Xbox One: £599.99 place-holder price set at Amazon UK

Thursday, 30th May 2013 09:35 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One has been priced at a place-holder value of £599.99 at Amazon UK. The site is now accepting pre-orders, ahead of the official pricing reveal.

The retail listing went live this week, together with the hefty place-holder price-tag. Microsoft has yet to confirm the console’s RRP however, and if you order now you will be charged the lowest price once the official numbers have been confirmed.

Here’s Amazon’s official policy on the matter:

Amazon is currently running a similar scheme for PS4 pre-orders, which also has a place-holder £599.99 price tag.

Have you ordered either console? What do you think the final price for both consoles will be?

1. Patrick Garratt

Told you. PS4′ll be loads cheaper.

2. Bam007

Until confirmed, all prices are a placeholder. I fail to see how the “PS4′ll be loads cheaper” because of a placeholder.

3. Patrick Garratt

Oh. No it isn’t. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-4-PS4/dp/B00BE4HOIM/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369903091&sr=8-1&keywords=playstation+4

4. The_Red

I really don’t think that’s the price. Most places taking pre-orders are asking 599 for both PS4 and X1.

Of course in the off chance that PS4 really IS cheaper, then I believe MS will have an even harder time convincing core gamers (Who MS execs believe “buy everything”).

5. Patrick Garratt

@2 – I still reckon PS4′ll be cheaper because of the bundled Kinect with Xbox One.

6. Dave Cook

@All I’m building this piece as I go, see above for edits. Yeah, it’s place-holder.

7. Lengendaryboss

I know these prices are bluffs therefore i would never preorder one for that price well unless i won the lottery but i don’t have that luck although i am lucky in other areas :D The price i would prefer is 300/350 at best.

8. zinc

So… I hear the WiiU is about £250? That’s next -gen right?

9. The_Red

But PS4 is also bundled with that camera and it has to support 8Gb of GDDR5. I don’t know. Plus if MS really wants to target mainstream, TV watchers, they know the higher price means less sales for those consumers.

10. Gekidami

Well Pat, the PS4 does also come bundled with its camera, though i’m guessing Kinect is a more advanced piece of tech, so it’ll cost more expensive, like 100 on its own (adding 100 to the price of the console). Then again the 360 uses cheaper components, maybe the 8GB GDDR5 in the PS4 will push the price up, or the touch pad-pads, the XB1′s pads are pretty simple compared to that so i’d assume they’re cheaper to make.

I’d be surprised if theres a massive price difference between them.

11. ps3fanboy

OMG! it is the 599 dollars all over again…. HAHAHA! micro$haft are gonna fail so hard.. i am starting to look forward to e3 even more now :D

12. Lengendaryboss

Its supposes to be but its not.

13. Digital Bamboo

I wouldn’t pay that for an X1 & PS4 combined.

14. Patrick Garratt

Been chatting to a few people who reckon it’s going to be more like £299/£349. We’ll see, I guess.

15. DrDamn

@Pat
    Pachter reckons $349 for PS4 and $399 for XO. I reckon both are aiming for £300/$400 or there abouts.

I agree XO may be a little more expensive but nothing to do with cost to make. It’s about perception and the added value they think they are bringing. If the XO is cheaper or the same price as the PS4 then there could be a perceptual conclusion that as XO includes all this other stuff (Kinect, TV, Sport etc) then the actual machine is not as good. At launch they want to be seen as the best machine much more so than the cheapest. Especially if Joe Public sees it as having more functionality.

16. Belmont

That is a lot more like it.
    But I have a question,XOne will come with Kinect in every box. Is PS4 launching with Eye as part of every unit ? If Sony wants to pack Eye with every console,then I think the prices will end up being the same. Sony is bundling a headset already and those GDDR5 memories inside aren’t cheap apparently.

17. Tech-N9ne

And on a not so unrelated topic, XBox One 3D model :)

18. KineticCalvaria

Amazon got the price of games at £89.99, hope to god that’s a placeholder lol.

19. DrDamn

Controller actually looks a lot more comfortable when you see the back.

20. Tech-N9ne

@19 Indeed.

I wonder if the section next to the disc drive will have some sort of LCD display like, em… a VCR ;)

21. ps3fanboy

@15 yes raise the price of the xbone even higher, because we all know the more expensive the more better, lmao… and when they get the xbone and find out how much it sucks. the bigger the backlash are gonna be… its win win for sony :D

22. Fortysixter_UK

No decisions about Xbox One or PS4 are going to made as far as I’m concerned, until such time as the policy for game ownership and second hand games has been thoroughly and unequivocally determined , written in stone as it were.

No purchase of any system will be made if either company fall the wrong side of that decision.

When I buy something, I own it. I should be able to do with it as I see fit. If either company do not make the right decisions, I will be able to live without said hardware, as I have a vast back catalogue of wonderful games that still need my attention.

23. mistermogul

@22 – Agreed.

24. Djoenz

Couldnt agree more man. We should all be like you. Common sense brother!

25. polygem

@11: well, i just preorderd the ps4 for the same price(holder). good thing about that is that it´s clear that the final price will be lower than 599.
    i haven´t decided yet but i will get one of them at launch and right now i am on the sony train.

26. Iliad

Meh, pre-ordered both – unless either has a fuck show at E3 I’ll get both.

Although, in a perfect world it would be the PS4 system specs but run on Xbox Live (PSN is a joke) and the Xbox One controller.

27. robmlufc

Zavvi.com have PS4 preorders at £399

28. Gheritt White

@22: Agreed. I’m tempted to hold off on next-gen until I’ve played all the games I want to from the current one.

29. reask

If Pat,s estimate is about right that,s not bad really.

30. abdooltk

If any one need to bay xbox one or ps4 he most see this compared between those console

31. tmac2011

lol 599. no thanks

32. minxamo

Amazon have set the preorder price at what they deem to be the absolute maximum that Microsoft will charge for the Xbox One, so that they can get early preorders without having to up the price once it is announced.
    This is a PLACEHOLDER, and is no indication whatsoever of the Xbone’s actual price.