Xbox One opinions from developers vary on Kinect 2, TV centric focus

Friday, 24th May 2013 21:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A few developers have weighed in on the Xbox One reveal, with many citing confusion over why we have to have Kinect 2 enabled all the time, and why the main focus was on the television aspect of the console – and not the games.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Just Add Water boss Stewart Gilray said he’s a bit confused over the all-in-one aspect when users still have to have a secondary device attached.

“Microsoft is attempting to be the one device in the living room, but at the same time as doing that you have to have a secondary device, like a TiVo, to HDMI into the Xbox One to be able to use the TV side of it, which to me defeats the entire purpose,” he said. “It’s very confusing.

“The only real positive for always-on is the concept of instant booting. You come into your room and just say ‘on’, and on you go. But I can do it already on the PS3 and Xbox 360. You just press the button on the controllers. I personally don’t see what an always-on system will do for us, other than background downloading when you’re not around, which will be a massive plus.

“I wonder if bundling Kinect with it and the fact it’s always-on is going to put a lot of people off. They’re saying, even if the system is turned off or on stand-by, you come into your living room and say, ‘Xbox On’, so Kinect is going to be watching all the time. How many people will that put off? It’s not something that sits well with me, frankly.”

Former People Can Fly developer Adrian Chmielarz, said he’s not too keen on waving his arms in front of the TV or using Skype when playing a game.

“I don’t want to talk to my TV, I don’t want to wave my hands in front of my TV, and I don’t want to Skype with a friend when I’m engaged in a game,” he said. “That’s not to say that Kinect 2.0 is useless (I’m curious about that heartbeat thing, for one), but for now I don’t see it as anything too exciting.

“It’s very hard for me to stay objective here. For example, with all due respect to Mr. Spielberg, a Halo TV series is not the reason for me to buy a $400 (or whatever) box. I got way more excited when I saw Jonathan Blow on the PS4 stage. Not because of his game, but because of the message that Sony was sending this way.

“But look, I could go on forever about this or that feature and about this or that element of the ecosystem. At the end of the day I think the problem is not necessarily with the hardware or features, but with the unveil strategy itself. It’s fine to start with the non-gaming stuff, then please gamers at E3, but I wish Microsoft was more clear and vocal about it and set the expectations right.

“Because we all wanted to see the future of gaming, and we got almost none of that, and what we got were weak pre-rendered movies that looked worse than some of the games I have on my PC right now, or a dog and fish AI. I have no reason to prefer any console over the other, hell, I want them both to succeed – more platforms for our games, yay! But, to be honest, I don’t think anyone from Sony lost any sleep.”

Other developers provided their two-cents as well. Go have a read through the link.

Microsoft has promised that its E3 press conference will be all about the games, and promises 90 minutes of nothing but. The firm also has 15 Xbox One exclusives in the works and eight are entirely new IPs.

Thanks, Djoenz.

1. ehab

I actually agree with this. Gaming took a backseat in Microsoft’s showing and that was kind of a let down. The features they showed, while awesome, were not why any gamer would buy a console! Also, kinect always on? That sounds a bit… disheartening.

#1 11 months ago
  2. actuallyisnotafox

you can watch Sky on your Xbox One or… you can change the display settings on the remote, from HDMI to TV. Microsoft call this a living room console, how many living rooms have TV.

Sorry btw i didnt read the article straight away D: i see that someone else is as confused as i am.. but yeah great article Stephany :)

#2 11 months ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

#3 11 months ago
  4. WENDiGO

What really got to me with this reveal is that I was ready to get both consoles based on what MS shows. I was loyal to playstation for 2 generations. But I was ready to commit to both this time. Watching that reveal, especially what they ended with really pissed me off. It showed me their approach for next gen, an entertainment centric machine. They dare to call it a gaming console. It’s funny how the one time I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt they throw up the middle finger at us all.

#4 11 months ago
  5. MadFingerz

@2 Did M$ really call it a living room console? Wow, that is one stupid concept. Many people have their consoles in their bedroom. Always-on can really be an issue here if the box makes quite some noise. One thing you don’t want is a machine sounding like a nuclear reactor while you try to sleep and having to switch the power source button off every time isn’t pratical.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Richenbaum

Always on doesn’t mean always running at full speed as if it was playing a game. We do have the future technology for things to run silent and in low power mode and etc etc.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Richenbaum

What’s with all this focus on irrelevant optional features of the new systems anyway? Where’s all the outrage about how the prices for both systems games are all $99.99? Maybe there’s already been an article about it, but I don’t really want to dig through pages and pages of rumors to find it.

#7 11 months ago
  8. KAP

Exactly…Imagin if Sony presented Xbox One back at there February conference….
    This would be the biggest shitstorm known to gaming history but it clearly seems to me that gaming journalists seem to give MS a fucking pass and its truly dreadful.
    I’m a huge 360 fan but Fuck. Me. This is not OK! Gaming should be first and foremost and everything else is secondary right? But nah were meant to give MS the benefit of the doubt seeing as they did so well with games this generation right?

Utter brainwashed.

#8 11 months ago
  9. pukem0n

i hope Microsoft really delivers at E3.

Basically this presentation was for the average Joe who doesnt do much gaming on his console. weirdly, there seem to be a lot of those people.

while E3 is games driven and Microsoft promised us 15 exclusives in the first year with 8 new IPs.

so not all hope is lost. but if they dont show us anything good at E3 they can go home

#9 11 months ago
  10. Richenbaum

@8 Honestly whats the difference between this and Sony’s heavy focus on social networking?

#10 11 months ago
  11. Richenbaum

@9 sure, because everyone’s trying to ride the casual gamer train to success in the footsteps of the wii and ios gaming. it’s a huge market right now unfortunately.

#11 11 months ago
  12. MadFingerz

@6 I know but some machines, even on stand by, can be quite loud. If I was a potential buyer, it’s something I would be worried about especially considering the whole RROD fiasco.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Phoenixblight

@Richenbaum

Rumors are not facts and games are not going up to the cost of 100$

You know because they actually demonstrated what the system can do with games unlike MS just showing off COD #090984398 which is a multiplatform game and Sport games both of which the demos were cutscenes not actual gameplay all for a whole 10 minutes altogether out of a hour presentation.

#13 11 months ago
  14. MadFlavour

Aids is better than xbox one.

#14 11 months ago
  15. WENDiGO

@10 That social networking actually revolves around gaming. It seemed mostly gaming centric.

#15 11 months ago
  16. MadFlavour

The amazing thing about the xbox is you can watch TV now.

On your TV.

You couldn’t do that before.

I mean you could watch TV, but not on your TV.

But now you can.

If you have a cable subscription box and an xbox one with a gold subscription, and you’re a fucking sucker.

What a time to be alive.

Magic and science.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Richenbaum

@13 what rumors? you can go to any online store that’s selling pre-orders for ps4/xbox1 games and see the $99.99 price tag on them.

#17 11 months ago
  18. mtnman3888

@17 That’s a place holder price, common for any retailer before confirmed pricing by the manufacturer. No way they are priced that high. I think they will be $60 like this gen due to the PC like architecture. No reason for them to be much more expensive than PC games other than royalty fees paid to MS and Sony.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Richenbaum

@18 well I certainly hope you’re right, but there’s plenty of reason for developers to do it. when games these days are selling several million copies and still being considered failures, a price hike isn’t exactly a stretch. big companies like Capcom has already been talking about higher game prices so I can’t imagine that it hasn’t crossed the minds of EA and Activision and all them. 20 years ago no one thought games would be $60 plus dlc costs either. we’ll see. that’s sure a bigger concern to me than some silly optional tv functions is all I was saying.

#19 11 months ago
  20. sg1974

Kinect 1 was supposed to have revolutionised gaming and the living room. How did that prediction work out?

Kinect 2 is clever. Really clever. I mean scary clever. It will still flop like 1.

Just ask Milo. If you can rescue him from Molyneux’s basement dungeon, that is.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Phoenixblight

THose are all placeholder prices. I had emailed AMazon a month or so ago and they said as such. Its to defer people to not order it now.

Capcom also talks a lot of shit. BTW we have been paying th same price for games for the last 20 years even with inflation, should be thankful for that.

#21 11 months ago
  22. manamana

I wholeheartedly agree with all developer statements.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Christopher Jack

I don’t get this TV centric focus when shows are moving to on demand. Giant waste of time in my opinion. Just look at past attempts such as the PSX & PlayTV.

People buy video game consoles to play video games, I know that sounds ridiculous but for the most part it’s true! Although Sony were quite successful in the pass at reaching non-gamers using a DVD drive on the PS2. There are many people who brought it in the early days primarily as semi-affordable DVD player & same goes to the PS3 with Blu Ray. I could imagine that many of these people end up buying a few games.

Revealing a video game console without the games is stupid. Microsoft should know they can’t sell this as some sort of set top box because it isn’t!- it just adds an overlay to a signal another device receives. Even if it were capable of directly receiving the signal, I don’t think there’s huge demand for a $400~ set top box to begin with.

If MS were looking to dominate through multimedia, they really ought to step it up a notch with their content delivery services rather than adding a television overlay. They could use Windows 8, WP8 & Xbone to compete directly with iTunes but so far it’s been a mess.

#23 11 months ago
  24. Clupula

@19 – In all fairness, 20 years ago, I remember Phantasy Star IV and Virtua Racing for the Genesis costing $100.

#24 11 months ago
  25. Christopher Jack

Now that I’ve mentioned it, the Xbone reminds me of the PSX in it’s overly rectangular design, just black with the disk tray moved over.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Richenbaum

@24 sure and Strider and Chrono Trigger were $75 on release, but those were all a tiny minority among the normal prices of $40-$50

#26 11 months ago
  27. zinc

Its going to be interesting in how MS market this. I mean gamers all say the xbone is aimed at the *casual* audience, but the casual audience don’t need an additional $400 set-top box, doing stuff they already can do.

Sure a voice activated remote isnice, but not $400 nice. And what smartphone doesn’t have access to Skype?

The hook for the xbone quite clearly is *gaming*, but MS seem to be ignoring this.

#27 11 months ago
  28. KAP

I mean who is an avid TV watcher, specially at the dawn of Netflix and YouTube.

#28 11 months ago
  29. Mike W

Damn MS sure had a tough week….but I think a lot of us jumping the gun here. We have to wait for E3 to see what MS is going to do.

I’m not really excited at all for these so called 15 exclusives, because we already know of 3 of them (Forza 5, Quantum Break and Crytek’s Ryse) so that leaves 12 and out of that, how many are kinect games?

#29 11 months ago
  30. Bomba Luigi

I think MS had Data that most People with the 360 didn’t play that much, and watched more Netflix and stuff for the most Time. Don’t know where and when I heard that, but it should be true.

So most People barley played Games with 360. So MS thinks other STuff than Gaming is more Important, so they make TV stuff. Because most People watched Netflix…oh…. wait a second, somethings wrong….

#30 11 months ago
  31. zinc

The sad thing is, MS could have created the killer console. A dedicated games machine, with high end graphics, online play and all at the fraction of the cost of a gaming pc.

But just like Sony all those years ago, they are going To piss it all away chasing the multimedia dream.

#31 11 months ago
  32. polygem

this kinda nailed it for me…

#32 11 months ago
  33. sg1974

“MS could have created the killer console. A dedicated games machine, with high end graphics, online play and all at the fraction of the cost of a gaming pc.”

Already been done.

#33 11 months ago
  34. polygem

lol

#34 11 months ago
  35. melonbuster1

Oh I get it they needed a share button!!!. Now its a hardcore gamers system. . Give me a damn break. . Besides Sony’s exclusive games they have the same. E3 is when you see all. Btw what did the ps4 look like oh yeah they didn’t show it

#35 11 months ago
  36. polygem

but they showed knack and deep down, which was stuff i am extremely interested in, they showed remote play, which i loved, invited jonathan blow (great message transported by doing that), interviewed devs to get the system structure right and clearly said that they will focus on the gamer. ms showed a bunch of really creepy fucktards in suits talking about multibillion sports deals, tv, motion gaming, voice recognition and cod…judging by the status quo, ms has absolutely nothing on offer for me but a nice looking controller.

#36 11 months ago
  37. Christopher Jack

@35, Need help getting that stick outta your arse?

#37 11 months ago
  38. manamana

@poly the gamasutra opinion defo nailed it.

#38 11 months ago
  39. Lengendaryboss

LOL :D

#39 11 months ago
  40. Erthazus

But actually, Sony is going somewhere that way too with the Share button.

One is TV,Sports and Call OF Duty… The other one is connection, twitter, share button thing. Lol

#40 11 months ago
  41. Clupula

I was wondering actually. What would happen if certain retailers just refused to stock it unless Microsoft changed their used game policy? It’s not unprecedented. I remember a number of retailers refusing to stock the Saturn after Sega released it nine months early.

Would the Xbox One just be dead in the water until they changed their policy? Or would whichever one retailer decided to make a deal with Microsoft reap the benefit of exclusivity?

#41 11 months ago
  42. mageca

Did you know that Mageca ( http://www.mageca.com ) is the first app store for kinect apps ? You can find all kind of gesture controlled apps ( even for a simple 2d camera)

#42 11 months ago
  43. Neroist

The fact that Kinect has to be plugged in and working at all times. Infrared see is the dark pulse taking camera watching you always, taking data and then storing it in a database.

Making the Xbox having to go online once every 24 hours to “sync up”. I would say its safe to assume they want this data regularly sent to them and stored. That data can then be sold to other parties. But what is worse is that LAW ENFORCEMENT CAN ACCESS THIS DATA WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE! It only takes a subpena or just a request from courts, law enforcement or government.
    When put into the airports were are upset. Now we buy it to put in our homes? #meetTrojanhorse

#43 11 months ago
  44. soulseller

I can see the kinect being used by Microsoft to collect viewing data (i.e. number of people watching, are they looking away/talking, happy/sad, even arousal level/heart rate) to sell to advertisers and TV companies. This would be another reason why the once every 24HR check in would be necessary. A Microsoft executive has already said biometric data collected would be used for research and development purposes but would not be individually identifiable.

#44 11 months ago
  45. Neroist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7GBUeHv_Ts @ 6:05 He shows you yes it does identify and keep statistics of each person.
    When I watch the whole video it kinda scares me the power of this and the mandatory keeping it on and updating every 24 hours.

#45 11 months ago
  46. Rosseu

PS4′s take on the tv thing:

#46 11 months ago
  47. manamana

^ good one!

#47 11 months ago
  48. Erthazus

M.A.X.I.M.U.M. T.R.O.L.L.I.N.G.

#48 11 months ago
  49. Dark

this is my favorite lol.

#49 11 months ago
  50. Digital Bamboo

The look of the X1 reminds me of another multi-use, broad-reaching system I happen to own:

I’m sure Microsoft will fare much better than that though.

#50 11 months ago
  51. Templar_Dante

Not “X1″
    Its “Xbone”

#51 11 months ago
  52. Blue Oni

I still can’t believe how ugly this thing looks.

#52 11 months ago
  53. abdooltk

You now company like Microsoft do not care about gamers or the fan of company or consumer they just want RIP OFF our money .Take lock the impassive companies like APPLE,SONY,NINTENDO,AND ROCKSTAR GAMES THE CONSUMER IN FRETS,BUT WITH MICROSOFT NOOOO THE CONSUMER IN THE LAST FOR EXAMPLE RED DEAD LIGHT .SOME THING FUNNY BECAUSE OF MICROSOFT I HAVE 3 XBOX360 WITH RED DEAD LIGHT AND MICROSOFT RESPONSES IS THEY CAN’T FIXED ,BUT THEY SORRY BAY ANOTHER ONE I swear SO FUCK MICROSOFT IT’S A MASSIVE RIP OFF GUYS AND DON’T BE FOOLS …….

#53 11 months ago
  54. Christopher Jack

@54, You need to work on your English, bro. Also NO company puts the consumers first, although some are simply less evil than others.

#54 11 months ago
  55. Redh3lix

I think The Chive’s video summarizes the new Xbox reveal for me: http://thechive.com/2013/05/24/the-xbox-one-reveal-in-2-minutes-video/

#55 11 months ago