Xbox 720 reveal event will showcase IllumiRoom tech – rumour

Monday, 20th May 2013 15:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft will unveil its IllumiRoom projection technology as part of tomorrow night’s Xbox 720 reveal event in Redmond, according to tech blogger Paul Thurrott.

Gamespot reports that Thurrott has tipped IllumiRoom to make an appearance at the show, and that plans for a cheaper, subscription-based Xbox 720 model have been scrapped.

Here’s an IllumiRoom concept video care of GamesHQMedia:

Come tomorrow, we’ll know more. Meanwhile be sure to bookmark our Xbox 720 livestream page for the big event as it happens 6pm GMT / 10am local time. You won’t want to miss it.

Thanks Gamespot.

1. salarta

Aaaaand this still looks bad. Even if the wall was completely bare and white, this would look bad. The image from the TV compared to what gets thrown up on the wall is too jarringly different, it’s like you’re trying to look at two different screens of completely different brightness at the same time. It might work without the TV, but at that point you’re basically buying a projector, which has never really taken off as a preference over a TV due to issues with light dispersal.

It’s increasingly looking like Microsoft is going to lose this console generation, even if their attempted emphasis is on TV shows and films rather than games.

#1 11 months ago
  2. ps3fanboy

mickey$oft kill it now, before its to late or you may be joining doomtendo and its wii-utanic… just saying.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Pytox

too distracting when playing smth
    too much of a gimmick actually

#3 11 months ago
  4. polygem

not feeling this

#4 11 months ago
  5. The_Red

@1-4
    Really don’t understand you guys. Yes, this is a gimmick but it’s a sweet one. If next Xbox is sold solely on this premise, yes, that would be dumb but on its own? I don’t know. I kinda like the reactive snow and shot ripple effects.

#5 11 months ago
  6. viralshag

@5, I’m with you. I don’t really see how this would be distracting.

#6 11 months ago
  7. DrDamn

I think it could help quite a lot with immersion. I do wonder how well it will work in less than ideal conditions, but I’m not going to dismiss it without at least experiencing it.

#7 11 months ago
  8. viralshag

@7, You’re not going to dismiss it without trying it!?!?

And you call yourself a gamer…

#8 11 months ago
  9. Fin

I think this is a great idea, but I’m concerned about having to fork out for a projector along with a 720 to use it. Hmmm.

#9 11 months ago
  10. DrDamn

As a add-on it has the advantage of simply being an “enhancement” to games, not a requirement. So it’s something they can sell on to people at a later date. It doesn’t need to be packed in like they feel they need to do with Kinect.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Djoenz

This is freaking awesome tech and very nifty. This is what true 3d is imo.
    Sony should have this too :(

Amazing stuff imo.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Fin

Oh, yeah, course. I mean like, it looks awesome and I want to play it, but don’t want to pay for it and a 720 ;)

#12 11 months ago
  13. Samoan Spider

As a geek I fucking love the idea. I don’t know how anyone could write something off without giving it a shot. I’m not likely to fly straight into it without thought and I’d have to see more, maybe physically in motion before my eyes, but I’d buy that. I have quite an uncluttered front room and light walls/furniture so it should work well for me. And as #10 says, it’s not forced on you so it’s either buy it, or don’t.

#13 11 months ago
  14. polygem

well, i will try to check it out as well if i can but atm i am not really feeling it. i am playing dark souls at the moment. when i play it, i am totally into that gaming world and that´s not because of some fancy lights but because of some fancy gamedesign…i have no problem with this tech though. i think for racers it could be awesome, with the lights effects and all. i doubt that i will be using this stuff though. i just want to turn on my telly and my console, put on my headphones and play a good game. i also do not want to drive my dog insane :)

#14 11 months ago
  15. Gekidami

#15 11 months ago
  16. zinc

Projector tech that only works effectively in a pitch black room, with flat features and furniture.

Awesome.

#16 11 months ago
  17. The_Red

That could be a problem. Using this feature in any game is gonna cost time and money. If the cost of projector plus 720 drive too many people away from the former (Projector), publishers will simply stop adding IllumiRoom features in their games (Which are only useful for a single console).

#17 11 months ago
  18. NiceFellow

Just a bad idea from gaming perspective – if you want immersion Oculus Rift if the way it’s going to go.

This is more like hanging up a glitter ball going by all the videos shown so far.

Seems useless in your average room. I mean sure it has a certain gimmicky charm – the star-field effect for example – but that’s what this is so far as I can see : a gimmick.

#18 11 months ago
  19. salarta

@5: I don’t see how this would be at all worth any price they could put out for it short of about $20 or less. Maybe your eyes and brain work differently from mine, but actually trying to use this thing seems like it would be at best a meaningless and superfluous extra that is quickly ignored by the senses being so keenly focused on the TV screen/monitor, and at worst an annoying distraction that does more to hurt your experience than improve it. In a game, are you really going to find it easier to notice an enemy shooting at you from one of the sides when the enemy’s form is so light it’s hard to see, and possibly distorted by whatever else is in your room? That’s not covering when action in films moves off the screen, or the “decoration” aspects.

This MIGHT be considered a halfway decent first step toward the idea of enhancing immersion, but realistically getting an Oculus Rift when it comes out would be the far better option if your goal is better immersion. You may have to wear some potentially cumbersome (though what we’ve heard so far suggests that won’t be the case) device on your head that could cost more money, but it’s better than hardly being able to see anything.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Reddpayn

This has some cool features but it just looks like a gimmick. It could become better if they would develop it for a couple of years more from now

#20 11 months ago