Ghost Recon Online Wii U still “on hold” despite commitment to the console

Saturday, 18 May 2013 15:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft has stated that the Wii U version of Ghost Recon Online is still “on hold” as the team’s focus remains on the PC version. However, this doesn’t mean Ubisoft is committed to Nintendo’s Wii U console.

According to a tweet posted in response to a question on Twitter, and noticed by Nintedo Life, the official account for the game stated the following:

“The WiiU version of the game is currently on hold while we focus on developing the PC version.”

Back in September 2012, the game’s producer, Theo Sanders, stated the Wii U version had been put on hold for the reason stated above, and said should the team “have an opportunity to address” the Wii U version again in the future, it would release an announcement on the matter.

Ghost Recon Online for Wii U was announced during E3 2011, and its absence during E3 2012 sparked rumors that the sku had been canned, a rumor Tony Key, Ubisoft’s SVP of sales and marketing, dismissed stating the development focus was on PC first.

“That was always the plan,” he said.

While the game may still be on hold for Wii U as Ubisoft focuses on getting the PC version perfect, unlike recent statements from EA regarding its commitment to the console, Ubisoft has faith in it, stating it takes time for new hardware to establish itself on the market.

“As with any new console, it takes some time to grow an established base,” a representative from Ubisoft told GI International. “Ubisoft has a varied and high-quality line-up for Wii U, with more big titles on the way including Rayman Legends, Watch Dogs, Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag and Splinter Cell Blacklist.

“We’re confident that this will help in continuing to attract gamers to the Wii U system and that Nintendo will take steps to ensure that the Wii U is successful in the market.”