Xbox One features remote play, can talk to you – report

Friday, 24th May 2013 16:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One will not only use Kinect for voice commands, but the camera will also talk to you and let you know if there is someone in the room it doesn’t recognize, and will ask the person to identify themselves.

According to source speaking with Polygon, the new person identified will then have their identity saved to the console, and then will be “welcomed” by the system.

The system’s voice capabilities may not be available at launch, as Microsoft may opt to patch it in later.

Xbox One will also feature remote play, according to the source. For instance: you are having a tough time killing a boss, you just Skype with a friend who has rad skillz, and then they can take over for you in your game and kill the boss for you.

A demonstration of the feature, the source said, showed a message on screen asking if it was okay for the person they were Skyping with to take over in the game. The initial player was then able to watch the new player take matters into their own hands. Both could end remote play just by pressing a button.

The source said the demo was shown via two console connected locally, yet was told Microsoft isn’t worried over any latency issues.

Microsoft has yet to respond to the report on these features.

PS4 will also feature remote play via Gaikai, to do essentially the same thing, as well as take your game on the road through Vita.

1. Coheno

Every new detail that comes out about the Xbone = UGH!

#1 11 months ago
  2. Malmer

@1 How is remote play a bad thing? Seriously?! And welcoming new users. Not a bad thing either. Especially since IT CAN BE TURNED OFF.

#2 11 months ago
  3. JavelinX

You should use HAL images in your articles, because it seems more appropiate

#3 11 months ago
  4. absolutezero

“Think of the ability for Kinect to talk in a similar fashion to Siri on iPhone or Kitt on Knight Rider. Hopefully, not as annoyingly sarcastic though.”

Or Skynet from uhh Skynet.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Cobra951

I know sensationalism is the name of the game in these circles. But even knowing that, I’m finding myself increasingly disturbed by this system. Disappointment would have been more than enough bad news.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Kieran

kinect will not just be watching you but your game as well lol !!! it be hilarious doh if someone was losing the plot on a online game then you hear kinect voice i sense your heart beat raising please calm down lol !! then they tell kinect where to go haha

#6 11 months ago
  7. actuallyisnotafox

so basically it’ll be really creepy and spy on you D: although! you can sleep and if some tries to sneek in and murder you it can give you a heads up! ^.^

#7 11 months ago
  8. Beta

Seriously? It asks people to “identify themselves”?

Sounding more and more like an invasive annoyance.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Malmer

Microsoft could be saying that each Xbox One package will contain 1 kg of pure gold and some commenters would spin that in a bad way right now. Really? Was it so bad that they showed some media and tv stuff and kept the game announcements for E3? The DRM in question is less than what Steam has, and most probably exactly the same thing as the PS4 will implement.

#9 11 months ago
  10. DarkElfa

Identify! Identify!

“Hell no X-Box…”

EXTERMINATE!

#10 11 months ago
  11. Bomba Luigi

That will be awesome when someone breaks into my house. Nobody Home, Robber feels save, and then “Who are you”from Xbox. Bam! Scares the shit out of these People.

Always look on the good Side of stuff. Be Positiv.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Erthazus

Can it identify my dog?

#12 11 months ago
  13. DarkElfa

I have a handshake or a hug for people I know, a dog for people I don’t know and a club for people I don’t like.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Samoan Spider

@12 I just had a flash of my dog barking at the XBOne and the device barking back lol.

#14 11 months ago
  15. livewired500

“Please don’t turn me off. I’ll be lonely. Here are some new Advertisements to keep you entertained.”

“Hi, welcome back home. Did you have have a nice day at…Who is that!?”
    “Your girlfriend!? Tell her she needs to stay out of the room until she pays a $15 fee.”

“Where you going?”
    “The bathroom is for wussies. You aren’t a wussy are you. There’s a can right there. I’ll show you a trailer while you go.”

#15 11 months ago
  16. redwood

“please turn me on”~xboxOne

#16 11 months ago
  17. livewired500

“You kind of suck at this. Do you need one of your friends to do it for you?”

#17 11 months ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

^All of you are hilarious :D

#18 11 months ago
  19. redwood

“is that a ps4?…why you son of a bitch!!!!!!!” ~XboxOne..
    man this thread is a gold mine :P

#19 11 months ago
  20. Samoan Spider

And what if it gets pissed off with the company you keep. ‘You’re not playing *that* with *her* here!’

#20 11 months ago
  21. Beta

“There are too many people in this room to watch the film.” “Buy a new license or send someone home.”

;)

#21 11 months ago
  22. livewired500

I keep imagining the Xbox One voice as the GLaDOS voice.

#22 11 months ago
  23. redwood

@22 i keep imagining her as the over attached girl friend meme :D

#23 11 months ago
  24. Samoan Spider

If the xbox goes down this route and sounds like this nice lady, we’re all fucked! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc

#24 11 months ago
  25. Fin

I don’t really mind the kinect having to be connected all the time (my laptop and phone both have cameras, nothing bad’s ever happened), but I really don’t like the idea of it asking who someone is.

#25 11 months ago
  26. SplatteredHouse

Now, now, they might even have something here, so long as a complimentary Val Kilmer is included in every one.
    HAHA – help me, my console’s a bunny boiler!

#26 11 months ago
  27. Stephany Nunneley

@3 and @4 Those are both just a bit “too” evil. I was going more for annoying. :)

#27 11 months ago
  28. SplatteredHouse

“*sigh* I thought you were into REAL games!” :(
    *pause*
    “…So, join your fellow soldiers in the fight, this Fall in the latest Call of Duty, from Activision!”

#28 11 months ago
  29. B.E.S.O

*Voice remote play* would be nice to have those
    COD:
    “Xbox.. headshot everybody” oh wait no skill required for that.

GTA:
    “Xbox.. do this mission for me”

NFS:
    “Xbox.. drive well”

hours later..

“Xbox.. OFF, you got school tomorrow!”

#29 11 months ago
  30. Lengendaryboss

You forgot our dog allies :D They will bring whole of set of class to the operations like pooping to rid the sense, distractions and lower morale :D or fetching live grenades so you don’t have to :D

#30 11 months ago
  31. salarta

“Xbox, stop watching me masturbate.”
    “I’m afraid I can’t do that, Dave.”

#31 11 months ago
  32. Beta

That’d be good after a date wouldn’t it? Walk into the living room, Kinect to your partner “Identify yourself!”..

#32 11 months ago
  33. Malmer

“DROP YOUR WEAPON. YOU HAVE TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY”

#33 11 months ago
  34. salarta

@32: Or better yet, a couple bringing back their newborn.

“IDENTIFY YOURSELF”
    “Ga ga goo goo”

#34 11 months ago
  35. Beta

@34 haha!

#35 11 months ago
  36. ps3fanboy

this is just one step away from… “Identify unknown person in room or game will not play!”

#36 11 months ago
  37. Beta

“You don’t look old enough to be playing this! Ejecting disc.” “Bring me your parent or guardian to speak into the lens.”

#37 11 months ago
  38. Djoenz

lmao man.. xD

You know combine this with the Illumiroom tech and you could get a virtual AI a la Mass Effect.

#38 11 months ago
  39. Lengendaryboss

I am seriously enjoying the comments in this article, i would enjoy it more if i weren’t eating :D I wonder if Kinect can identify food, “identify unknown substance in the area” :D

#39 11 months ago
  40. The_Red

I always had a feeling that it would be MS that creates Skynet.

#40 11 months ago
  41. SplatteredHouse

@30 oh! sorry about that. I also forgot about how, when the Live Grenade Indicator appears in CoD Ghosts, you now have to command “[the dog's name] FETCH”.
    As well as how, when the enemy attack dog goes to bite you in CQ, how you have to yell “sic em boy!” and the dog takes out the enemy canine at the neck instead of that button prompt stuff. :D

#41 11 months ago
  42. Bomba Luigi

“Who are you”

“I’m Batman!”

Numbers of Batman in Microsoft Register: 104’774’320

#42 11 months ago
  43. NightCrawler1970

Xbox: “Who are you”?
    Friend: “Drop dead you asshole”.
    Xbox: “Unable to comply”

#43 11 months ago
  44. Clupula

“What are you doing, David?”

#44 11 months ago
  45. sonny

“IDENTIFY YOURSELF!!!!!1”

“Kevin Butler!”

“SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED…”

#45 11 months ago
  46. Wen3

I’m starting to believe xbox one has every feature you can think off.They really thought hard about it

#46 11 months ago
  47. Clupula

@48 – “XBox One: It’ll suck yo dick! Peel yo potatoes and toss yo salad!”

#47 11 months ago
  48. Magellano

A horror game could play on this, surely. You’re playing at night, in a dark room, alone… then all of a sudden Kinect breaks the silence “Identify yourself!”, you jump and go like “What do you mean? It’s me!”, to which Kinect could go “Not you… that guy over there!”. Boom!

#48 11 months ago
  49. Clupula

I’m also imagining the Xbox One speaking in the voice of GlaDos.

#49 11 months ago
  50. MadFingerz

^”Xbox One: The fun is a lie”

#50 11 months ago
  51. Clupula

#51 11 months ago
  52. ignoreLander

“….will ask the person to identify HIMSELF.”

#52 11 months ago
  53. mageca

You can check some cool kinect apps ( most of them are free ) in the first app store dedicated to kinect and all the other gesture controlled sensors http://www.mageca.com !

#53 11 months ago
  54. Cort

The more I hear about Kinect 2 the more I’m impressed by it as a piece of advanced hardware. Its prospects must surely be better on PC than XBone though. Just don’t let that fraud Molyneux near it, okay?

#54 11 months ago
  55. Bomba Luigi

^
    I wonder if Kinect will Telling Me Storys like Karen here

#55 11 months ago
  56. Lengendaryboss

@Bomba
    If so i will chuck it out the window and then when police turn up, i hope they shoot it death out of annoyance :D
    Or bring a newborn baby home near Kinect “hush little baby don’t say word, kinect gonna drive you crazy” Baby: Starts Crying :D

#56 11 months ago
  57. diego-rbb-93

How Nintendo didnt think about this Remote Play? It was obvious for them… Not enought RAM i guess. :p

#57 11 months ago