Xbox One: Microsoft aware of anti-DRM campaigns, is listening to concerns

Thursday, 30th May 2013 12:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s pre-owned charge and Kinect DRM policy have caused quite a stir in the gaming world, and Microsoft’s Major Nelson has responded to gamers, suggesting that the company is definitely listening.

It followed rumours that Sony is now considering similar pre-owned safeguards, such as charging gamers a fee to run used games. It sparked a mass Twitter campaign that saw gamers tweeting Sony execs in protest of the alleged strategy.

Over on the Major Nelson blog, one fan wrote, “The entire world is watching Twitter explode. The campaign for no DRM is in full swing. Sony noticed and they’re tweeting in response. I hope Microsoft does too.”

Major Nelson – aka Larry Hyrb- replied, “We’re fully aware of what is going on. I am also working on a few things to address it. I can’t say much more right now. But we ARE listening.”

The latest rumour suggests gamers will have to pay a £35 charge on top of a used game’s cost in order to activate it. Check out our report here.

What’s your take?

Thanks CVG.

1. redwood

talk is cheap..the fact that they havn’t cleared it up yet means that they are making changes to policies :P (hopefully)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Kieran

i believe they are listening but i also believe there not gonna do a thing about it !!! X1 is gonna have that second hand game fee when it releases

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

Sure they are listening but what are they doing to address this?

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

@3 probably dance around it till the console release… anyway E3 should clear this stuff up.. if they come out silent on it at e3 than, rest assured, they have invested way too much into what ever infra-structure they have in place to do u-turn. same goes for sony too.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

So both MS and Sony are listening. The question is, WHEN and HOW they they respond when it comes to action.

#5 1 year ago
  6. orakaa

@4: We also thought that the Xbox One reveal would clarify all rumors and concerns people had about used games, mandatory online connexion, etc. Those rumors had been going on for MONTHS. They couldn’t have ignored them and yet they didn’t even prepare a simple Q&A so that Phil Harrison, Don Mattrick and other execs could answer the same thing on that.

Turns out they were not even ready. Or maybe they didn’t care as their primary focus was on TV and Sports.
    They even pushed their initial reveal from April to May. One month and it didn’t change a thing. So, in even less time they would find appropriate answers or change their strategy? We’ll see E3 but I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep their shady approach and try to keep forcing their greed on us

#6 1 year ago
  7. Logion

How are a multi-billion dollar company “listening?” I would have felt more reassured if he had said that they had a team on it. Or have brought it up with their PR department.

In that sense everyone in the world are listening to the DRM complaints. One way or another.

#7 1 year ago
  8. laughing-gravy

Fan power is a wonderful thing. Why don’t they just admit it was a rubbish idea all along and ditch it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lewis247

@8 In such a perfect world I just want this to happen.

A Kinect that doesn’t need to be watching all the time. A console that doesn’t need to be online every 24 hr. No pre-owned fee.

This is exactly what Microsoft needs to do. If not then no sale.

#9 1 year ago
  10. merrc

These twitter uproars mean nothing when people are still pre-ordering the hell out of the console. They simply want to seem as though they care about their consumers, because Sony responded. IMHO nothing is going to change, best they’ll lower the fee to MAYBE half the game’s cost.

#10 1 year ago
  11. viralshag

“Sony noticed and they’re tweeting in response.”

What? About how passionate their fans are? Hardly a rock solid statement for anything…

#11 1 year ago
  12. Francis O

Sorry, but MS has already sold their soul to the devil (EA) There is no way in hell EA will get rid of their online pass system, if MS wasn’t going to go with DRM and no used games.

That’s what happens when you partner with asshatz like EA. You start doing dumb ass anti consumer crap to please them.

This issue won’t get cleared up, and Merrc….pre-orders mean nothing when half of the people are trying to resell the console for more on ebay. The PS Vita has pre-order sell outs, the Wii U had pre-order sell outs, the PS4 will have pre-order sell outs. Hell the Gamecube had pre-order sell outs as well.

Pre-orders mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. The Xbone is screwed. It won’t sell in the UK, AUS, or Japan. Only in America

#12 1 year ago
  13. The_Red

I think that you are partially being hyperbolic.
    I also think there could be some harsh truth in your your words, specially the online pass part.

When EA abandoned Wii U, most people said it was because of its weak sales. Others said it was because of the rumored / failed Origin collaboration. The same EA had Battlefield 4 and many others but refused to show up during Sony even in any form (Where they can usually be seen). Then they announce the end of online pass system. THEN they make their first next-gen appearance during X1 reveal and show a lot of stuff.

It may sound hyperbolic but what if EA shunned Wii U because of whole used games and DRM stuff? We all know how publishers are putting console makers under pressure. So, what if they said do something about used games or we will abandon you? The timing of all these (End of game based Online Passes, Wii U shun and presence during MS event) feels… odd.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

Well there is this…

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 29 May
    “Death Ray Manta” coming to PlayStation Vita! #DRMPSVita http://www.inquisitr.com/678568/death-ray-manta-blasting-its-way-to-playstation-vita/

:D

#14 1 year ago
  15. viralshag

@14, haha nice, so Sony IS going ahead with DRM!!
    ;)

#15 1 year ago
  16. DrDamn

The hashtag was intentional and there is definitely an air of mischief about the tweet, which to me would indicate they aren’t doing anything along these lines. Will be interesting to see how this plays out though.

#16 1 year ago
  17. viralshag

@16, Just clever in my opinion to spin a hot topic in their favour for the game.

#17 1 year ago
  18. KineticCalvaria

They’re listening to us through our Kinects, quick unplug it!

#18 1 year ago
  19. ps3fanboy

trust me they have no intention to listen. they are just making changes to the mumbo jumbo policies, to get it to look more acceptable for customers. but in reality it will just be the same policies as before. the xbone have been done along time ago, so they cant change anything this late. it will be to costly to change hardware now. but what they can do is bs you, talk is cheap after all. don’t be fooled….

#19 1 year ago
  20. viralshag

Isn’t the PS4 Eye supposed to be able to unlock the machine when you walk into the room? Surely that would suggest it’s “always on”. I’d be curious to see what Sony’s policy is for the Eye.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Tavarish

@11 Hush heretic!

Don’t you dare second guess our new Gods, Sony and PS 4! Get on this bandwagon and start bashing MS’s and XBone’s brains in like rest of the Internet! Don’t even dare voice possibility that MS can actually react to this well and make improvements while our new God may stay silent!

P.S. I’m fucking sick of “Sony is God, they understand us! MS is Satan and XBone is Anti-Christ!” -chanting that has been going on for couple weeks almost now, non stop, by every forum and news outlet >.<

Edit: @20 Same goes for you! Don't you dare say anything bad about Sony and PS 4!

#21 1 year ago
  22. viralshag

@21, It’s just irritating when people overlook the fact they know less about the PS4 but still claim it and Sony are all in for the benefit for gamers. Based purely because they put on a better reveal show.

Seems a bit shallow to me.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Tavarish

@22 I will laugh my ass off if in E3 Sony reveals they have similar plans for theirs Eye, that is bundled to PS 4, than MS has for Kinect. It’s not like Sony isn’t interested in user behavior data because it’s holy grail of marketing and development.

#23 1 year ago
  24. viralshag

@23, Exactly, if they didn’t have similar plans to push motion control, voice activation and things like that why (potentially) bump up the price by including the camera?

The tech in the eye looks just as good and in some cases better. It just seems silly to bash one without knowing the full intentions of the other. The only difference is that MS has laid a fair bit of its non-essentially-to-gamer news on the table already.

#24 1 year ago
  25. orakaa

@23 and 24: oh come on…
    The reason why Microsoft gets such a sh*tstorm is because people react on what they SAID. Then they backtracked on some aspects, were not clear, etc.
    We will see what will come out of E3 but so far they had the SH*TIEST Public Relation campaign ever seen in history of videogames, at least to their core audience.
    THIS is why they have such a backlash amongst “the vocal minority”.

Maybe Sony will go with the same restrictions, and believe me that IF they do, they will get the same amount of sh*t. Before Microsoft and Sony’s reveals, it was a status quo amongst gamers’ reactions.

DRM for used games (even solo games), mandatory online, Kinect to be mandatory connected otherwise the console won’t launch, etc.
    It’s not a problem of focus on TV, sports or whatever, it’s a problem on their gaming strategy and how they want to milk consumers.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Tavarish

@25 It just reeks of double standard currently, especially on forums where these flamewars are currently had. A lots of people are bashing MS’s skull in for reasons you mentioned, and I don’t say those aren’t legitimate reasons, but same time these same people are blindly defending Sony with lines like “They (Sony) would never do anything like this to us!”

That is just ludicrous because we, gamers and consumers, have absolutely no idea what Sony is going to do e.g. with Eye that is bundled into PS 4 package. We have no idea will they ask for it to be connected at all times for audio and visual commands, data collection etc. like XBone seems to do with Kinect.

I can and do understand reasons why MS is getting backslash, but they got it already. Public, forums and even major news outlets, just has been rubbing it in for almost two weeks now. It has rendered a lot of forums and sites useless for me because I’m getting sick and tired of all that MS bashing while saying how Sony will never ever do anything like MS wants to do.

Point being give it a rest. We know MS fucked up, we know a lot of people don’t like it, but for Gods sake move fucking on already and wait for actual updates from MS on these issues. While at it don’t praise Sony as motherfucking God because we actually don’t know anything what theirs policies will be. We just know PS 4 is a thing and it has games.

#26 1 year ago
  27. John117

@26 Try saying that to PS3fanboy, I’ve been having fun looking for his comments on every xbox related article. Seems he has run out of bad things to say about MS so he is just repeating himself now.

#27 1 year ago
  28. viralshag

@25, And so Sony gets a free pass just because they haven’t said anything? Seems a bit stupid to me. What one does the other will not be that far behind or on a completely different track.

And like you said, it’s the minority that are kicking and screaming about everything. Anyone with a bit of sense will wait until everything has been revealed about both consoles.

It’s the same old stuff, just a different generation. Fresh fanboy suits are dusted off for another console war mosh pit while the REAL gamers buy both or the one that is actually best for gaming.

#28 1 year ago
  29. orakaa

@26: I understand what you say, but putting any criticism towards those measures as “Sony fanboyism” is just as restrictive.

I would criticize those measures as hard if they were made by Sony. And although I’ve been a console gamer since the 80s (started with MSX and NES), if Sony goes the same way as Microsoft, I won’t buy any of their console. Maybe I’ll get a WiiU, but that would be it.

#29 1 year ago
  30. orakaa

@28: Read my previous post. What do you want? Criticize Sony for things they haven’t announced?? Are you serious ? o___O

Current critics are based on Microsoft revealed strategy. Maybe they’ll backtrack on that, but so far people are rightfully complaining on restrictive measures ANNOUNCED. So they deserved this shit, either for going against their consumers’ interests, or for just doing the most stupid PR campaign in years.

If Sony announces the same measures, I’ll criticize them just the same.
    I’m a gamer. I’ve owned consoles from Nintendo, Sega (sigh… missing them), Microsoft and Sony. My money goes to the ones with whom I’ll be able to enjoy the free time I spend playing games.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Tavarish

@29 I don’t think it has nothing to do with being fanboy of Sony or MS. It seems that everyone, fanboy or not, is jumping into this circlejerk bandwagon where theme is to keep bashing MS and praising Sony blindly. Such strong kneejerk reaction to what MS told about theirs goals with Xbox 1.

Personally I just wish it all would stop until MS gives out proper updates on said issues and we actually know Sony’s policies. Why? I want to be able to browse my favorite forums and news outlets without constantly running into MS bashing and Sony PS 4 praising that is weird mix of facts and believes.

#31 1 year ago
  32. viralshag

@30, But like #26 says, at this point people are just going on and on about it like constantly bashing MS will actually change anything. And if I had a dollar for every time I have read “oh well PS4 for me then” I would be rich.

I get the criticism for some points but as some of it is still up in the air I think it’s too early to make any definite decisions. And I’m not aiming this directly as you per se but again like #26 pointed out, it’s happening a lot on almost every Xbox One article and it’s a little boring now surely? That’s why most people come across as fanboys.

#32 1 year ago
  33. karma

Listening but not acting as per usual. Ive been with them since 2002 with the original xbox and I cant count the number of times i’ve heard such statements and promises from MS over the years. Its ridiculous, and they NEVER come through with any of them.
    They can take a flying leap off a high mountain for all I care, because nobody I know is going anywhere near a console that is classified as a surveillance device in some countries due to always watching and listening kinect requirement. A console that also prevents many potential gamers from even playing their games due to the restrictive online DRM requirement. Also the used game countermeasures which will obviously pass the additional cost onto game owners making their games worthless, which in turn will kill the second hand market and force more gamers into piracy just to keep up with their gaming habit. And last but not least, i’m sick of paying an unjustified fee just to play my games online or use third party apps, all the time while having advertisements funneled through my IP to my screen. I pay my Internet Provider to access the internet not fecking microsoft for christ’s sakes!

#33 1 year ago
  34. Cobra951

@26: It’s not what people know, but what they hope. MS left a huge hole in the future by making the XB1 unacceptable. Nintendo isn’t even competing. The only hope left is Sony. Sure, they can fuck up the PS4 in the same self-serving way as MS, but we don’t know that yet. We surely hope not. All we can do is cling to the better reports and rumors about the PS4′s friendlier stance, and hope they become reality. Then we can turn our backs on the anti-consumer policies without giving up console gaming entirely.

#34 1 year ago
  35. ps3fanboy

Sony would never do anything like this DRM crap, ever!

#35 1 year ago
  36. Samoan Spider

@35 Have you ever heard of Kübler-Ross? You’re at stage one.

#36 1 year ago
  37. orakaa

I hope both Sony and Microsoft will go on the no-DRM, no-mandatory online connection road.

So far, I’ve seen no benefits, neither on Sony nor Microsoft to go next-gen. No major graphic improvement for the moment (guess in a year or two we’ll have real visual improvements), and TONS of (potential?) restrictions. I don’t even know what we’re fighting over for.
    We’re talking about 350-500 euros, and for what? Nothing particularly appealing for the moment (only game I could be interested in is InFamous Second Son, because I loved the first two games, not because it’s on a next gen console).

#37 1 year ago
  38. aprotosis

I think the thing that has been most annoying about the whole fan reaction is that not just forum dwellers, but even gaming “news” sites are just reacting to any rumor in an attempt to be first to press on anything. This of course pushes readers into a larger frevor. The lack of reaction to PS4 rumors or their lack of information just shows the nature of this hyperbolic circle.

A good example is the last line thrown onto this article. “The latest rumour suggests gamers will have to pay a £35 charge on top of a used game’s cost in order to activate it.” How in the bloody hell is this related to the actual article aside from just being a negative rumor? Especially since the rumor comes straight from the “pulled out of someone’s ass” bucket. If you start looking backwards at post-reveal MS articles, they are all organized like this.

#38 1 year ago
  39. fearmonkey

IF EA and Activision acted as go betweens with Sony and MS on implementing DRM (and I bet they have), this might take some real discussion. MS got hammered for it first, But I know Sony had a plan in there as well, prompted by the Publishers. If Sony backs out and informs EA, then EA will need time to work it out with MS. I bet this is a real slippery slope right now, and its a mess because so many players are involved.

IF EA and Activision werent involved (and I highly doubt that) then MS would not want to say anything more until they have a better idea what Sony is thinking, and vice versa. Sony can sit back and let MS deal with the anger and upset, and not say anything. Sony wont want to say yeah we arent doing DRM because MS can then say it right back. The longer Sony says nothing, and MS follows, the more animosity MS gets and thats a good thing for Sony. If I were them, I would be coy as well, Sony actually gets nothing from saying we wont have DRM right now, goodwill only lasts so long, and they are better off waiting.

MS on the other hand, would be better off stating something now if it was NO DRM, but im sure that is what is being debated in closed door meetings with publishers last week and this week as well.

#39 1 year ago
  40. locsphere

Here is the deal with the We’re listening thing… We heard this from EA/BioWare and it turned out to be a bunch of nonsesne. They only took the feedback they wanted to hear and ignored their harshest critics. They surrounded themselves with self inflating and self pat on the backs people who reinforced the trophy generation attitude that you are somehow exempt from harsh criticism especially when you screwed up

If they are listening then enact the

NO DRM
    NO CHECK IN
    NO FORCED Kinect use (Choice)
    Mandatory privacy standard like REDDIT. Anything you collect is not shared and destroyed.

Policy also needs to state Microsoft has no right being in your home through the kinect sensor. After this Prism thing it needs to be in their own Terms of service. I want to be able to unplug that dam thing.

#40 1 year ago