post and its accompanying video, the console was designed to look good and be a functional all-in-one living room product. The firm also chose the “blackest black” possible for the color so it would blend well into the room yet allow the colorful buttons on the controller to stand out more.

“We wanted to think from a holistic perspective,” said creative director, design Ramiro Torres. “When designing anything on Xbox, you have to consider everything from the way the hardware and user interface looks, to the way the box and branding is expressed. Everything has a role in the way you experience a brand.”

“Many people may not notice some of the small design touches,” said designer Carl Ledbetter, an 18-year veteran of Microsoft who led industrial design on Xbox 360 S and Kinect.

“But we take pride in our craftsmanship in making sure everything is perfect. We want to create something that is exciting and will please our customers, both old and new. Nailing every last detail is critical.

“Having the design and engineering teams working closely together was paramount to the design process. It makes it faster and more efficient, and allowed us to rapidly prototype new samples for testing. Constant iteration was instrumental.”

Read the full post through the link and look at the video below.

1. manamana

Let me guess, by not considering the golden ratio or rule of thirds?

#1 1 year ago
  2. ps3fanboy

The approached was like “How can we squeeze more money out of our customers, let’s put more DRM into it, that will do it”… and.. “Let’s add a spy-cam so we can spy on them and sell the information to advertising.”… the dumb xbots bites YET again, never learn.

#2 1 year ago
  3. manamana

^ your such an ugly fanboy. No golden ratio for you too!

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

@3 i see you ready your self for the position “face down ass up” that micro$haft likes so much.

#4 1 year ago
  5. manamana

You don’t see nothing because your head is burried in the sand.
    Of mars.

#5 1 year ago
  6. machy

i’m a ps1,2 and 3 owner but thxx to @ps3fanboy i start to hate myself for being a Ps-fan …… dude chill it’s not like sony will pay for what u r doing

#6 1 year ago
  7. Djoenz

Theme colours were always white and green..now its black and green or even black and white. Keyword is simple and yesh the nextbox looks like a simple dvd player or blurayplayer.

Nice video though.

#7 1 year ago
  8. redwood

typo ! they actually meant “alcha-holistic” design approach!.. this betamax player looking xbox gets a 1 out of 10 in product design.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Djoenz

@redwood

You know I still own a Sony VHS player, used it a lot and it still works lol. Its like 15 years old. Ive got my cable run through the VHS player. It serves as a splitter.

Watching mad max,disney movies lethal weapon aah the memories. This design is nostalgic though you cant deny tht.

Oh free willy!Jurassic Park!

#9 1 year ago
  10. manamana

Lol, I have Jurassic Park on Laser Disc!

#10 1 year ago
  11. Djoenz

I had to google and find out what an actual Laser Disc is man. Im probably too young (25) but damn I never knew those existed those are huge!

#11 1 year ago
  12. lexph3re

Yup…. All I got from that was. We designed a box

#12 1 year ago
  13. manamana

:-D yes and heavy. And I needed to flip them manually as they are doublelayers and my player didn’t support playing both sides (I guess the better versions had two lasers, like, above and under the disc). Funny thing is when you have two Discs, which meant to go two times to the player: first time to turn the disc over, second time to swap that sucker. Sometimes even a third time to turn the second disc over, as for longer movies. I still have a bunch of them. That format was really seldom in Europe but was more common in USA and Japan, I guess. Nowadays they are nearly worthless …

#13 1 year ago
  14. laughing-gravy

Holistic? More like PR bullshit! What’s next, “we used yoga!”

#14 1 year ago
  15. fearmonkey

And the comments are still disabled on the videos…………..

The actual design of the unit puzzles me, it actually looks good to me, but I thought MS was wanting to get away from the Large box the original was, and this looks the same or bigger. The Controller looks really good and I admit this is the most exciting part of the new console, I like the idea of the trigger rumble feature.

I don’t get the new Kinect either…It looks freaking huge compared to the original and it seems like it has less in it….

The DRM the way we currently believe it will happen is unacceptable and I may or may not even get a new console, depending on what MS or Sony do. I really want an Xbox, but MS needs to listen to its consumers. IF MS and Sony listen to their fans, it seems that both consoles would have something different to offer, and more gamers might end up having both boxes this time around. It just depends on MS and Sony….

#15 1 year ago
  16. Irani

Sony is bullshit …. Viva MS …. Viva XO …. Viva USA

#16 1 year ago
  17. Djoenz

VIVA LA MEXICO where your unreliable internet could make your XO obsolete.

#17 1 year ago
  18. MidlifeAxe

‘Xbox One team discusses VCR design approach’

FTFY