Sega Spectrum logo sparks E3 console and service rumours

Tuesday, 28th May 2013 12:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Sega could be gearing up to announce something called Spectrum at E3 2013, according to a photo unearthed online.

NeoGAF user shaowebb posted the above photo, which bears the month of June below, suggesting that it’s related to some kind of E3 reveal. The Japanese text reads, “A new world of entertainment.”

Since the image surfaced, some sites have speculated that the logo is for a new Sega console, which seems highly unlikely at this point in time. Instead, it could be a new digital service or method of pushing out arcade content in Japan, similar to the company’s Ringwide technology that came into affect a few years ago.

Either way, the floor is now yours readers. What do you think this relates to?

1. ps3fanboy

the new dreamcast will arise and yet again sega will take world domination!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

For a moment i thought this said sputum.

#2 1 year ago
  3. NocturnalB

As much as i love to believe in a great thing.. screw it! I’ll hold out hope. I’d love to see a new Sega console.

FYI guys I’m looking to create a PSN I.D. and i need some help. I’ve already tried NocturnalB and a few other things and they’ve all been taken. Any suggestions for some variant of my name for my new PSN would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Other names taken were Nocturnum (My old WoW handle) and Nocturnus (another old WoW handle). Thanks again!

#3 1 year ago
  4. CyberMarco

Nocturnious maybe?

#4 1 year ago
  5. ps3fanboy

@3 what about NocturnalBee or Nocturnalurns… or more wild ones like -> Noctijusturnal or Nocturnmum or Nocturanus or Noctiousdead…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Kabby

BigNockers.

#6 1 year ago
  7. NocturnalB

The “B” has relevance as it’s the first letter of my name, Nocturnal has to do with A) I’ve been a night owl all my life and B) I’ve coincidentally worked nights most of my adult life.

LOL “Nocturnanus”… no chance in hell but funny as.

#7 1 year ago
  8. CyberMarco

Nocturnosaurus, Nocturious, Noctius, or you can go wild with Swag4Life or YOLO4EVA! :p

#8 1 year ago
  9. BootLace

Nocturnowl?

#9 1 year ago
  10. soqquatto

I’d love to have a Sega Spectrum console, of course it would be inferior to the Nintendo 64.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Maxey

The next generation of Blast Processing!

#11 1 year ago
  12. NocturnalB

#11 LOL! But it makes it cooler remember!

#12 1 year ago
  13. SplatteredHouse

Spectrum? Seems straight forward enough. My guess would be that it’s probably a content delivery platform. Hopefully, it’s more of a branding umbrella for SEGA digital, rather than some casual portal which these things so far, in the end, have tended to be. The spectrum name certainly suggests its not likely to have such a narrow focus.

#13 1 year ago
  14. The_Red

No way. No fucking way there is a new console from SEGA and it is call Spec-freaking-trum.

(Though it would be fun to have a battle between power of Blast Processing, power of Supercharged PC and power of Cloud)

#14 1 year ago
  15. JavelinX

Better than “The One” by Hugo Boss

#15 1 year ago
  16. Bomba Luigi

Yeah, Console not gonna happen. But even when Miracles could happen, does Sega have the Money to make a new Console?

#16 1 year ago
  17. Clupula

Nocturnalemission

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

Or, you could just forget about your old name and give yourself a new start.

In fact, that could be your screenname. ANUSTART

#18 1 year ago
  19. Moonwalker1982

Imagine it though. SEGA coming out of the blue with a new console, on par with next-gen systems or better and shocking everybody. Hey i can dream, right? :)

Such a shame what happened to Dreamcast.

#19 1 year ago
  20. dizzygear

My money is some sort of shitty mobile service no one will care about.

#20 1 year ago
  21. NocturnalB

Thanks for all the ideas guys it helped genuinely, i am now officially NocturnumB on PSN. Huzzah

Edit: I’d also like to apologize for being off topic from the article, although i do agree with the general consensus that it’s most likely some form of service platform.

#21 1 year ago
  22. ps3fanboy

@22 no problem anything for a playstation brother…

#22 1 year ago
  23. Jogo

Cloud Gaming Console or Service!?

#23 1 year ago
  24. tenthousandgothsonacid

It’s a new sega console based on the zx spectrum innit :)

#24 1 year ago
  25. Mus42

Should have just called it Sega Dreamcast One = Done :D

#25 1 year ago
  26. wober2

Weird color choices. They speak of a spectrum so they use a color spectrum that is known for print media CMYK, while they make games that rely on the RGB color spectrum… Unless they are branching out to make printers or maybe become a print ad company.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Hirmetrium

It’s a PC digital distribution service. Look at Origin, Steam, Uplay, and then look at SEGA’s PC offerings – games like COH2 and R:TW2 are both due. It’s the perfect time to announce it.

#27 1 year ago
  28. dreamcastnews

Didn’t fans work out this was fake?

#28 1 year ago
  29. dreamcastnews

So…… This didn’t happen then?

#29 1 year ago