Xbox boss promises more diversity and creativity through indie games

Thursday, 30th May 2013 03:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft’s Phil Spencer has said he expects the indie scene to flourish on Xbox One and Xbox Live, despite plans to disallow self-publishing.

“I love indie games. Personally, that’s where I’m playing a lot of games. I love the diversity of characters, stories and play styles,” the Microsoft Studios corporate vice president told Polygon.

“We want to make the television screen a home for more content, diversity of business model, size of content. Look at 360 and our history investing in games like Braid, Limbo, Castle Crashers and Trials. I think the team has done a nice job of identifying small indie developers and bringing those games [to Xbox].

“Moving forward I think you’re going to see more diversity in business models and price points and – most important to me – creativity.”

Spencer also told the site that Microsoft has refined its certificaiton process to make it easier for indies to publish on Xbox platforms, and that it’s actively working to woo Japanese developers.

Although it seems committed to its decision to disallow self-publishing – a move that hasn’t gone down well with smaller developers – Microsoft recently revealed that it has plans for an indie support program.

1. Kanok

Very nice MS :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. melonbuster1

What indies support? ? Your in big trouble Sony

#2 1 year ago
  3. ps3fanboy

the xbox boss goes public & begs on his knees for indie to come back… MICRO$HAFT ARE REALLY THAT DESPERATE! HAHAHA!

#3 1 year ago
  4. John117

@3 Haha, you seem rather desperate at trying to trashtalk MS xP Sure you aint actually hiding in the closet until you are ready to express your love for the XO? We will be there to greet you when you finally come out ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. MidlifeAxe

@1 You actually believe this? Anything now is just damage control.

#5 1 year ago
  6. redwood

not allowing self publishing only gets indies lesser money, cause getting a publisher means that both ms and the pub takes a cut. I don’t see how that’s better than allowing self-publishing.. I also don’t see why they would dis-allow it in the first place.

#6 1 year ago
  7. laughing-gravy

Here is an interesting article on self publishing.

#7 1 year ago