Xbox One: a new direction, an honest mission

Wednesday, 22nd May 2013 11:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Xbox’s next generation was shown only as a concept in Seattle yesterday, as the truth of Microsoft’s multi-media intention. Wait for E3 to judge its games component, says Patrick Garratt.

Yesterday was about showing two large pieces of hardware, dropping any pretense that it’s “all about the games,” and saying Microsoft is a company that wants to control living room entertainment.

What do you think?

I’ve been asked that question more than a dozen times since last night. What do I think about Xbox One? What does anybody think? The presentation wasn’t aimed at me in particular because it was apparently aimed at a person in need of everything, and it’s obvious “gamers” are going to be pissed because Xbox One isn’t a video games console. Games are just part of it now.

I’ve seen a huge amount of negativity about Xbox One this morning, as I did instantly after the reveal in Seattle, and, if you’re asking me what I think, I think basing any real opinion about the future of Xbox’s games component on what we saw yesterday is previous. As I said in this video chat with Brenna and Dave earlier, Microsoft’s mission yesterday was to say, “This is what it is.” The original Xbox and Xbox 360 were primarily video games consoles. Xbox One, at least on a concept level, is not. It’s Microsoft in the living room. It’s a media hub. It’s taking Windows 8, and Kinect, and live TV functionality, and games, and DVR, and Skype, and Live, and Bing, and Explorer, and it’s combining it all into an ecosystem that makes sense from the couch. It’s about general media usage, and yesterday’s presentation reflected exactly that. We saw a top-down view of Xbox One’s concept, which is a collage of general services.

Xbox One is going to be expensive, and it’s going to be aimed at an affluent, primarily American consumer. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are different, and they span different markets. The new Microsoft box, in a games sense, will likely be focused on premium “experiences” such as Bungie’s Destiny. PS4 is more open, is more traditional, will almost certainly be cheaper, and is aimed younger. While PS3 and Xbox 360 were so closely aligned they were nigh on indistinguishable in their targeting, this next generation will see the two strategies separate, with “Xbox” attempting to enter the broad, mainstream media market while Sony centres PlayStation on games. From here on, Xbox and PlayStation are in different worlds. They are not doing the same thing.

This is true to the extent that 360 peripherals won’t even work with Xbox One. Xbox 360 is old Xbox, and old Xbox is being dumped. None of your 360 games will work with the new box. Your current XBLA library will only work on 360. Xbox One is a completely new direction for Xbox as a video games brand, one that has captured millions of people with Friends lists and GamerScore and is now revealing true intentions and breaking for the general audience. Xbox 360 started as pure games and became saturated with media apps over time, much to the chagrin of an increasingly disenfranchised core. The dishonesty evaporated yesterday. Xbox One is the truth of Microsoft’s ambition. There’s no ulterior motive. This is it.

What surprises me is that certain quarters are throwing their arms up in shock. What did anybody expect it to be? Answer this question with complete honesty: what did you expect? Did you turn up expecting 720, the ultimate core gaming device? Did you expect Microsoft’s entertainment strategy for the entire home to kick off with a pretend spaceman shooting an alien in the balls and everyone screaming “fuck” at 4K resolution? Did you expect insight into how Xbox is going to embrace bedroom development and fight for small-scale creativity? Did you expect the next-gen Xbox message to be about you?

Microsoft’s E3 will show the games. Yesterday was about Xbox as a general entertainment brand, about Microsoft being honest about its designs on the general entertainment market. It was about showing two large pieces of hardware, dropping any pretense that it’s “all about the games,” and saying Microsoft, as a company, wants to control living room entertainment. It was about sticking a finger up to Apple. It was about binning 360 and going for gold.

What do I think? I think you’ll be able to play Call of Duty on Xbox One just fine. As for the rest of it, ask me after LA.

1. Mus42

Nice article! :)

2. RandomTiger

“yesterday is previous.”

Should be pointless?

3. Gheritt White

Xbot! ;)

4. redwood

oh man

5. RandomTiger

“Did you expect Microsoft’s entertainment strategy for the entire home to kick off with a pretend spaceman shooting an alien in the balls and everyone screaming “fuck” at 4K resolution?”

LOL

If the choice between XBox 1 and PS4 is still as distinct after E3 it will be fascinating to see which wins.

Thankfully the indie scene on the PC looks so strong I can just retreat there if MS and Sony don’t offer me what I want. I’m still hopeful Sony gets it and will deliver the goods.

6. CyberMarco

“Xbox One is going to be expensive, and it’s going to be aimed at an affluent, primarily American consumer. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are different, and they span different markets.”

Microsoft is aiming in the mainstream market even more than ever. I could be the next winner, but not in the “gaming console territory” but in a all-in-one multimedia/gaming box. E3 will make things more clear…

7. Samoan Spider

Good read, and reflects what I’ve been thinking today. Wait and see. Both companies have to tip their hand in a couple of weeks so lets see what they do. I reckon what’s pushed their overall ‘nature-of-the-beast’ decision is a huge amount of consumer data showing how much Netflix we all watch and with the original Xbox (not Xbox one apparently any more) after modding it, the only thing I ever did was install and use XBMC :P

8. Bomba Luigi

It really is what we had to expect, thats right. And that is kinda sad, I liked the First Xbox very much, and the 360 too for the first Years, and then MS really was going more and more in a Direction where Games are not that Important.

Thats Fine, they can do what they want. But I have no Use for that, all these New Miracle Stuff Xbox One brings, like Watching TV – I already can do that. So why in the World should I need that Box? I can play CoD and Fifa somwhere else, so why do I need that Box? Just one or two interessting Exclusiv Titel are really not enough, and I wonder if they can even deliver 2 who get my Attention.

Selling me Xbox one is like selling Air Conditioner to Eskimos.

9. daytripper

Nice article Pat

Off topic: Did anyone read Major Nelsons blog yesterday? Man the comment sections were brutal to say the least. They need a great E3

10. Erthazus

but then a question really. If it is an entertainment center… why you need 8 gigs? 8 core processor and videocard if games are just a part of it?

for example latest Intel processors are great for multimedia functionality.

I just don’t see the reason on why you should sell an entertainment box with hardware that is suited for games console.

11. DrDamn

Nice article. What will be interesting is whether this new target market will be willing to pay a yearly sub for accessing stuff they already pay for. Gamers were in their droves because Live provided an exceptional online experience. Will the new market understand that in the same way? This is of course assuming the media functionality, Explorer etc is all still behind the gold sub.

12. viralshag

Greatly article. And spot on. People kicking off yesterday seemed like the usual gamer reaction to anything different.

13. DrDamn

Because it still has to compete with other games systems. It’s still an alternative to a more dedicated machine. It needs to be in the same ballpark.

14. raftos

I was expecting the 720, “the ultimate core gaming device”. But it was just myself trying not to see the reality :(

15. Razor

Even though I wasn’t expecting an onslaught of games, the game segment was appalling.

Though yeah, we just have to wait for E3. I’m sure MS have more. At least I hope.

16. daytripper

@12 So what mate? Sometimes people say things in anger or disappointment. I thought it was a piss poor reveal but hopefully E3 will show it in a better light.

17. viralshag

@10, does everyone that builds a gaming PC ONLY use it for games? I don’t think so…

@16, because I genuinely don’t think there was anything to get angry about. They showed the machine for what it is, a media hub and a games machine. Sure we didn’t see many games but people really were acting like they came on stage and said “by the way, there’s no games for this one! Sorry lads!”

We KNOW they have a fair few games in the works and E3 is where we’ll hear about them. At least wait 20 days to see whAt they have for us gamers before claiming “gaming died with the Xboxo”.

18. heroes159

Nice article Pat. NO XBOX ONE for me.
    PC is good enough for me.

I Have Steam, Origin installed & its free.
    No Subscriptions & blah blah other fucking stuffs
    I can buy cheap AAA games for like 4.9$ & 7.5$
    I can use a Controller if i want with my PC.
    I can use a 40 inch TV if i want with my PC.
    Better Graphics.
    Indie games.

SO why the fuck i need this goddamn XBOX anymore.

19. absolutezero

Who is talking about this right now?

Gamers.

Who would be the first adopters of this machine?

Gamers!

Who is not talking about Xbox One?

Everyone else.

20. fihar

That is exactly the point.
    Why would you showcase these kinds of stuff on your first console reveal where the only people watching would be, using your word, “gamers”?
    We all knew the direction the Xbox brand is heading, but is it absolutely necessary to flaunt it this way?
    Why not showcase your games first and then focusing on your multimedia features along the way when the news of a new console has already reached the general public, the intended market with the XB1?
    This is simply bad marketing, and with all the negative hype already surrounding them, they need to do something big at E3.

The reveal reeks of wrong place wrong time to me. It feels like Microsoft is more intent on making a statement rather than showcasing the XB1 itself.

21. absolutezero

So if the new Xbox is a multimedia device with games being one facet of an over all proposition will that mean the games press will stop reporting about it?

There are alot of games available on other devices that simply don’t get any press because of what they are running on. Much like Smart TVs actually. Or that Bee game that used to be on Sky.

Yeah did’nt think so, what did I expect? Well after all the endless rumour news posts and hype from the gaming press I expected some fuck cunting video games.

Can you imagine the difference it would have made if they had gone with the game direction? I mean seriously announce half of those new games, get the developers out of stage to present them create real base level interest and good will and that will pass onto the mainstream. Not announce a conference to gaming fans and then completely black wall them. Its so fucking backwards.

22. Kalain

Isn’t this what we’ve seen being built up to over the last Generation of consoles?

Isn’t this the next step forward where the console isn’t a console anymore but a Media Hub/Entertainment device that can be used for more than just games?

Haven’t several people on here and on other websites said that this generation is going to be the last ‘Console’ Generation? Looks like MS has moved it forward. It’s last console generation was the 360, now it’s moved into the Entertainment Device generation, which, in my opinion, is a much bigger, riskier, step than Sony has done with the PS4. If this pays off for MS, providing they can get TV stations around the globe on board, then I think MS will come out on top.

Both side will be scrabble to catch up with each other, but I’m pretty sure you’re going to start seeing Sony come up with similar ideas within a few years as they try to get an even larger slice of the pie.

This is a good step forward whilst Sony has stood still. But, I think we should see how it performs in the home/The Joke of E3 before we really should make up our minds..

23. orakaa

“It was about Microsoft being honest”

Are you friggin’ serious? They were absolutely NOT honest about their intentions, pricing and especially about the whole “mandatory Internet connection” and blocking of used games.
    They knew those questions were being raised on almost every article or gaming forum reactions and they purposely avoided those during the conference (hence why no mainstream media talks about this). They HAD to be asked by journalists in order to get (unclear and contradictory) answers.

They even lied when saying “oh always-on Internet connection is not mandatory…… *lowers voice*… just once every 24 hours” (so it IS mandatory).
    “Used games? Of course we won’t block used games…….. *lowers voice*… you will only have to pay the full retail price to use them” (so used games are INDEED blocked)

24. mojo

the biggest question after yesterday is for me: Is this still a console?
    I dont realy think so..

not the focus group anymore.

25. orakaa

And what did gamers expect from an Xbox reveal? This is a VIDEO GAME website you are writing on, did you forget? I could (barely) understand your point on a mainstream website, but HERE?

Xbox 1 and Xbox 360 were VIDEO GAMES consoles.
    What could people expect from a new car reveal from Ford? Hmmmm…. a friggin’ car! Not a car that could be used as a fridge.
    Of course people were expecting a game-oriented console, at least a little bit

26. absolutezero

So “DEAL WITH IT” bloke was right after all. Good to know that we are seen with such derision.

Video games lol.

27. DrDamn

“providing they can get TV stations around the globe on board”

This is the crux of the matter globally. If you cede some ground on the games performance for this it can’t just be a US Box. The TV stuff is confirmed for just the US at launch, when will there be support in Europe and how extensive will it be? They can try and get deals with Virgin and Sky in the UK for example, but will they be happy losing their front end to MS?

Maybe they will attempt a deal to be the new V+/Sky+ box fullstop. That would be interesting particularly from a cost of entry perspective.

28. redwood

on vg247 there is always a “deal with it” article after shit hits the fan

29. redwood

on a side note.. did anyone listen to peter molyneux at ign after the reveal? he made some really good points.

30. Beta

The main audience yesterday was probably comprised of gamers.

They should have focused more on the gaming aspect, but they didn’t and that was a mistake. Now they have one more chance to try and win over the gamers at E3.

31. Kalain

I agree with you completely. For us in the UK, they might strike up a deal with Sky/Virgin to allow the software to go through their channels but the XBox One customer will still have to pay them a subscription fee. After all, their businesses are designed around contracts and TV Services.

If the subscriber already has Sky/Virgin, just allow them access to the channels for no extra cost or maybe a £5 extra per month. I’m pretty sure that would be cheaper than paying the £10 for another box somewhere else in the house.

Would you buy an XBox One if MS had agreements with Sky/Virgin in place? I’m pretty sure I would seriously consider it if I was after a new console…..

32. Kieran

its going to a hard mission to win back fans they have to pay for online & pay now for second hand games !!! its a tough mountain to climb for them like every1 is saying microsoft are becoming money grabbers

33. Beta

Personally there was nothing in that reveal that made me say “Wow! I need one of those!”

I have virgin media so I’m not bothered with Live TV, I don’t see myself ever using voice or motion control. I’m not interested in sports etc.

I’ll need to be seriously impressed at E3 to buy one at launch. But Microsoft has been heading in this direction for a long time now so I’m not at all surprised.

34. mistermogul

My Wii U is looking a little more appealing this morning!

35. reask

Decent article Pat and fair enough if you think that,s the way its going.

Funny thing is I remember getting my 360 as a present for Xmas from my wife.
    I obviously knew I was getting it and coming from the PS2 I was pretty wary what this thing would be like.
    I mean Sony were the man full stop but PS3 I think may either have just released or was due out.

I hooked it up and got it wired to the net and played a few pre installed games and thought OK not bad and happy enough.

I then downloaded the fear demo and played it and was blown away with the AI and graphics and went down next day and bought it.(turned out to be just an OK game in the end.)

Anyway to cut a long story I became a fan or an xbot if you like and never looked back for a good few years.

Then I bought the PS3 when it hit 299 Euro I think.
    I thought OK not bad and played it on and off with 360 still been my favorite console.

Thing is in the last 2 years now I hardly play my 360 and spend all my time on the 3.
    Games just seemed to dry up on the 360.

I then thought they were pumping it in to this thing but maybe not it seems.

Maybe us guys dont matter enough anymore and fair play to them and the best of luck to them but I doubt I will be on board.

36. reask

Just another thing.
    I actually kept thinking since launch that this could be the Wiiu,s savior.

MS concentrate on the cods and casuals and ninty start catering for the gamer with a decent enough spec console.

Stranger things have happened.

37. DrDamn

“Why would you showcase these kinds of stuff on your first console reveal”

Because it’s not a console.

38. G1GAHURTZ

What surprises me is that certain quarters are throwing their arms up in shock. What did anybody expect it to be? Answer this question with complete honesty: what did you expect?… …Did you expect the next-gen Xbox message to be about you?

I have no idea how you can be surprised, Pat.

I think you’re missing something here. I expected it to be a reveal of a games console. Didn’t you? I expected it to be something to play games on. Didn’t you?

What sane person buys a games console to watch Wheel of Fortune or The Price is Right, or whatever show popped up during the reveal?

No one.

You can do it with a free cable box or Freeview functionality built into your TV.

I don’t even own a TV, so most of what they said was of absolutely zero value to me.

They didn’t show a single, not one, clip of any in-game footage.

Not even one second.

That’s like unveiling a car and spending a one hour press conference talking about the entertainment system and the built in rear view camera, while saying absolutely nothing about the engine or how it drives.

I waited all this time to see a game, to get an idea of how the thing compares to the PS4, and all I get is “TV… TV…, TV…”

How can you be surprised at the people’s reaction to being invited to a barbeque with no food??

Just the smell of food, and a TV!

No, I think that whichever MS exec thought that this was a good idea knows nothing about games, gamers, or even who they want to sell this thing to, because I can almost guarantee you that there were next to no people who watched that disaster of a show who only wanted to see people talking about TV features.

39. Belmont

The point of Microsoft is clear. It is Xbox One Vs Apple TV !
    My point is that Micro is letting gaming slip out of its focus for the hope of dominating the living room. They will probably get neither. With Windows 8 they wanted to bring PC and tablet and ARM and X86 together on one system. Windows 8 is poor on every platform !

40. Gheritt White

@ #20 & #21: Spot on lads – nail on the flipping head. So nice to see others state why this was bad from any kind of PR angle.

41. DrDamn

But look at mainstream reporting, collated reaction from other websites on the BBC for example …

Now run through those quotes and look at the websites they got info from and count the gaming websites. 0. Nada. None. It’s all general tech sites and it’s mainly very positive.

NB: I’m not condoning this, just bringing in what is actually happening in mainstream press. The PR is good there.

42. Belmont

Absolutely ! I wasn’t watching the reveal of a new tablet or another Galaxy smartphone.

Yet mainstream don’t have to buy Xbox to have any of the TV stuff. It is on every other device too. Those devices may not be as elaborate as X1 right now,yet they will become with a software update and mainstream don’t buy the console on the launch day.

I think it will be like always, PS4 takes Europe and most of Japan. The rest of Japan goes for Nintendo and X1 takes the US. fair enough !

Edit:
    “It was about sticking a finger up to Apple”

Good luck with that !

43. Logion

I expected them to try to beat Sony’s conference that they had in February. They should have waited for E3. What was the point of announcing it now?

44. Belmont

They couldn’t resist showing us all the TV oriented features. As well as 3 Operation systems.

45. monkeygourmet

Oh, an honest reveal, of course.

Doesn’t mean it’s any less shitty.

The big problem for me is:

I have 360…

I have Kinect…

I have the apps (Netflix, iPlayer, Bing) on 360…

I have Smartglass on iPad…

Now, what MS showed us yesterday can all be down on the regular set-up. Not as fast maybe, but I still don’t believe Kinect 2.0 will be flawless in operation.

These features were all in operation on the old hardware if you wanted them, also, the PS4 can do most of this stuff too…

Quick swapping was okay, but seriously, how fucking lazy are we getting now? Big fat fucks, slobbing around on the couch watching Jersey Shore then instant switching to FIFA…

Even if you do want these features, it’s pretty much possible on the old hardware you have.

We NEEDED to see games. We KNEW this was MS’s direction, they have been telling us for the last xxx years at E3…

They needed the most powerful system out there IMO. That would have made people like me put up with some of the shitty media and TV focus.

Was a big mistake hiding the spec’s, made them look scared of Sony in that respect. Nintendo didn’t talk about spec’s because it was a weak system, are they doing the same thing?

If they reveal that the GPU / CPU is kick ass at E3, then I may forgive them a little, if not then it was all a clusterfuck IMO.

If it’s cheaper than PS4, then it could work… But if it’s MORE expensive as Pat mentioned in the article, well, that would take the biscuit!

46. Beta

Did anyone hear about this. Made me chuckle. ;)

47. Ireland Michael

It’s a giant piece of self obsessed crap aimed at buttfucking as much money out of the consumer as humanely possible, instead of trying to treat them with even the slightly degree of respect and fairness. It’s a middle finger to ownership and good will between the seller and the buyer.

Microsoft can go fuck themselves.

48. OlderGamer

Pretty much what Ghz said.

I think a company should bend to the market, I don’t think it is realistic to expect the market to bend to you. If all of these TV features where on the back end of a kick ass game system, things would have gone much better for MS. But as a main feature, one that was promoted at a show filled with gamers that expected games…was a very bad idea.

Sure we will know more at E3. But that doesn’t mean that MS didn’t drop the ball and missed out on an opertunity last night. I bet Sony folks are dancing still this am.

49. allftw

No matter what games they reveal at E3, I highly doubt it will change my opinion of the console. It is very simple really Xbox One is an entertainment console while PS4 is a gaming console as it has always been. And if I want to buy a gaming console I will obviously go with Sony’s.

After all whatever games they both reveal in the future any gamer knows that there is very little chance of Xbox having the upper hands on exclusives. The last two gens have proven it and I doubt it will change now. On top of that I will be able to play at least half of those exclusives on my PC some time after their initial release. The same cannot be said for PS4′s games.

As far as their hardwares go Xbox One’s is not superior to PS4′s. PS4′s online sharing features seem to be much better than Xbox One’s. I still have to pay to use Xbox Live while Sony offers many amazing games both old and new every single week with PS Plus for a price much lower than that. On top of all this I have always vastly preferred PS exclusives over Xbox ones. It is very obivous to me who will get my money in the end.

Seriously though what is an entertainment console anyway? Watching movies, listening to music, using the internet? I can already do those things on my PS3 and they’re not of much use anyway. So what’s left? Is it all about the TV for Xbox One? Most people won’t even be able to benefit from that feature anyway. And for the ones who can, it seems like a rather unnecessary feature anyway. Who needs an extra system to do what you already can?

I don’T know what MS was thinking with this console. It is a very large risk they took with it and I can hardly see them succeeding. As someone who bought two X360′s (ring of death) I must say that Sony seems to be in for their most profitable investment ever with the next gen of gaming.

50. ps3fanboy

…and suddenly out of nowhere like a miracle the wii-utanic turned into the wii-uboat.

51. salarta

I expected XBox One to emphasize multimedia rather than just video games, but I didn’t expect it to be about everything except video games. I also didn’t expect a lot of the gimmicks of the device being so superfluous for such a device (e.g. Snap sounds like a great idea for a PC, but a terrible one for a “living room media hub”), I didn’t expect Microsoft to try to be everything people already have in one package for a more expensive price tag, and I didn’t expect Microsoft to be stupid enough to have built-in restrictions (voice activation only, need to be online once per day, anti-used games policy, the potential privacy concerns of an always-on Kinect) that actively cut a lot of consumers out of the picture.

Microsoft is trying to make XBox One into a media hub, and their game plan for making that happen is to get people to pay for what they already have, modified to include features they never asked for and won’t help them at all, now with tons of restrictions on what they’re allowed to do or even if they can use it at all! Their base premise is a good idea, but technology very obviously isn’t at a stage that’s ready for such an all-in-one box. They don’t even have any kind of killer app with the power to sway sales. PS2 had one by virtue of having a DVD player built in and being cheap enough for people to get when other DVD players cost too much. XBox One doesn’t have that.

52. ps3fanboy

mickey$oft and their tvbox are done, ninty are back from the doom and long live the wii-uboat!

53. reask

Did I miss the online bit once a day requirement?
    So what about family hols and that?

54. stretch215

Nice article. Lol at people saying this will somehow “sink” microsoft. This box will sell like hotcakes (at least here in america). The games don’t even have to look as good as ps4, they will market the shit out of it and it will explode. As for me, once a day online authentication = ps4 first (unless sony does the same). Edit: I think it’s wise to wait for e3 before making any assumptions or decisions regarding the amount of games or the policies for either brand.

55. polygem

i´ve said what i think of this in several comment sections on this page already. i absolutely agree a lot with this article but i have one thing to add. yes, maybe the games will be decent and we should all wait and see how those turn out to be, still, i think it´s save to say already: it´ll be a mistake to buy a product like this. as a gamer. as a statement.

56. Beta

I won’t delude myself for a second that this will sink Microsoft. They will bombard our tv screens with marketing and COD and this will fly off the shelves. Based on what I’ve seen so far, it simply won’t be flying towards me.

The only thing that would hold them back is pricing. That’s something marketing can’t solve.

57. mistermogul

@ 52 – lol, the Wii-uboat!

btw I have had an Xbox 1 for quite a while now…

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945353_538239689548651_1832089413_n.jpg [thanks ign]

58. stretch215

@55 this device is not aimed at the “gamer” (as stated in the above article). It is aimed at a market that doesn’t care about your “statement”. It is aimed at people who see gaming (and technology in general) as a hobby, not a lifestyle. And believe me, no matter how many passionate “gamers” protest online, it will sell. I will eventually buy this machine because I LIKE the multimedia capabilities (among other things) and it will most likely have awesome games. I may get the ps4 first, but I’m planning on getting one of these as well.

59. stretch215

@56 very true. Pricing is crucial for them. I guess we’ll know soon enough.

60. polygem

@58: i am not saying it wont sell, it´s not aimed at the gamer, i get that, totally. i even give kudos to ms for making that very clear with their reveal and not trying to disguise it as a dedicated gaming machine. all i am saying is, as a gamer, as someone who thinks gaming is more than just entertainment to kill some time with, you shouldn´t buy it and make a tiny little statement like that.

61. laughing-gravy

@54 Sell like hot cakes! That’s wishful thinking, it’s a confused mess that doesn’t know what it wants to be. As for it being a “cool” device have you seen it. It looks like a 1980′s VCR. Your right it will sell in America, to people who have a robust internet connection at least. But don’t expect it to sell anywhere else. PS: what are you doing posting on a UK gaming blog? Not paid by MSoft are you?

62. laughing-gravy

This is an obvious apologist article. They showed me nothing at that conference that gives me hope for it as gaming device. The graphics on the few games that they did show looked about on a par with what PS3 is doing now. Just look at the Last of us and GT6, they compared well to COD Ghosts and Forza 5.

63. Bomba Luigi

Cod really don’t look impressiv:

But CoD never did, and it dosn’t matter anyway. Its Cod, its sells like shit.

64. stretch215

@61 yes, you can read, congrats. Also, people post to this site from all over the world. You must be new here. @60 I get what you’re saying, I just feel that people have this illusory sense of entitlement. Microsoft have not “wronged” anyone. They are going in the direction that they deem most profitable. They are chasing the $, that is their purpose. That is any corporations purpose.

65. Christopher Jack

Well frankly, if they can’t attract the most enthusiastic, I think they’ll also have a hard time attracting the mainstream too. I mean just look at the more causaul cod and FIFA gamers, I’d say a large majority of them ended up with chosen console because some of their more enthusiastic early adopter friends encouraged them.

66. Solist

What I find amusing is people being so averse to the new Xbox being *more than* just a video game console. It (as does the PS4) has the best specs we have seen yet in a console device, the hardware is there, there is zero question on that. There is no arguing that games on the console (and the PS4) are going to be amazing in a graphic fidelity, AI, physics, etc. perspective.

Microsoft as a corporation is creating a vision that goes beyond the traditional core gamer, and that should be totally ok. Why not? You can still play amazing games on the device, just as you’ll be able to do so on the PS4. Is the inclusion of extra services and other features a deterrence from you being able to play and enjoy Watch Dogs/AC4/CoD/etc. in all its glory? Absolutely not.

If you do not want to take advantage of new features, so be it…but to call the console a failure or the loser in the “console wars” is premature, naive and juvenile. MS is simply looking at the next decade and putting their device in a position to serve as many homes and customers as they can, be it the core gamer, casual and the non-gamer.

It’s amusing how people feel slighted at the inclusion of additional features, your games will still be awesome – don’t worry. Microsoft may have their own studios, and putting out 15 first party games in a 12 month span is pretty f’n amazing. Remember though, they also just make the device…there are countless more studios out there who will be producing nothing but amazing game content for us all to enjoy for many years to come.

The coming of Xbox One doesn’t mean that all of a sudden ceases to exist or is any less of a experience on one console or the other.

I’m not a Xbox fanboy by any means, I own both consoles and have my reasons for using one over the other in a number of factors. I play both reguarly and have my own reasons for why I’ll play a multi-platform release on one vs the other. So before the impending fanboy comments come in…there’s that.

As Patrick said I think MS did a good job yesterday of just saying here’s the device and look at some of the stuff it can do. There’s no way to answer every possible question or scenario, for a product reveal it served its purpose and did it well from a marketing perspective. We only have to wait a couple weeks now for E3 to see what us as core gamers get…patience.

67. stretch215

@66+100. Be careful around here, using reason like that.

68. Christopher Jack

@66, The issue here is that they appear to be neglecting the core while chasing the mainstream. I don’t think anyone has an issue with a gaming console with advanced multimedia functions but right now they’ve given us, the core gamers being the most likely to follow the reveal, the bad impression that it’s going to be an expensive septop box with some gaming features- may as well get a PC.

This appears to be an issue going all throughout MS at the moment, they’re chasing the crowd with the wrong tactics, they really need to sit back and think who their consumers are and what we really want most. For example, we don’t want an entire new menu eclipsing our screen in place of a small start menu on windows 8 for our desktops & for the majority- our notebooks too. I’ve personally adapted quickly to it but I still prefer the start button.

69. laughing-gravy

@64 Didn’t provide a compelling argument did you?

70. Solist

@67 Indeed. No worries I am wearing a flame-retardant suit while typing. :)

@68 But again, the core isn’t really being neglected, is it? The hardware speaks to that. No multimedia device needs the graphic and processing power provided by the console. Those specs are there to enable the game developer/studio to deliver high-end gaming experiences. The multimedia pieces use a fraction of that processing power…it’s not there simply for show.

Yesterday was meant as a preliminary reveal, it was an intentional strategy to time this news a few weeks before E3 when the main focus is going to be on the games we so desperately want to hear about.

People forget the PS4 reveal, what did they show besides a few tech demos and minutes of gameplay? Remember the hoohah about the “social aspects” and how much vitrol that drew? Does that truly show what the PS4 can do? No, they held back just as much as MS did. The benefit of MS waiting until now was that the gap in time between the reveal and E3 is much smaller. They got the word out, here is the device and some cool stuff that’s coming.

This strategy enables Microsoft to say, Now hang on core gamer and wait for E3 (arguably the gaming publics show of the year to get our info on what’s next) and see just what we have in store for you from first party (MS) and all the stuff other’s are going to do.

I have a PC in my gaming room too, but that doesn’t mean it’s somehow better than the console gaming experience. Xbox One and PS4 will still be better for true console gaming in my perspective at least. Your comment of it being an expensive set-top box with some gaming features speaks to the blinders people have on about these reveals – no matter what extra features are baked in…it’s still a game console and great games are going to be released on both platforms.

71. Christopher Jack

@70, For a reveal that mostly the core were going to watch, I’d say so far yes, they are neglecting the core gamer. Things can and will change but I personally think this was a terrible start & clearly the majority of the core feel the same. And with the knowledge on how many restrictions there are on the damn thing, I think MS have an uphill battle. Especially after choosing the stupid name of One- they’re just begging to confuse the mainstream with that name, worst than the Wii U IMO.

72. laughing-gravy

@63 The games that sell the most are never the same from one generation to another. PS2/Xbox era was all about GTA, but PS3/360 COD outsold it. I want to see something new to get me interested. Not last gen but with more poly’s.

73. viralshag

@68, what makes you think core and mainstream are completely different audiences? I like both core and mainstream games. I like using Netflix as much as playing a game like Dragons Dogma.

I think the problem is more with gamers thinking there is some great divide or that there needs to be some great distinction between a gaming console and an all in one media console.

74. Christopher Jack

@73, There is a divide but its quickly becoming smaller. However I think it remains pretty easy to tell the difference for the moment being. Someone who has several games, regularly visits gaming sites, maybe reads gaming mags, I’d consider these the core. Those that never visit these sites, only owns a few mainstream games, they’re quite easily depitected as a casual gamer.

75. Bomba Luigi

I don’t like the Xbox1 from what I hear until now. Because there will be no good Games? No.

1. Kinect. It has to be Connected or the Box don’t work. Don’t want a Camera supervising me in my Home. Its a Big Brother Nightmare.

2. 24H not online and you can’t play anything. Even Steam works offline for as long as I or my Internet Connection want.

3. And the Strange Used Game thing. Confusing stuff, don’t really understand it now, but that MS can’t say clear whats going on its a very bad Sign.

Look, its not a bad Device. Its not Bad if someone likes it, but its just normal that some People think its Terrible, because it is from some Point of View. Depending on what you want and what is Important for you. And if Xbox one is a hugh Success, it can have a influence on the Gaming Industrie that I don’t want. Its already in a bad shape, I want it to become better.

76. stretch215

@69 compelling argument to what? See my previous post, youknow, the one you replied to? Any possible “argument” you have is answered there. Except for your juvenile vcr “joke”, which is corny. You even seconded my post : “Your right it will sell in America, to people who have a robust internet connection at least. But don’t expect it to sell anywhere else. ” lol, looks like you have a terrible memory, or you’re smoking that good shit. Can I have some?

77. Lengendaryboss

We are fine with Video Game Consoles being more than just a gaming centre, but the problem is as a games console we expected MS to show much more game announcements not focusing on multimedia entertainment so heavily give it 15 minutes not an hour. Look it at this way if there was a multimedia entertainment console and it focuses heavily on games people will complain.

Overall PS4 and Xbox720 are game consoles first and foremost, you won’t be seeing music publishers announce exclusives for one console. I am not sure if that make sense or not. But why anyone buy these game consoles if they weren’t intending on gaming.

78. laughing-gravy

@76 You yanks really don’t get irony do you. I didn’t second your post it was sarcasm but you don’t get that over there either. I implied that it will exclude anyone in USA without an internet connection due to the fact that it has to connect to the net once every day. Try to keep up!

79. wolverstreets

80. Beta

@79 Even if they were they wouldn’t directly acknowledge it. They’ve always struck me as a bit arrogant.

81. fearmonkey

I am afraid that EA and Activision have dictated to MS and Sony that these anti-consumer game code/activation scheme must be in place for support. EA dropped their project $10 as it’s not needed now. Sony has been really quiet on this and I would love someone to directly ask them the question and not give any wiggle room. Sony saying “it can play used games” doesn’t mean it wont have a similar system, and the first patents we saw about it were from Sony.

If MS and Sony turn the Xbox’s into a Steam like service but without the awesome sales, why would I need one when I have a PC? I have always loved the ability of buying a game and letting a friend try it and if he likes it, he buys it and we can play it together. So many multiplayer games have been purchased by me and my friends this way.

I am not surprised that MS did this but I am disappointed. MS is on a roll, Windows phone, Windows 8 phone, Zune, Surface, Windows 8, all have had negative or limited reception. The Xbox One is designed like these devices, and seems far away from the original Xbox or the Xbox 360 at launch. The best most impressive games at E3 isnt going to make me buy a Xbox one if I am unhappy with the device.

I hope Sony doesnt go a similar route but I am afraid they will, and for the first time in a very long time, I wont be supporting a new console at launch, and maybe for the generation. I have a great PC, I can live without a console. At the launch of the original Xbox and the 360, My PC wasnt as good, not so for this generation.

82. IrrationalGamer

So honest that they’ve purposely tried to obscure (read: lie) about what the truth is regarding the functionality of the system. I really hope people don’t buy into it. Sony is supporting gamers with high-quality gaming content. I’m looking forward to a piece of that fruition appearing in the form of The Last of Us next month.

Just say no to corporate douche-ism.

83. ManuOtaku

I agree to some extent with the article and i do also agree with most of everyboy opinions but iam seeing this with a very different eyes, especially because i see a microsoft more commited to games with this console than the last two years with the xbox 360.

Yes it is tv focus and media, but i think this time they aiming the balacen between this and games, why i do believe this, because of th 15 exclusive titles to arrive in the first year and 8 of them being new ips exclusives, in the last years we can count the microsoft exclusives at best two per year with halo gears fable in between, but now in the first year we will have those and more. This indicates me that they will try to balance things out this generation, even if right now doesnt seem that way for so many people, but the signs are there IMHO.

As a gamer i buy consoles for their exclusives and also to have the best possible iteration of a multiplatform game, the other things like neftlix, tv , media i dont care, but i dont mind having them on the console either, as long as it has games, and for what i see yesterday it will.

84. monkeygourmet

We all know you are waiting for your big bonus Manu! ;)

85. ManuOtaku

#84 dont say it out loud please, right now i just received my nintendo bonus for being part of the nintendo defence force, and was a good one, now iam just waiting for phil message ;)

86. manamana

“… Microsoft, as a company, wants to control living room entertainment. It was about sticking a finger up to Apple.”

Only that noone needs a big black bar under their telly for yelled voice commands and funny gestures. Apple has already covered many livingrooms with iOS in various sized hands. And in the end – noone will control the living room entertainment! Everything is fragmented because so many gadgets are around. And people love gadgets!

What is it that game/software companies think they must build THE “entertainment center”? It began in the 90s with the CD-i and every console focusing on too many entertainment aspects failed ever since. Give the gamers a games console! Oh, you can’t? Too many advertising and monetizing conglomerations must be formed and aligned against those dumb gamers, who can barely move with their fat asses, isn’t it?

No money from me for you.

87. monkeygourmet

:D

88. bandolero49

Well i think MS made a huge mistake by bringing a universal control to the gaming industry i lost the respect that i had for him. Is defenitely a ps4 for me besides the always on line,no games and the worst paying to play used games what a joke and it may sell well who knows but not me. The funny thing is pleople still has hope for this clown unreal

89. viralshag

“I hope MS is paying attention to the vast amount of negativity their system is generating.”

Yeah, because the angry rumblings of the hardcore video game nerds has always been an accurate representation of the gaming market and audience…