Nvidia releases GTX 780 for £549 and GeForce Experience software

Thursday, 23rd May 2013 20:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nvidia has released its GTX 780 graphics card, and while it will run you £549, the thing clocks in at 863 Mhz and can be boosted to 900 Mhz. It also contains 3GB of DDR5 with a memory speed of 6Gbps. MCV says it also has “TDP of 250W and outputs via 2xDL-DVI slots, 1xHDMI and 1xDisplayport.” Whatever all that means. Just tell me if it makes things shiny and I’ll be pleased. Furthermore, the firm also launched its GeForce Experience software which will collects 20 minutes of game footage as you play, as well as analyzes your system to automatically choose the optimum settings configuration for whatever game you’re playing. Nifty.

1. noamlol2

that’s pretty expansive
    still you can get the 7970 for much less and expect 30% less then GTX 780

#1 1 year ago
  2. melonbuster1

And still the dumb master race is a generation behind xboxone

#2 1 year ago
  3. Wen3

Too expensive

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

@2, Only in Xbot minds they are behind something. The reality is that you are going to play games in 30 frames per second in 1080p for the rest of 10 years with mid or low quality.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OnionPowder

American readers: This is launching at $650.

@2 LOL please don’t compare the hardware inside the Xbox One to the 780. This thing is around 4 times as powerful as the reference Xbox One specs and it’s just a placeholder card for the Maxwell generation launching next year. Not only that it’s still not as fast as the TITAN card (although a much better price).

@1 The prices should go down soon, that price is the Nvidia board price, once we get other manufacturers on board we’ll get some drops in price. Although with a 7970GHz you get 4 free games as well for less than $500.

#5 1 year ago
  6. CyberMarco

I’ll wait till the 8xx is released so I can grab it for around 200€ from EVGA.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Erthazus

^ I recommend to go with GIGABYTE. They are more expensive, but they are more reliable.

I’m going to wait for 800 series too. :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

I have always gone with MSi I had had 3 generation of card through them and they have never failed me plus they have excellent cooling.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OnionPowder

@7 Love GIGABYTE, I’m using the 990FXA-UD5 MOBO and 2 560ti’s from them :D.

Can’t wait for the 8xx series cards. Seems like the logical time to upgrade because of the integrated ARM CPUs on the GPU.

#9 1 year ago
  10. roadkill

@8 +1

#10 1 year ago
  11. CyberMarco

@Erth, well I built my PC with an EVGA GTX 470 in late 2010, and upgraded to an EVGA GTX 480 in early 2012 for like 180€. EVGA is great, has great support and 10 years warranty.

#11 1 year ago
  12. nollie4545

Guys, if you possibly can, wait for the 800 series, with the project Denver CPU on it. I have a 680 and I’m going to wait for the 880. Nvidia currently have no competition and they are charging the earth for the 700 series.

I can fully recommend EVGA and Gigabyte, cheaper than Asus but with equal warranty. Though I actually buy Palit cards these days.

The 990FX is a monster AMD platform. Whack a piledriver 8350 in there and watch her fly. I had a 1100T in mine, clocked to to about 4.2ghz IIRC.

#12 1 year ago
  13. fearmonkey

I like Gigabyte and Evga, but EVGA has it for the warranty!
    I had an Asus 8800 that died and had to buy a new card, so a great warranty is now important to me. I owned a EVGA 260 and a 480 and they are great cards.

the 780 isnt a real generation different is it, it’s still kepler right?
    like a 580 over a 480, same generation of chip just improved a bit?

#13 1 year ago
  14. monkeygourmet

I’m currently looking at this card to build my rig:

Can anyone give me any idea on performance? Wanted to pair it with an i7 and 16gb ram ideally.

I really wanna max things out at 1080p for a long while, metro 2033 etc… Playing through steam big window in my TV. Will this card and that spec be worthwhile?

#14 1 year ago
  15. nollie4545

My 680 generally runs Metro 2033 around 40-50fps with everything on, although it can drop down to below 30 when there are lots of light sources.

Whether you need an I7 for gaming is debatable. I blew all the money I could on my rig on an i7 3820, but plenty of people game with an i5. You’ll have to go ivybridge now as sandybridge processors are basically sold out.

Get the best motherboard and RAM you can afford and for that graphics card you will want a good 600W PSU minimum, probably 750 to be safe if you want to o/c.

Can fully recommend Asus motherboards, I won’t buy anything else. The Sabertooth Z77 etc would be a fine card.

#15 1 year ago
  16. monkeygourmet

Thanks nollie.

Haven’t done PC stuff for ages, it’s all changed! Do you think it’s worth going for a 4gb 680, would it make and difference? And 32gb ram instead of 16, what is a good make for ram?

Is this a good motherboard for the gtx 680?

#16 1 year ago
  17. fearmonkey

@monkey – thats a beast of a card, trust me, you would be happy with it.

I have a I7 3820, 16Gb ram, and a Ati 7870 in a Alienware system and it plays just about everything at 2560×1440 on my 27inch monitor and looks amazing. there are very few games I cannot max out. The Witcher 2 is probably the game it has the most trouble doing playable framerates at that high res with maxed out settings, 95% of games work just fine.

That 680 is faster than my card so you will be flying!

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

Thanks dude! Am looking to take the plunge next month, all going well! :)

#18 1 year ago
  19. fearmonkey

@monkey and @nollie4545 – For gaming, an I5 is actually just as good as an I7, but for everything else the I7 is better. Even the most intensive game has never brought up my CPU usage tio more than 35 to 40 % if that.

#19 1 year ago
  20. fearmonkey

@monkey – thats a nice mobo – but pricey.
    Gigabyte makes great boards, I have never had an issue with them. I have had Asus boards die but only after years of use.

Unless you have money to burn, go for 16GB, i havent played a game yet that needs anything close to that, most games use less than 8GB.

On the 4GB card, if its not much more, why not. If it is, then i wouldnt worry about it. Most games arent using that much texture memory yet, but could start thanks to the new consoles and their 8 GB’s.

#20 1 year ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Gonna have to dash in a minute, but thanks for the advice! :)

If you fancy doing a bit of window shopping, feel free to post any good amazon links (uk) for a 680 rig with an i7 and 16gb!

So far I have:

But ideally wanted to get it to around 800 if poss…

That’s with an i5 but ideally I wanted a i7, can I get a cheaper mobo that will do the job?

#21 1 year ago
  22. TheWulf

Uh. Are you a bit touched in the head? You can graphically match an XBox One with a single 4xx card, you can match a PS4 with two linked 4xx cards or a good 5xx card. What we’re seeing here with the 780 is stuff you won’t see in consoles for the next for or five decades. That’s the way it was with the 360 and PS3, and that’s the way it remained.

I am amused by the delusions, though.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Digital Bamboo

@22 Could I borrow your crystal ball sometime? I’m very curious to see what consoles are around in four or five decades, let alone what the games will look like.

#23 1 year ago
  24. edifice

I currently have a reference HD 7970 and just wondered if people thought the upgrade to the GTX 780 was in fact an upgrade that’s worth the difference in price? I have 3770K OC’d to 4.5ghz, 16gb RAM and game at 1920 x 1080.

#24 1 year ago