Yakuza 1 & 2 HD will be released on Wii U in Japan

Friday, 17th May 2013 17:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Yakuza 1 & 2 HD will be released on Wii U in Japan with Wii U-specific features, including off-TV play, Nintendo announced during its Nintendo Direct broadcast for the region. A western release was not announced, so it’s unknown whether it will head this way or not. Thanks, Siliconera.

1. Lengendaryboss

Yukuza rarely comes out abroad, now if Nintendo were to make that happen…….

#1 11 months ago
  2. Francis O

I’ve heard it’s going to be a eShop only release in the West.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Clupula

Honestly, if this results in both this AND the PS3 version being released in the States, I’ll be happy.

If this does get released here, without the PS3 version, I guess it’ll give Sega another excuse to keep the series from us again, as I doubt a Wii U only release would sell any more than the PS2 Yakuza 2 did, and that was what doomed it in the first place here.

Obviously, a Wii U version won’t sell what Yakuza 3 did over here.

#3 11 months ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Love me some Yakuza! :)

#4 11 months ago
  5. Francis O

Who cares about sales, can’t we just worry about getting the game? Sheesshhh, freaking internet Michael Pachter Jr’s

#5 11 months ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    “Who cares about sales?” The publisher, what kind of stupid question is that and if it doesn’t meet expectations then they will most likely pull an EA and drop support. This will most likely won’t meet expectations but the Sonic titles will.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Dragon246

@LB, Clupula,
    Didn’t every Yakuza game came in the west except PSP ones? I assume 5 will come soon too. They contain lot of stuff to translate, so I wouldn’t blame them that much for delays.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Joe Musashi

Yes, all the console Yakuza games have a western release.

@5 “Sheesshhh, freaking internet Michael Pachter Jr’s”

A truly odd remark given your many wonky sermons on industry economics.

JM

#8 11 months ago
  9. Francis O

@Legendaryboss

Are you or anybody else commenting on this board a publisher? No didn’t think so ….Alright then.

We need to see if the game is even coming here first as FANS, before we start discussing sales.

And EA dropped support over Origin not being included on the Wii U. Don’t start that ‘sales not meeting expectations’ bullshit when EA sabotaged their own games on Wii U. Announce Mass Effect Trilogy on PS3 and Xbox 360 days Before Mass Effect 3 comes on Wii U for the same price. Maddden 13 getting a shoddy port without the Infinity Engine. FIFA 13 didn’t get the new engine as well.

And multiple sites sourcing EA and Nintendo having a falling out over Origin not being on the Wii U.

And if you want to know exactly what went on between EA and Nintendo read this.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

@9 “Are you or anybody else commenting on this board a publisher?”

Are you? The logic you apply to dismiss views of others is equally applicable to your own.

I note that all three of your links are tagged RUMOUR. It’s rather disingenuous to be dismissing views of others for not being an official source and then presenting counterpoints based on rumour yourself. At least those links had the honesty to declare them as rumours rather than assert they tell “exactly what went on”.

Given that these games have already been localised for the western market I would expect them to get a western release. This may bode well for those waiting on a western release of last year’s PS3 Yakuza 1+2 HD too.

Superb games. Anyone pining for Shenmue should play them.

JM

#10 11 months ago
  11. Clupula

Actually one of the PS3 Yakuza games did not make it to the states. Kenzan, the Feudal Japan-set kinda prequel/retelling did not get localized.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Clupula

@10 – It’s okay, though, because HIS rumors support his opinion, so they must be true. The others disagree with him, so they’re obviously just speculation.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Francis O

“And why berate “freaking internet Michael Pachter Jr’s” only to launch into freaking internet Michael Pachter Jr mode yourself? Which of your statements do you expect people to take seriously when you contradict yourself like that?”

Please tell me how I went into Pachter mode? And wtf are you talking about I didn’t contract myself. I would have had to make a prediction to do that, which I didn’t.

- I said EA botched their own Wii U games based on them being inferior ports and missing features…..

Is that what Michael Pachter does? Cause I’m sure he does sales analysis and predictions. I did nothing of the sorts.

And those rumors are true. Where there is smoke there is fire. Something happened business wise between EA and Nintendo. And it happened well before the slow sales of the Wii U.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Joe Musashi

And those rumors are true.

You’ve just given me my moment of zen.

JM

#14 11 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    I am not a publisher nor am i with one, what i said was common sense, a phrase which your not familiar with. If a platform is not profitable for a publisher they will eventually drop support, If Nintendo did block Origin (I say if because the links clearly state rumour), its their fault no EA games is coming to Wii U although as others have rightly said, you know what read it for yourself.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Clupula

@15 – Now, now, let’s be gentle with Francis. It gives him a sad to face the reality of Nintendo’s thirty sales.

If we persist in trying to pop his bubble of fiction, he might start making unkind jokes about us again. What were those about? I can’t remember. Francis, can you remind us?

#16 11 months ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

@Clupula
    Don’t poke the bear :D
    @Francis
    I will find a comprise with you Nintendo did a good job partnering with Sega And Capcom for various exclusive titles for Nintendo platforms.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Francis O

You can have moment joe… what happened between EA and Nintendo was a botched deal over origin…

I really dont care about EA, i got a ps3 and 360xbox with a PS4 paid in full and i still wont buy there crap. EA sucks and im glad nintendo didnt allow the piece of shit thats origin be integrated as the wii u’s main eshop.

Nintendo loses ea, but gains Sega. Ill take that. I enjoyed sonic 4 and generations.

#18 11 months ago
  19. fihar

Am I the only who thinks that this is getting worse?

Anyway, just remember that even if Yakuza 1+2 HD somehow made it out of Japan, we may still have to suffer those awkward English dub in Yakuza 1.
    So, be careful what you wish for.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Joe Musashi

@18 – Whatever happened has been rumoured. You’ve proved that these are rumours yourself. Asserting rumour is fact doesn’t make it so.

What you have categorically not done is presented anything that is proved to be verifiable fact. You’ve leapfrogged that rather important part and have insisted multiple times that you will take a rumour that suits your personal view as fact and trade blows with anything – such as common sense and logic – that conflicts with it.

For someone who frequently enters threads seeking to correct ‘people without a clue’ who ‘don’t know what they’re talking about’ and demand facts and evidence, you really don’t seem to care for them very much.

If you have some verifiable, factual information on the topic, by all means, share it with us so we can all benefit and understand.

Oh, in reference to #9, you never told us if you were a publisher. Rumour has it you’re not. Awkward.

JM

#20 11 months ago
  21. Christopher Jack

Umm, EA not making games for Wii U is a combination of many thing but I assure you it’s unlikely to have ANYTHING to do with Origin. Firstly the sales of the Wii U itself are poor, secondly sales of EA’s games on the Wii U to date (no matter the reasons) have been poor too, thirdly the Wii U specs barely match this gen- why would EA bother developing their engines to run on something that A- requires more effort due to its limited specs & B- has an incredibly small install base? There’s no benefits for them to make their games on the Wii U, regardless of what a handful of angry internet users speculate.

#21 11 months ago