Xbox One: Quantum Break will ‘push boundaries’ of how we view games and live-action

Thursday, 30th May 2013 11:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One title Quantum Break has been discussed by Microsoft’s Phil Spencer, who feels Remedy’s shooter will push boundaries in how we perceive games and live-action content. The game will run alongside a TV show, similarly to Defiance.

Speaking with Polygon, Spencer said that together, Microsoft and Remedy are, “trying to push the boundaries of how people think of live action and gaming today.

He added, “The unique capability of Remedy, I think is around storytelling, and television’s always been a great place to tell strong stories. We’ve got this interactive component … where actions in one and viewing in one, impact what people are doing in the other. That’s our creative idea.”

“The team has enough momentum in that space, I thought, so it was a great opportunity to put them on stage and show something. We’ll talk more as the game evolves.”

We just posted the game’s pack-art here. Check it out.

Thanks OXM.

1. Lengendaryboss

“The game will run alongside a TV show” They just can’t leave TV entertainment out can they?

2. SameeR_Fisher

^^ Indeed, this is starting feel less and less exciting.

The game was kinda interesting, but I am not sure about the whole live action thing.

3. Djoenz

I watch defiance, but dont play the game. I dont see the point of this tbh. Oh my actions in this game could influence the show.

That would be cool with The Walking Dead maybe or not. . how can they implement peoples actions in the show. its all scripted anyway.

4. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

I put a gibbon turd in a sandwich once. It ‘pushed boundaries’ in how we define sandwiches.

5. Lengendaryboss

Ha :D

6. Logion

It’s like a return to the old FMV games. We will see real actors performing bad dialogues and stunts in front of the camera in our games. I don’t know if I should be happy or sad.

7. rbevanx

I bet Night Trap will still be the best :)

8. Moonwalker1982

Alongside the game? Does that mean like the short series on Xbox Live from Alan Wake or really IN the game itself?

9. foofly

I’ve been watching Defiance, not a bad show. I did play the game on Steam’s free weekend and thought it was ok. Mass Effect shooting gameplay without the cover mechanic.

10. Moonwalker1982

So it’s like Defiance in that regard? Doesn’t that mean it will be just a seperate show and that the game will have it’s own in-engine cutscenes? I’m trying to paint a picture here.

It doesn’t sound like that to me at all. Alongside a tv show, sounds to me like the game won’t have of that.

I did a wiki for Defiance and it’s a seperate tv show and game.

11. MidlifeAxe

Soon, they’ll just put the TV show on some TV screens in-game so you can watch and play simultaneously.

Shit, did I give them a bad idea?

12. Malmer

It’s remedy. I have high hopes for this.

13. Rikki

Well since it’s Remedy I’ll give this a pass. They have basically already made TV shows before; Address Unknown and Night Springs, So this could be good.

14. RandomTiger

I’m getting really tired of the word ‘television’.

15. allftw

I wonder at what point Microsoft will stop and go “Oh wait! We’re doing something wrong.” Can’t be too far away now.

16. reask

Seems to me they are trying out new things for next gen.
    Isn,t that what we all want?

17. Malmer

@15 And making new and innovative things is wrong now? The game might be crap, but judge it once you know more about it and actually seen it in action. Considering it is remedy I think they will make something special. Not every game has to be a shooter.

I am looking forward to this and whatever david Cage has cooking for the PS4 a lot.

18. viralshag

@16, No of course not. REAL GAMERS only want games and nothing else. Nothing new in any department, that’s the way real gamers like it. Whenever something new does come along, we just look back at old games and say how they were always better.

19. Francis O

Next-gen shit right here. Live action-TV-DRM-Used games fees- Forced Kinect- Shooting games- 8GB or RAM- 3 operating systems-Windows 8

- Next gen, next gen

20. viralshag

21. Lengendaryboss

You would have a hard time convincing him of that.

22. Moonwalker1982

Wow…some incredibly stupid prejudice bullshit in here from people. It’s crazy. How about…gee…i don’t know…giving it a chance? How about just waiting and see what this is all about? Boy am i going to love it when people will be eating crow like there’s no tomorrow when MS shows some very promising games at E3.

23. viralshag

@21, I know. He only comes here to troll because he wants to stay neutral on his own site. I’d give you a link to it but I honestly can’t even remember what it’s called.

@22, That’s impossible for the average “hardcore” gamer. That would mean having some patience. I mean, if they’re not constantly getting a stream of new video game content for the X1 then it’s obviously a day one PS4 purchase. Just think about all the game info that has been spilling forth since the initial PS4 reveal… OBVIOUSLY, a no brainer!

24. OlderGamer

You might have a hard time convincing me of that too. WiiU might just be the last console as we have come to know them. In todays world a Generation cycle means a lot less then it did 20 years ago. When most people talk about a generational cycle, they are still refering to graphical leaps forward. But intodays world we are moving, for the most part, past that.

The truth is a PS3 game looks good enough for most people. And most people won’t complain about a WiiU game. It is a world where more people buy and play on mobile devices then traditional living room consoles. And in the coming years those traditional living room consoles will change the way we consume games.

What they won’t dramaticly change is the graphics of said games. Slightly better, how is that for a generational leap? And that is what most core gamers have been basing their opinions off of. Graphics. And their expectations that this coming “Next gen” will be a major revolution graphicaly. We saw the WiiU and laughed, it wasn’t what we were expecting. It was like going from a NES to a TG16. Improved, but not much.

I don’t think you can hang your hat on next gen having mind blowing graphics. That isn’t the focus of the systems. The intent is to change the way you purchase and consume. And that covers the gamet of games and video and music entertainment. Throw in social media. Throw in sharing features. A heavy dose of services… what were we talking about again?

Oh yes, graphics. Ok sure they will be nice. Amazing? Mind blowing? I doubt it. Nothing we have seen is mind blowing.

And we get all of that wraped up in mega corperational fantasy dream paper. Full of pay walls, always on, DRM, used game fees, different level of viewing liscing fees, marketing info being gathered from mandatory cameras. etc.

Graphics aside, what most people seem to want is a console. Something like the WiiU. Ironic isn’t it?

25. manamana

@OG thats why I enjoy handheld gaming so much. Turn on and play. Nothing else matters.

26. Francis O

#20 really? I don’t know about that.

Graphics aren’t the reason why I game. I play for gameplay, graphics are just a bonus.

- Enjoy your DRM, no used games, $60 a year for online gameplay, forced kinect, and shooters.

I’ll be be playing Xenoblade 2, Shin Megami, Bayonetta 2, Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda ect. And the 3DS+PC

I’ll get a PS4 when Infamous Second Son and the PS4 get price cuts.

The X-Bone is a POS.

27. OlderGamer

@manamana

I can defently understand that. I really have been wanting to get a handheld. I am a bit torn as to which to buy. I think Vita is the better hardware, but I tend to think the 3DS has the better games line up. The real problem is my eyes, those handhelds can be tough to play for any length of time for me.

But I do like the simple straight forward, game focused feel of the handhelds. That is something it seems we will be giving up to move into the “next gen” of consoles.

28. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Most of what your saying about Xbone is either not finalised, never been mentioned, generalisations and judging just on the basis on Xbox360: who said 60? for all you know it could be free, paid for in various tiers and other alternatives, no-one cares about what Nintendo games your playing on your favourite Nintendo platforms.

29. OlderGamer

“no-one cares about what Nintendo games your playing on your favourite Nintendo platforms.”

But isn’t that also a fanboy slant? The Wii sold Millions. Several of the best selling games this gen were on the Wii. And the last Gameboy that didn’t just about print money was….VirtualBoy? What I mean to say is that first, second or third place…Nintendo games sell fantasticly well. And that would ofc indicate that someone does indeed care.

30. polygem

halo tv series, this…seriously, that´s exactly the direction i do not want to see games going to. not the kind of innovation i want to see, not at all, also not feeling the artdesign of this one. they get everything so damn wrong right now it´s painfull really. i will still try giving all this a chance but i can only judge by what i can see right now and everything only makes me roll eyes.

31. manamana

@OG tough decision. If you go for ninty you must go with the 3DSXL. I can also play all my old DS games on it and while the pixels are blurry (if upscaled), I find that its okay for a session. So if you have had a DS, its a nobrainer.

The Vita. I was an early adopter but Uncharted was a huge disappointment (imo) and WipeOut2048 was great but after a while the handheld was just laying around (confronted to my other handhelds) so I sold it for a good price.

Now though, would be the time reconsidering buying a Vita, since there are more interesting games on the way, plus the perspective to use it with the PS4. The rediculous prices for memory cards dropped also a bit. And the is a good chance to make a bargain getting one second hand. Wait for E3 where Sony will definetely show some Vita stuff in combination to the PS4 …

32. viralshag

@29, But what does it have to do with the Xbox One?

Selling well and popularity doesn’t seem to mean anything for CoD, I don’t see why it should for Ninty games.

33. polygem

nintendo are the keepers of faith

34. reask

I think in all fairness OG it,s the way some things are said by certain posters that get a reaction rather than fanboyism.

I dont have the wii or u and most likely wont be getting it but I wont go round knocking it for the most part.

The knives appear to be out for the 1 much like they were out for the 3 last gen.

I think the old xbot is coming back to me this time although if I,m been honest I will most likely get the 4 first and then the 1.

I suppose E3 will swing it for me in the end.

35. polygem

…and hope

36. viralshag

What’s wrong with transmedia productions all of a sudden? Like it’s something we have seen done so many times before and failed?

If Defiance the game wasn’t the weaker of the two then that would be a good example of why it’s not such a bad idea.

37. polygem

@viral: nothing wrong with it. i just don´t personally feel it. i just don´t watch tv. very rarely do. i play games, read, listen to music and go to the cinema from time to time or rent a movie.
    i cannot sense real ambition, no real passion for games here. to me it just smells like aiming for a larger and larger audience…i cannot see real innovation here, but hey, that´s just me.

38. Lengendaryboss

@OlderGamer
    “But isn’t that also a fanboy slant?” No its not no-one cares, no-one asked what he is playing in fact what relevance does it have here? He is just here to preach Nintendo’s good graces while dissing Xbone which to be fair nearly everyone is doing but hes doing it based on his view on Xbone when in actuality it is either “not finalised, never been mentioned, generalisations and judging just on the basis on Xbox360″

39. viralshag

@37, Based on what though? A new IP which is actually trying something that’s relatively new by broadening the IP beyond the game? I don’t see how that’s a bad thing.

40. YoungZer0

41. manamana

On topic: “… The game will run alongside a TV show …” Stopped reading there. There will be definitely people out there enjoying those kinds of media crossover. I’m not a part of it. But I’m keen on how MS are going to manage that worldwide …

42. Francis O

@Lengendaryboss

Microsoft said themselves there will be DRM ever 24 hours! MS also said their will be a fee for used games! MS will also charge for Xbox Live! There is a huge focus on TV. There is 8 GB of RAM and 3 operating systems.

Nothing I said was false. MS confirmed all of this. You can say it’s not finalized all you want, but when MS’ own employees are saying this….how can it not be taken as true?

And me discussing what games I’ll be playing was in response to this comment:

“@19, They both seem to have a lot more going for them than Nintendos “next gen” console…”

43. laughing-gravy

One question I have regarding this project, what is the production budget for a game & TV show side by side? It’s probably astronomical. Especially considering how much money is needed to produce a TV show on it’s own. What if it fails? Not even a company as wealthy as MSoft can afford to keep writing off large sums of money like that.

44. viralshag

@43, It depends who will be working on the TV show. Defiance the game I imagine is backed and funded by Trion and the show is mostly likely backed and funded by SyFy.

I don’t know for certain but it’s not impossible using Defiance as the example. I’m hoping that will get a second season as I’m really enjoying it. On the game front I stopped playing it a long time ago.

45. Samoan Spider

@44 It’s already been renewed for a second season :)

46. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    The fee has nothing do with gamers, retailers pay whatever price MS sets and they charge you whatever they want. I don’t recall MS saying they will charge for XBL on the One, please link it. You said XBone will have shooter games sure but your forgetting NFS, Sports games like FIFA 14, Forza 5, AC and much more those aren’t shooters just because we are overflooded with shooters doesn’t mean everything else disappears into the sunset. MS employees aren’t even sure themselves one minute its we pay a fee the next its retailers, thats how i think its not finalized thus not completely factual. I am very certain @19 meant in terms of a combination of first and third party support/games like Battlefield, GTA, NFS, FIFA, COD, Wolfenstein, Theif and a variety of other games which hasn’t been announced for Wii or Wii U. The point remains he never asked you what Nintendo games do you play, he said the other two have more support going for them.

47. laughing-gravy

@44 Hmm. Will just have to wait and see how this one pans out.