Fire Emblem: Awakening was almost last game in the series, dev reveals

Thursday, 23rd May 2013 12:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Fire Emblem: Awakening co-producer Hitoshi Yamagami has explained that the 3DS smash hit was – at one point – billed to be the last in the series, until it came out and sold very well.

Speaking with Spanish site Hobby Consola, Yamagami said, “Truth be told, sales are dropping. The sales manager of Nintendo, Mr. Hatano, told us that this could be the last Fire Emblem. Due to this progressive descent in sales, they told us that if the sales of this episode stayed below 250,000 copies, we’d stop working on the saga.

“I remember when I came back from the meeting and told the team, ‘My God, what are we gonna do?! The end has come!’ Our reaction was clear: If this was going to be the last Fire Emblem, we had to put everything we always wanted to include.”

Not to worry though fans, Awakening has utterly smashed that target into tiny little pieces, having sold over 400,000 units in Japan alone since June, and a further 240,000 since it launched in America. The UK launch has also proved fruitful.

But still, a new Advance Wars would be nice, right?

Thanks Destructoid.

1. Hirmetrium

Its an amazing contrast – if Square Enix had seen those figures, they would of blamed the western market… Yet it looks like the west has really taken a liking to Fire Emblem. Which is awesome.

2. matirishhh

If something is very good it sells. With the flood of the only decent titles, seeing game like this is a water on the desert.

3. Bomba Luigi

Fire Emblem is one of my most beloved Game-Series, so I’m really happy that is still alive. I hope the Popularity helps to bring old Fire Emblems in the West, 4, 5 and 6 would be lovely. Not Remakes or so, just the Originals with english Translation to VC.

Fan Translations are not that bad, But not Perfect. And its not always that legal playing these stuff on PC, but I really have no Choice when I want to understand what they are talking. And that is really important in FE.

4. Hirmetrium

Well, 7&8 really need to be on the store. Ambassador program be damned.

5. malethief

This game felt like they threw every idea in with the kitchen sink in terms of content. It has lots of characters, dlc and is much more accessible. It’s interesting to know it was on the verge of being a dead franchise. Makes you better appreciate what a developer does with a game series when it could possibly be on the way out.

I did miss the rock, paper, scissors mechanic with the magic like the older titles had just like the weapons still have and I was surprised not to see a fog of war map or two thrown in. Hopefully advance wars for 3DS will fill the gap :)

6. livewired500

Hope Nintendo appreciates what a gem Fire Emblem turned out to be. I bought a 3ds just for this game and I rarely would buy a system for a single game. I’m only about 20 hours into it and love every minute. I would be further but my wife has been playing non-stop for days. She even has been taking the 3ds to work with her so she can play on her lunch break.