Cliffhanger Productions has released new details regarding the upcoming release of Jagged Alliance Online on Steam, following a serious overhaul of the free-to-play multiplayer title which grants you access to everything right from the get go.
In an unusual strategy, Cliffhanger has elected to make all PvP content available to all players at launch. You will still need to earn virtual currency to collect the more than 40 mercenaries and over 500 items, and you’ll be able to buy them via micro-transaction if you just can’t wait, but the point is: there will be no items restricted to paying customers only.
“Jagged Alliance is all about superior tactics (and big guns, of course), so that means providing every player with a chance of winning based on tactical choices, and not any outside factors such as paid items,” creative director Jan Wagner said.
“The PvP part is also what makes us stand out from all the Jagged Alliance games, I believe, since no matter how good an AI is, in the end, the true challenge is another player. I am glad we could finally do the game the way we wanted.”
That said, there is some content behind a paywall – an optional single-player campaign which you’ll have to pony up for.
Here’s a couple of facts from the press blast:
- PvP Features:
– Build your company from 40+ mercenaries with unique attributes.
– 500+ weapons and items, and crafting to improve your weapons and armor.
– PvP leaderboards, skill-based matchmaking, and tournaments.
– Compete in Warzone events for rare weapons and items.
– Form alliances with players and compete as a team.
– Transfer of PvP rewards into the single-player campaign.
- Campaign Pack Features:
– 80+ PvE missions with over 100 hours of gameplay.
– 50+ unique enemies and bosses.
– Complete challenges to earn Prestige.
– Take on Prestige contracts for even greater challenges and ultra-rare items.
– Use your PvE company in PvP matches.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.