Final Fantasy 8: HD port announced for PC, first screens inside

Friday, 17th May 2013 12:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 8 is getting the HD treatment on PC, developer Square-Enix has confirmed. THe studio has released two images showing its new lick of paint.

Kotaku reports that the new edition has been slated for a Japan-only release at the moment but could be announced for the West in due time.

Two images have been released so far. Here’s an image of Squall in the doctor’s ward, and another of a battle scene.

Would you pick up the PC port if it heads west? Let us know below.

1. CyberMarco

No PS3/Vita love? :(

#1 1 year ago
  2. Takeshi

I guess just kind of a re-release like Final Fantasy VII on PC. Ridiculous to call it a HD port though.

#2 1 year ago
  3. unacomn

VIII? Nooo! What’d it have to be one of the crappy ones.

How bout porting IX to the PC?

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

Gonna say something really controversial: FF8 is the best FF. (At least to me. I love it more than FF6, FF7 and FF10).

#4 1 year ago
  5. deathm00n

@4 I’m with you! It is my favorite and my first Final Fantasy

#5 1 year ago
  6. Mjorh

It’d be great ! been a long time since i’ve played JRPG !

#6 1 year ago
  7. Deacon

@4 VII wins on sheer epic-ness, but I have to agree – VIII is the best overall.

#7 1 year ago
  8. zinc

@4,5, I’m glad I’m not the only one :-D

Oh how I remember drawing Death spells from some fish monster, getting them to 100, attaching them to my gunblade & killing T-Rex’s with one hit in the Seed garden :-)

#8 1 year ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

Among the best Final Fantasy – absolutely! So exciting. I’m definitely in full agreement with all those appreciating this huge adventure! Would I pick it up? YES. In. A. Heartbeat!

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

Definitely my favourite FF. I’ll get this for sure.

#10 1 year ago
  11. joshua nash

Just give me FFIX & FFX in HD on PS3 and I”ll be happy, I know FFX is coming in HD but i really want FFIX

#11 1 year ago
  12. EmptySkin

still trying to recoup losses from FF XIII, huh?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Deacon

@12 – check the figures mate. The XIII saga has sold well.

I hate that people assume they tanked just because they didn’t enjoy them personally or failed to grasp the intricacies of the battle system…

#13 1 year ago
  14. Juice_Man101

Agreed. People let their hate get in the way of facts.

#14 1 year ago
  15. dizzygear

VIII was my first Final Fantasy. I really enjoyed it at the time but these days i just cant stand random encounters anymore. I’ll have to pass on this.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Ireland Michael

VIII had a fun enough battle system (especially once you realised there were ways around having to draw spells over and over and over again), but the comments were obscenely exploitable, and the story was utter garbage.

#16 1 year ago
  17. NeoSquall

I can’t actually do it because of severe back pain, but you can picture me doing a silly dance right now.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Demiath

This article omits the obvious reason why the “HD” version will be on PC; Square Enix is simply upgrading the old PC version of FFVIII (yes, there was one) as they did with FFVII less than a year ago.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Eddie Rodrigues

I don’t see “HD” either, but if bonus content arrive then I am happy :3

#19 1 year ago
  20. Da Man

^That person wants me banned…

#20 1 year ago
  21. macronia

that is very good news . i am kinda looking to play any final fantasy .. never played any actually . the only JRPG i am playing is chaos rings on my S3 :D . hopefully i see also Final Fantasy XIII on PC :) .

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dinasis

@18: Yes, indeed there was. FFVIII was my first Final Fantasy game and the first in the series I’d ever heard of. I thought it was a PC series because I first found out about it from a demo I got with an issue of Computer Games Magazine. Still have my original PC version with its folding cardstock case with the admittedly nice artwork.

Having Leviathan in the training area against the T-Rex in that demo is what sold me on FFVIII. Then I found out about FFVII from watching a friend’s step-father playing it on the PS1. I had a good run with FFVIII, but in the end, I prefer FFVII.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Rosseu

Almost bought this last week for the vita. I’ll wait and see if this “HD” makes it to vita first

#23 1 year ago
  24. Joe_Gamer

Suckered me into the latest FF7 PC release, what a DRM laden pile of shit that was so….no I wont be buying any more PC ports from square. I had to sign in like it was some kind of fucking MMO? Fucking Squaresoft…

#24 1 year ago
  25. Richenbaum

first world problems…

#25 1 year ago
  26. Ireland Michael

@23 It won’t. It’s just a slightly higher resolution version of the old PC release of the game.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Rosseu

so much for “HD” then

#27 1 year ago
  28. Vice

Leave this not even an HD shit to yourself, Square. Why not port some decent game to PC? Oh wait, you don’t have any…

#28 1 year ago