GameStop posts quarterly decline, shrugs off Microsoft’s evasive stance on used games

Thursday, 23rd May 2013 20:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GameStop has reported its quarterly results for the period ending May 4, with total revenues down 6.8% year-over-year to $1.87 billion, noting declines in both hardware sales and new software. Profits came in at $54.6 million, down 25% year-over-year.

While the firm reported growth in its mobile and digital divisions, the “late stage effects” of the current console cycle caused new hardware sales to fall 30.6% year-over-year to $241.8 million, and new software to decline 3.8% to $703.2 million. The firm also noted a decline in used sales of 7.5% to $572.6 million.

Mobile sales were up 290% to $46.8 million, and digital sales grew 47.3%.

The earnings release was followed by a call to investors, in which the firm’s president Tony Bartel said he expects current consoles to continue selling for the next two years.

CEO J. Paul Raines commented on Microsoft’s evasive stance on how Xbox One will support used games, and while Bartel reiterated that Microsoft said it will “support it,” Raines said: “We’ve got to let Microsoft take the lead.”

Raines also said that GameStop’s PowerUp members have 24 million older model consoles in their homes, and the hardware combined with the software they own is worth $1 billion in trade credits.

“The amount of trade currency is far bigger than anyone’s marketing budget,” said Raines. “If [Microsoft and Sony] support it, we can activate it.”

GameStop, like the rest of the industry and gamers alike, expect Microsoft and Sony both to reveal more on PS4, Xbox One and how the firm’s plan to factor in used games during E3.

Get more through the GI International links above.

1. Francis O

It’s funny man. People on this site and on the internet bash Nintendo for being for casuals, and they are taking the industry in a different path, yet it’s Nintendo sticking to all the things core gamers like.

Backward compatibility
    Used Games
    Free Online
    Focus on Games, not TV bullshit
    Wii Remote, Wii Pro Controller support on Wii U
    Classic Virtual Console games
    Affordable price

And Microsoft is for core gamers?! Their glorified TV box that plays games as a secondary feature. Paying for used games, Always online bullshit, paying for Xbox Live even though I already pay for internet? Sports and First person shooters out the ass? This is what core gamers wanted?

Microsoft can go F*ck off man. I don’t want to hear anybody say the Wii U is for casuals anymore. Microsoft is clearly the casual company here. They want to bleed gamers dry with all their TV and apps crap.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Phoenixblight

Forgetting they have little to no support from 3rd party which is a major component of moving units for a console. I enjoy Nintendo games but I am not going to pick up a 300$ device to wait 6 months to a year to play Nintendo’s IP especially since only a handful of them I care for.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

They have enough 3rd party support. Will they get everything? No the Wii U won’t but you can pick up games like Batman Arkham Origins, Assassin’s Creed 4, Resident Evil Revelations, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Deus EX Human Revolution Directors Cut, Lego City Undercover, ZombiU, Scribblnauts Unmasked, Splinter Cell Blacklist, and Watch Dogs on Wii U

Plus you get all of Nintendo’s first party games.

“300$ device to wait 6 months to a year to play Nintendo’s IP”

You’re exaggerating a bit there are’t you?
    A new 3D Mario, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Game and Wario, Sonic Lost World, Mario Kart, Zelda Wind Waker HD, are all slated for this year with Game and Wario launching next month and Pikmin in July.

If you combine Nintendo’s first party offerings with the 3rd party games I listed above, I think there is plenty to play on Wii U this year.

But that’s fine, buy a Xbox One and get raped with TV, always online, and Xbox Live fees all you want. I’ll get a PS4 and Wii U.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Phoenixblight

I am talking purely of my experience with the Wii. I had it and I sold it the first year because the lack of games. I only care for Zelda, Smash bro, Mario Kart all the other games I don’t care for before you say it I was able to easily borrow a friend’s Wii U(which was collecting dust) to play their games(Super Mario, Zombie U, NintendoLand) and my opinion of Nintendo is confirmed.

I am not going to get in an argument about what Nintendo is or is not but for me I am not their audience. When the system is 150$ I will probably get and probably by then they will have a catalog of games I may want to play. Nintendo has yet to prove anything for me with the Wii U and with the lack of 3rd support they aren’t persuading me.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

@Phoenixblight
    You will have to forgive Francis as he is Nintendo official guardian angel living in a cloud full of Nintendo :D Cause hes trying to convince us the Wii U has enough third party support: I don’t know about the games you enjoy the ones I like are as follows GTA, MGS, MOH, Far Cry, Sleeping Dogs, Dynasty Warriors. None of them have made it to Wii U until that happens i won’t take the plunge and also missing games like FIFA, COD, Destiny, Diablo and Battlefield, say want you want about those games/publishers but they sell massive numbers and have an audience ready to buy.

@Francis
    Nintendo Is still king of the casual crown, MS is runner up :D

#5 1 year ago
  6. Joe Musashi

“You’re exaggerating a bit there are’t you?”

Oh, the irony.

JM

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

@Joe+Francis

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

“I don’t know about the games you enjoy the ones I like are as follows GTA, MGS, MOH, Sleeping Dogs, Dynasty Warriors. ”

Pretty much the same way and thats generally why I haven’t picked up the system because the lack of those type of games.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

@Phoenixblight
    Theres also some first party games that is on my wishlist like Killzone, Infamous, Uncharted, GT And The Last Of Us, i suppose diversity is also a reason.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Francis O

@ Joe Musahi

What did I exaggerate in my post? Since you say it was ironic.

@Lengendaryboss

#10 1 year ago
  11. Francis O

So I’m guessing everybody here is on board with the Xbox One then, cause that’s what I was originally bashing in the first place. Always online, no used games, paying for Xbox Live. These are all good things for the industry? LOL MS is a causal company that cares more about TV than gaming.

POS Xbox One is going to sell one system in Japan.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Phoenixblight

“And you guys might be surprised to hear that MGS 5 is coming to Wii U. But hey, don’t take my word for it, wait till E3.”

We won’t take your word for especially since nothing of the sort has been said about MGS5 since the last announcement.

“If all the third party games you mentioned were on Wii U, would you buy a Wii U to play those games, or would you just play them on the PS3 you already own?”

Yes I did the same when I had the 360. I bought games that were co-op friendly and games my friends played on that system.

THere are games that would persuade me to get the Wii U such as Watch Dogs, GTA V because of that controller if it was utilized of course.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

@10 – Why would we buy a new system to play games that are already coming to a system we own? Especially when things like trophies/achievements and a dedicated online community are not going to be part of any hypothetical Wii U version? The only thing that would sell me on a system are exclusives and the entirety of the announced Wii U lineup that is exclusive that I would be interested in amounts to a grand total of two games.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    If they (Preferably GTA Or MGS) were exclusive i would buy the Wii U in a heart beat no questions asked, although i lost hope on that happening due to the facts about Nintendo. If they were ports i would seriously consider it, hell i would save money for it. If Nintendo had diversity i would consider it. If Nintendo had the same third party support as MS and Sony, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

The difference between Wii U and XboxOne is one is recently announced and one had it feet in the casual zone ever since inception. Also theres a time and place for bashing XboxOne, take Godly Nintendo powers and head to the forums :D Edit: By one i meant each console.

Now i ask you does the truth about Nintendo third party support feel bad or good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gzKAut3sVrw#t=47s

#14 1 year ago
  15. Clupula

@11 – And while I’ll agree that there is very little appealing about the Xbox One, there is also a little system called the PS4 that is looking mighty exciting.

#15 1 year ago
  16. reask

I stopped trading my games in a couple of years ago tbh.
    Fu**ing rip off merchants if you ask me.
    I would rather let my grandchildren enjoy them rather than these guys ripping everyone off.
    I mean who gets the profit?

Gamestop xtravision hmv etc etc.

#16 1 year ago
  17. polygem

@francis: i think you have a point. the wiiu is the last console that is a dedicated machine for a gamer. a true games console and a very good one too. i don´t get that casual argument either.

you cannot fully blame nintendo for not having enough third party support. they do not have enough third party because gaming isn´t so much about the gamer anymore. it is only about how to generate as much cash as possible with the least effort and developing for a unique set up with a gamepad integration and all that is just waaay too much work for third party to bother with, those lazy fucks…nintendo are the most honest of the bunch, they have some of the best ip´s and they are NOT milking them, they are always reinventing them. i can only think of very few nintendo games in the last decade that might smell a little bit like a cash cow: nsmb wiiu and mk as a franchise but these games still are well made games and coopwise nsmb wiiu was one of the most fun games i played in a while. i don´t know why there is so much hate for nintendo, i will never understand it i guess…if you love games, how the hell can you not adore nintendo???

#17 1 year ago
  18. Francis O

Phoenixlbight, I would say most people won’t do that. That’s why ports usually don’t sell as well as the originals, for example Mass Effect 2 sold less than half of the Xbox 360 version.

But hey, I can respect you if you would. I doubt you would do that with the PS4 to Xbox One, unless you want to pay full price for every game. I mean, they don’t allow used games!

Exactly what is so appealing about this TV box? The Wii U and PS4 seem like a much better option to me. $300 is not a lot to spend when Nintendo gives you the value for their games. Like Smash Bros U. That game is going to last for years if not decades. I still play Melee and Brawl.

What about RPGs like Xenoblade 2 and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. I can understand why you are upset with the Wii U 3rd party situation. But it’s not like Nintendo isn’t going to have exclusive Second party titles like the new Sonic game to fill the gaps.

#18 1 year ago
  19. fearmonkey

“So I’m guessing everybody here is on board with the Xbox One then”

No, I would definitely not agree with that, I wanted to be on board, but very unhappy with the direction MS is going.

I wouldn’t compare Nintendo to Xbox, they are both approaching casuals but in completely different ways. Nintendo thinks of itself more like a toy company, Ms thinks of itself more of a entertainment and media company now.

I applaud Nintendo for backward compatibility, used games, etc. However, I think most of us on here would prefer Nintendo to have made a box comparable to the other next gen systems, and not a slightly improved current console tech. I think thats the real sticking point, more than anything.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Francis O

Legendaryboss…..I never said anything about exclusive. You said the Wii U doesn’t have 3rd party games like the POS Metal of Honor and Sleeping dogs. So then I asked you would you purchase a Wii U if they had those games.

Answer the question man! This is why I want to debate you live. You fucking side step to much it’s crazy. I never asked you if MGS 5 was exclusive would you buy the Wii U.

What I’m trying to get at is this. You will not buy a Wii U even if it did have more third party support. Because you like Sony’s first party games more than Nintendo’s. You’re just using 3rd party support as a scapegoat for saying you don’t like Nintendo games.

But whatever, I wish you would man up and debate me face to face, instead of being a VG247 Keyboard warrior.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Phoenixblight

I don’t plan on getting the Xbone. It has nothing to offer me and MS exclusives have always been lacking assuming of course that EA and MS aren’t becoming partners but so far that is not the case most of EAs games will be going on both systems.

“And what about games like Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101? Those aren’t worth your attention?”

Didn’t care for Bayonetta. And all the other games you mention do not interest me. I have fell out of interest with jrpgs and their artistic style.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

I was having a discussion the other night, actually, about how both Nintendo and Microsoft seem out of touch with what I want, but in completely different ways. Sony get it. They aren’t doing the shifty business practices that Microsoft are, they have first party titles that appeal to me enough that they are a positive factor in my decision over which system to get next, and they have a great deal of third party support. I know that I will never, once I get a PS4, which will probably not be for another 2 years or so, have to sit around with nothing to play.

Neither of the Wii U games I think look interesting even have so much as a release date or gameplay screens. Meanwhile, there’s about a dozen PS3 games just before the year’s over that I’m looking at. I imagine that will continue with the PS4.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Clupula

And for the particular titles that have been mentioned, I do not like Smash Brothers games. I am one of those people who don’t consider it a real fighting game franchise. In fact, that was one of my biggest disappointments about Playstation All-Stars. I thought that had they gone for a more traditional Street Fighter-esque type game, it would have appealed more to the PS3 crowd. Ended up never buying it after playing the BETA.

Wonderful 101 is probably the first Platinum title that doesn’t appeal to me. It just doesn’t seem interesting. Bayonetta 2, I’ll admit, I would love to play, but not enough to buy a system for if that’s one of only two games I’m interested in. The other being Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei. And Xenoblade’s emulation of FFXII’s awful battle system is enough to make me not want to play any sequel.

#23 1 year ago
  24. polygem

well, i agree with that. sony is really pushing all the right buttons atm and the ps3 and vita are my most played systems right now. a lot of content – lots of stuff to play. very clever, releasing ni no kuni, last of us, beyond now in this fading gen AND having the bioshocks and lara crofts AND the ps+ stuff…this is really clever and i must admit i didn´t expect such smart moves from sony…it´ll lure some gamers back on the good ol´sony train, it worked for me for sure.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Francis O

In other words Clupula…you’re a drone. Ok i get it. BTW Sony might be blocking used games as well. The technology is in the PS4 to do it.

But I will say this. Xenoblade is much better than FFXII, and the battle systems in those two games are different. Xenoblades is much better.

I think people, especially Sony fans on this site don’t want to give any of Nintendo’s games a chance. You just say you don’t like them without even playing them. You right off Mario, Zelda, and Metroid because you think there all the same.

But I can say the same think about Killzone, Resistence, Gran Tursimo, Uncharted, MAG, ect. It just looks like more of the same to me. Shooting games and racing games

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    “If they (Preferably GTA Or MGS) were exclusive I WOULD BUY THE WII U IN A HEARTBEAT NO QUESTIONS ASKED, although i lost hope on that happening due to the facts about Nintendo. If they were ports i would SERIOUSLY CONSIDER IT, hell i would save money for it.” Are we missing out stuff because your missing your reading glasses, Why U no read? :D. You never defined port/exclusive so i gave both. Francis you can say i don’t like Nintendo games all you want even though i stated i love Pokemon (is that not an Nintendo game?), Just because its not something i want to play doesn’t equal hate. i am not using third party support as scapegoat, its true it lacks the games i want. Now im going to be more clear if Nintendo did have better third party support like MS and Sony having the exact same games i listed then i would buy Wii U although there are other factors stopping me and as for me loving Sony games that doesn’t mean a thing, if its what i can play and enjoy great, its down to personal preference.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    You keep missing out games: The Last Guardian, God of War, R&C, Jak And Daxter, Sly Cooper, LBP, Tearaway, MLB, Invizimals, Soul Sacrifice, Wonderbook, Infamous and Singstar. Do not leave out games just to prove a point and think what you say is fact. Thats what i want when i purchase a platform: variety via first and third party.

“But I can say the same think about Killzone, Resistence, Gran Tursimo, Uncharted, MAG” Theres a difference with Sony there are other games to focus on like above a mix of new and old, something very unfamiliar for Nintendo.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Clupula

@25 – And Sony patented the technology to block used games on the PS2 AND the PS3. Yet, they can still play used games. As will the PS4.

As for your list of Sony games, it’s missing quite a few exclusive first party titles. In fact, out of everything you mentioned, the only title I have any interest in is Uncharted.

You didn’t mention Infamous, Heavy Rain, Twisted Metal (which is, admittedly, both shooting AND racing), Beyond, Last of Us, White Knight Chronicles, Demon’s Souls, Littlebigplanet, the Ico games, Siren: Blood Curse, or God of War. Hell, if I wanted to mention franchises I’m not particularly into I could also mention Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper. The point being Sony have THE single most diverse portfolio of first party titles out of the big three. It’s quite hilarious that you choose to only mention titles that fit the genres you don’t like, instead of mentioning their entire catalog of varying ip’s.

I don’t care about Mario. I was sick of Mario back during the SNES/Genesis days. I’ve never played a Zelda except for II on the NES, and it didn’t impress me, but I would check out a title if they ever became third party.

And it is funny that you’d bring up Metroid when that franchise itself had become a FPS in its recent iterations, except for the much-reviled Other M. Is it okay to be a FPS as long as Nintendo are making it? Hmmmmmm?

#28 1 year ago
  29. Clupula

Also, I like how I’m a drone in the same thread where I said that I hated what Sony did with Playstation All-Stars.

I would assume a drone would buy anything a company shit out for them, much like how you do for Nintendo.

Let’s try a fun experiment, Francis. Name for me 5 negative things about the Wii U, IN YOUR OPINION. Notice I said things that are negative to you, not to Nintendo’s detractors. I can name 5 negative things about my favorite systems, because there’s no such thing as a perfect system or company. I’m willing to bet you can’t because you’re so blinded by the Nintendo company line, you can’t even conceive of something that you don’t like about your precious piece of plastic.

As for Xenoblade being better than FFXII…that’s really not hard to do.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Francis O

Legendaryboss

- The Last Gaurdian is not even out.

Sly Cooper had one game on the PS3 in 7 years on the market. LBP is boring, I have the first game. The controls are bad I like more focused plaforming.

I don’t like baseball. What the hell is Invizimals? Is that that Kinect wannabe game where you have some type of animal? Wonderbook? More causal BS, you’re really stretching here.

Singstar? more casual BS.

Nintendo has plenty of IPs I can make a big ass list just like you did.

F-Zero, Star Fox, Kirby, Soma Bringer, Punch Out, Fire Emblem, Wave Race, 1080, Excite Bike, Excite bots, Disaster Day of Crisis, Glory of Hercules, Harmo Knight, Dillons Rolling Western, Pushmo, Crashmo, Fling Smash, Xenoblade, Pandora’s Tower, The Last Story, The Wonderful 101, NintendoLand, Wii Sports, Wii Fit,

And none of those have anything to do with Mario or Zelda. Nintendo has a mix of old and new as well. You just choose to pay attention to what you want.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Clupula

The Last Guardian isn’t out yet?

And Mario and Zelda for the Wii U are?

#31 1 year ago
  32. Francis O

Cluplua you’re a drone, you hating PlayStation All Stars doesn’t change that. And yeah, there is a Mario game on the Wii U right now :) Zelda is confirmed for this year….When was the last time we got any new news on The Last Guardian.

And I can’t name 10 negative things about the PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Wii, or PC.

I can’t even name 10 negative things about that Piece of shit Xbox One. Can we lower the number to 3 or 5?

#32 1 year ago
  33. Clupula

Please do define a drone for me.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Francis O

Drone: Liking Sony, bashing Nintendo sarcastically on comments sections like VG247. Saying that most people played Chrono Trigger on the PS1 when in fact most people played it on Emulation, DS, and Super Nintendo.

The PS one version sold like shit, nobody bought that game or Chrono Cross, that’s why Square killed off the franchise.

Who is man enough to debate me on my YouTube channel? Clupula, you want to? I think it would be good. And it would be fun. Legendaryboss is acting like a Legendarybitch.

Maybe you want to Clupula?

#34 1 year ago
  35. polygem

i wouldn’t call the prime games fps games, they are first person view adventure games

#35 1 year ago
  36. Clupula

@34 – Nope. Already have my own Youtube stuff. http://www.charleslupula.com

No need to promote someone else’s stuff when they’re not particularly friendly with me and I’m not likely to pick up any of their intended audience. I’d happily debate this subject if it was with someone I could promote as being a big showdown or something. Like if you actually were an established name in the gaming community or something. You’re just a random guy on a message board to me and nobody to the general public. There’s nothing to sell. It’d be like me having a debate with a random guy on the subway. No one would care. Or from the opposite view, someone like Brad Pitt debating me. None of his fans would give a shit about me. They’d be all, “Why is he talking to some guy who hasn’t starred in a single movie?”

So, unless there was 1) money involved 2) you had a huge audience that could potentially crossover to mine or 3) I was actually friendly with you, I don’t see any reason for me to do it.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Clupula

@34 – Please do provide me with actual numbers on how many people played the SNES and PS1 versions of Chrono Trigger. Bet you can’t. Squeenix have combined the numbers for the PS1 and SNES versions and just say 3 million. There’s no way for either of us to gauge which one sold more. But I can tell you that JRPG’s on the PS1 definitely sold more than they did on the SNES.

Chrono Cross which was on PS1 and then available again as a digital download on PS3, on the other hand, sold 2 million copies. The DS version of Chrono Trigger sold 800,000. Which is a larger number, Francis?

#37 1 year ago
  38. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    You really need to check out of Nintendo world and come back to reality. Making personal attacks will get you nowhere. Oh dear you really need a playmate or girlfriend if you succumb to begging me and Clupula to debate with a Nintendo loyalist, although lets be realistic it would be more difficult for the girl than the playmate :D just imagine if the girl says “i don’t like Nintendo offerings” The date will be over in less than five minutes :D

#38 1 year ago

7). MS charges you a crazy amount for their hard drives
    8). older models were noisy
    9). Dashboard is confusing for some people
    10). Wifi unit is too expensive
    11). MS stopped caring about exclusives
    12). Xbox L:ve multiplay is too full of bad mouthed kids

and there is a few extras for you… I cant comment on the Wii-u I dont own it, same with PS3, so cmon Francis, you can name at least 10 as well.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Clupula

I also like that your definition of a drone is “liking Sony.”

#40 1 year ago
  41. Clupula

I lowered the list to 5 to make things easier for you, Francis, but I can still list 10 things I don’t like about the PS3. Some drone I am, huh?

1. Lack of backwards compatibility with PS2 discs
    2. lack of first party JRPG’s, other than WKC, when the PS1 and PS2 had a ton of great first party JRPG’s
    3. those stupid tiny, easily strippable screws when you’re trying to change hard drives
    4. YLOD on the older “tank” model PS3′s
    5. inability to use PS2 saves on PS2 classic downloadable titles
    6. the new Playstation Store
    7. the Move pack not coming with a navigation controller
    8. Custom soundtracks not available in all games
    9. Most earlier PS3 titles not patched to receive trophies
    10. No trophies support for PS1 & PS2 classics (even though I do understand why this would be difficult to implement)

So, see, I can list 10 things I don’t like about the system I currently prefer, because I have a balanced and realistic view of gaming.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Francis O

@Clupula, wait you have YouTube? Perfect then. Alright, look I’m sorry. Seriously. You only have 36 subs though. If you debate with me, you’ll get a lot more. Trust me.

Now can we debate?

You’re really negative. I can’t name that many bad things about anything.

Wii U

1. Currently lack of First party games
    2. Too many overpriced ports
    3. Graphics could be better
    4. Third party support is weak at the moment
    5. No Off TV Play or Wii U Gamepad support for Wii games.

#42 1 year ago
  43. monkeygourmet

This thread is hilarious!

Debate at me bro! :D

I’m cracking up reading this, keep it up guys!

#43 1 year ago
  44. Clupula

@42 – I only have 36 subs because I have been posting everything I do in other places, so people don’t have to subscribe. I have videos on there with several hundred views but not everyone subscribes when they know the next video is just going to be on Facebook the second it gets uploaded.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Clupula

@43 – Personally, I was hoping it’d be a challenge to a dance-off.

#45 1 year ago
  46. monkeygourmet

I have a feeling Francis is the kind of guy that would try and fight you after a few beers! :)

#46 1 year ago
  47. Francis O

Dance off? Ok? Which games? MJ the Experience or Dance Central. Lets keep it fun. We’ll have a serious debate, then go into a dance off. It will raise both of our subs!

#47 1 year ago
  48. Francis O

@46 I don’t drink or fight.

I just like a good debate every now and then. Plus it helps my youtube subs :)

#48 1 year ago
  49. ps3fanboy

the best wii-uboat games so far…

Monster Hunter 3