Ubisoft: 1666 suspended, two new titles in 2013

Wednesday, 15 May 2013 18:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft announced today during its call to investors that it has suspended development of 1666, one of the projects it picked during the THQ Auction in January. According to the firm’s CEO, Ubisoft couldn’t “align its vision on development and team management” with Patrice Désilets.

Yves Guillemot said the firm had two months worth of discussions with Desilets on the projects, which ended the intended “collaboration,” and thus 1666 has been suspended for an “undisclosed period of time.”

“After more than two months of discussion with [Désilets], we couldn’t align our vision both on project development and team management, so consequently our collaboration has ended. We have suspended development on 1666 for an undisclosed time,” said Guillemot during the call (thanks, GI International).

Désilets was fired from the firm earlier this month, and according to Superannuation, Désilets’s contract specifies that IP rights revert to him should the game become cancelled. This was similar to the contract Guillermo Del Toro had with THQ with inSANE.

Super states that Ubisoft “indefinitely suspending production” on 1666 is “a way for them to cancel the game without giving back the IP rights” per the contract. Now, take that for what it is considering we haven’t seen the THQ contract ourselves. Not that we think he’s fibbing, just we can’t confirm it at this moment.

Elsewhere in the call, Guillemot said the firm has two unannounced projects in the works and one is a new IP. Both will be part of its current fiscal year line-up, as noted in its financial report, including Splinter Cell: Black List, Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag, and Watch Dogs.