Tomodachi Collection: Nintendo patching out same-sex marriage – rumour

Monday, 13th May 2013 16:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Tomodachi Collection users have found that they can allow two male characters to tie the knot, but the feature doesn’t work with two female characters. As such, it seems Nintendo is now patching out same sex marriage in full.

Nintendo Life quite rightly marked this one as rumour as it’s based on a Google-Translated blog post over at Nintendo’s Japanese blog. So please do take this with a grain of salt for now.

Here’s a grab:

Note the line about human relationships. Nintendo Life also suggests that the same-sex marriages for males could be unintentional, and that Nintendo is now keen to remove the feature as a result. Either way, the feature has seen new gamers flock to the game, so it will be unfortunate if they’re then unable to do as they please.

We’ll have more on this one as it plays out.

1. The_Red

Yeah, instead of adding the female-female marriage via a simple update, let’s remove it all together for all sexes. While I do understand that this is more of a bug that is being fixed, I can’t help but feel that Nintendo is mostly doing this because of the subject matter and how it might reflect on its “family friendly” image.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Fin

Yerrr, tea needs to be banned for that.

Don’t care if he’s trolling, I’ve had enough.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Kidbuu42

It’s a glitch in a game that needs to be fixed. It probably causes more problems with the code than you realize. It’s not really about same sex marrige or any other social issues. Also, we now know theevilaires is a homophobe

#3 11 months ago
  4. Sylrissa

#3 Agreed, that kind of blatant hate shouldn’t be acceptable here.

#4 If it’s a legitimate bug that is truly causing problems with the code, then by all means, i’m okay with them fixing it.

Why can’t they just find out a offical way to enable it later on?.

#4 11 months ago
  5. zinc

I do like the way Tea can only bottle-up the stupid for so long :-P

#5 11 months ago
  6. dreamcastnews

@7 that’s your opinion and I for one, think you have every right to express it. Why should he be banned for simply saying something he doesn’t like?

If he was being homophobic, he’d be saying some shit like ‘burn the lesbians’ or some slur like that, he isn’t so those who have a problem with members expressing a view, get the fuck over yourselves and stop contributing to this stupid nanny society we live in today.

#6 11 months ago
  7. The_Red

I do agree that he is entitled to his opinion BUT he didn’t just say he doesn’t like lesbians or doesn’t care or disagrees with their beliefs. He said and I quote:

“No one gives a shit about you ugly ass broads. Wow you don’t need penis in your life (which is B$) and you know what you both like cause you’re females. Congradufuckingalations no one cares about you pushing gay right statement because 90% of you are forced to be gay because theres more women on this planet than guys and we rather focus on better things.”

That is the definition of offensive and insulting talk targeted at others. Even as a troll post, those words unacceptable to me though I’m not a mod or judge. It’s just… sad.

#7 11 months ago
  8. dreamcastnews

@9 hmmm yeah, it’s certainly strong. This is half the problem with this site in general I find though. People take to the keys to talk about what they dislike and it soon becomes a heated rant that’s very close to a hate campaign. I guess I’m not surprised by his outburst as it’s commonplace for things to get out of control on VG247 – even Eurogamer has a more balanced comment system that at least can be downvoted should you not want to see a particular post or would rather give approval without getting into a silly ‘my console has a bigger cock’ argument.

But yeah, it’s very close to the knuckle. But still his view, many are too scared to post what they think on this so at the very least it’s brave.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Sylrissa

#10 “or turn lesbo during their life” And that is where you are flat out wrong, you’re assuming that being gay or lesbian is a choice, and one day a woman just goes “welp, I like girls now” when that couldn’t be further from the truth, and just goes to show how misinformed you are.

I could go on about my own personal experiences, but unlike you, I’m not going to use small anecdotal evidence that isn’t valid to be used as fact.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Clupula

@2 – Honestly, dude, it sounds like you were into some woman. She was into women and turned you down, and now you’re bitter. Actually, it sounds like it has happened more than once with how much it seems to upset you that some women wouldn’t be into you.

I called Francis out when he was pulling this and I think it’s fucked up that you’re spewing this sort of shit here. Just as I said with him, I don’t think that sort of thing really has a place here.

And Francis has pretty much been my punching bag the whole time he’s been here, while you and I have agreed on a lot of things. But this is caveman talk. This is the sort of hateful misinformed bullshit that should have gone the way of Jim Crow laws by now.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Sylrissa

#14 Well said, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case, it wouldn’t be the first time someone has lashed out like that.

#11 11 months ago
  12. dreamcastnews

I think in such a cushioned society, for you to say those things is certainly respected by me in a strange way, I agree it did go a little less-focused half way through but if you want to say something on your mind about the subject matter- why can’t you? It’s a democracy not dictatorship and you’ve expressed an opinion that sure others may take an instant dislike to, but we don’t all fall in line in life and do and feel different things towards situations – you get my respect for daring to be different, you aren’t homophobic – you just have a view.

Just, go easy on Nintendo ;)

#12 11 months ago
  13. Clupula

Oddly, the other big homophobe on this site is Nintendo’s biggest defender.

#13 11 months ago
  14. dreamcastnews

@17 who?

#14 11 months ago
  15. Clupula

@18 – Francis was all acting like a 14 year old on Xbox Live a couple nights ago. I mean, hey, if he wants to imply that me and Legendaryboss get it on, that’s one thing, but he was all being really nasty about it and saying some fairly hateful shit about gay people in general.

I’m fairly confident in my ability to get women, so calling me gay doesn’t bother me. It’s not an insult. Kinda wish I could be into guys too, so I could have twice the sex, but just not into it. But, I’ve always been really supportive of my gay and lesbian friends. And for him to be all making Brokeback Mountain jokes and shit was really inappropriate.

#15 11 months ago
  16. dreamcastnews

@18 that’s fair enough, there is a line between joke and just plain idiocy. I don’t think theevilaires is -too- over the line although some of the comments are close to the danger zone for sure.

You’ve got Francis on XBL?! I thought you guys didn’t see eye to eye? You’re always fighting ;)

I personally don’t have a problem with same gender shenanigans, but I don’t really have a problem with folk expressing a different view either, it’s a catch 22 really.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Clupula

@20 – Did you just whip out the Werner Wolfcastle “Maybe you all are homosexuals” defense? You gotta just be trolling right now. There’s no other explanation.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Clupula

@21 – No no. I don’t even have a 360. I’m saying he sounded like your average 14 year old on XBox Live.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Richenbaum

@22 seriously, when is he not?

#19 11 months ago
  20. Clupula

@21 – Honestly, if he had just said, “Fuck that shit. Good for Nintendo. It’s a kid’s game. If I had kids, I wouldn’t want them learning about that sort of thing,” I’d think it was an ignorant opinion, but one that can, at least, be debated. His whole, “Bitches can’t ride this, so they turn gay” rant was basically just sad, ill-informed ignorance that doesn’t really belong anywhere that adults attempt to have intelligent discussions.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Richenbaum

@25 that’s how trolling works. and the more offended you act and attention you draw to him the more you are giving him exactly what he wants.

#21 11 months ago
  22. zinc

“I’m a realist”… Used by the type of peeps who start sentences with “I’m not a racist, but…” or “I don’t mean to offend, but…”

:-P

#22 11 months ago
  23. Beta

Dear God.. Homophobic trolling galore in this comment section. I can actually feel my iq melting away. :P

In any case, it was a glitch and if Nintendo patched it because it was screwing with other code then fine.

But if it was removed for the disappointingly predictable reason of keeping Nintendo’s family friendly image then I’m not impressed.

@28 + 10

#23 11 months ago
  24. Fin

Soooo, tea’s homophobic ranting gets a free pass?

Pretty sure I say Dave saying he would ban people for hate speech before, no?

#24 11 months ago
  25. Sylrissa

Seems that way. and I remember reading the same previously.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Dave Cook

@30 Yeah but I can’t be here 24 hours a day though, I finished work almost five hours ago.

I’ll have a chat with Pat about this issue in the morning.

#26 11 months ago
  27. Fin

No worries man, just as long as you’re aware is all! Don’t mean to be hassling :)

#27 11 months ago
  28. Dave Cook

@33 I know you weren’t :)

I agree with you guys on this for sure. It’s not on.

#28 11 months ago
  29. lexph3re

Come on now guy. This dude wasn’t spreading hate he said what he felt. You can’t tell me he deserves a ban when you guys kept him going on the topic. If you didn’t like it tell him what he said that offended you and ask him to be more understanding. Why go about acting like he is prolonging the subject more?

You guys were just waiting for this to exploit an individual quarrel that you already had with TEA from post you didn’t like before.

#29 11 months ago
  30. Fin

“I meant no hate in terms of prejudice”

“I must say I hate lesbians”

/eyeroll

#30 11 months ago
  31. Brenna Hillier

I just banned theevilaires, which means this comment thread now makes little sense. Sorry about that.

I don’t want to derail with yet another conversation about acceptable behaviour, trolling, community moderation and why we don’t have much of it, but I will say this:

Making offensive generalisations about a group of people – whether that group is defined by race, gender, class, sexuality, or any one of a range of human differentiators – is hate speech. On those rare occasions it’s brought to my attention, it results in a ban.

Don’t make me hunt down your alts. Just rein it in.

#31 11 months ago
  32. zinc

Edit:

Well I did originally have a nice retort for Tea, but Brenna seems to have…

/Dealt with it.

;-) Private joke for those who were reading this thread :-)

#32 11 months ago
  33. Phoenixblight

Its their site they can run it how they like. TEA needed to be banned for his comments. We don’t need that crap here, go to 4chan if you want to spew that nonsense.

#33 11 months ago
  34. lexph3re

Right, I get cyber stalked nothing is done about it. TEA says his personal view that was apart of the already sticky subject he gets banned. Backwards

#34 11 months ago
  35. Phoenixblight

Cyberstalking != offensive remarks

#35 11 months ago
  36. G1GAHURTZ

@34:

I agree with you, lex.

Ridiculous double standards here.

Can’t say I didn’t see it coming. Seriously, before I went to bed last night, I was thinking about leaving a message saying that as soon as Brenna sees this, she’s going to go all ban happy.

I didn’t, because I hoped that the thread would just be left alone, but obviously that didn’t happen.

Brenna, you ban tea, because he’s specifically talking about lesbians, which is a group that you openly put yourself into, but while he may have been offensive, he’s NOT a homophobe, and DIDN’T say anything homophobic.

He stated an opinion, and justified it with explanations.

You, I or anyone else may not have agreed with him or his explanations, but to ban him is outrageous.

It goes directly against how Pat has been running this site from day one, and for me, it shows an abuse of power, purely because he said something that you took personal offense to.

Please, give me your personal email, and I will spam your inbox with ban requests for every time someone comes on here and is offensive to Muslims.

Because it happens regularly, but I don’t see you rushing to ban them.

The inconsistency is ridiculous.

Why couldn’t you just wait and talk to Pat like Dave was going to do?

#36 11 months ago
  37. salarta

Brenna’s about to go full Lara Croft (the original, proper one) on the alts. :P

#37 11 months ago
  38. zinc

@36, To be fair, Pat has banned Tea once before, so Brenna is still acting in a way that is true to VG247 :)

Plus its only for a relatively short while, so he’ll be back.

#38 11 months ago
  39. Dragon246

Wow, someone got banned. Never thought I would see such a day. Missed the discussion entirely.

Now, can we also get bans on words like “schizophrenic”, “mentally challenged”, “masturbating” and so on?

Just read #7, that was bad. Generalizations like that suck and shouldn’t be allowed. However, as Ghz said, same intolerance should also be shown to anyone else hurting any other groups like Muslims and so on.

Edited

#39 11 months ago
  40. Ireland Michael

Good riddance, for a second time. This place might actually be habitable again. We’ll see.

#40 11 months ago
  41. Brenna Hillier

@34 who did you report the cyberstalking to? I haven’t taken action because I don’t know a single thing about it. Email me with links.

@35 @39 I’ll ban over any incident of hate speech I find. I saw this one because the discussion was during my shift. If I see more, I’ll act. I don’t read every comment thread or forum post and I’m not here 24/7.

@39 I’d love to se an end to the kind of words you mention, Dragon, but using a word callously is different from saying “all people in group x are [negative statement]“.

@35 His opinions were offensive generalisations, and that’s not allowed.

@38 I deleted his main. It’s permanent.

Listen, it’s simple: don’t say anything here you wouldn’t say if you were standing in an office. If the thing you’re saying would have us throw you out of the building, we’ll throw you out of the site.

Can we please quit it with these endless boring discussions of community moderation. We’ve heard your complaints, we’re working on it, there’s nothing else to be done right now.

#41 11 months ago
  42. Ireland Michael

@39 This is the second time he’s been banned.

@41 “We’ve heard your complaints, we’re working on it.”

I would totally agree with this if not for the fact that Da Man has been habitually harassing, mocking and insulting almost every single member of the community for ages now, and still nothing has been done about it.

What he’s posted *has* been hate speech on many occasions, and his behaviour has consistently been worse than TEA’s. But apparently that is totally the sort of thing people say in the office to each other and completely acceptable…

Beyond that, you guys are doing great.

#42 11 months ago
  43. Dragon246

@Brenna,
    Agreed on the whole. People should talk like they would in real life face to face.
    Btw, about cyberstalking, it happened to me before, and nobody listened. I will be counting on you to protect me in the future of VG247 :P

@Michael,
    Agreed on Da Man, here is one-
    “#474

Da Man
    13/12/12, 7:44 pm

Have you tried masturbating, Dragon1234567890 yet? Or is it just vg247 and Metal Gear soundtracks daily?

It’s been a while since I’ve seen people bumping four year old threads due to having literally zero life. Poor young man.”

#43 11 months ago
  44. Ireland Michael

So then, can we get a ban for Da Man’s hate speech and constant stalking harassment as well, since its been made aware of?

That is all that’s required, correct?

#44 11 months ago
  45. G1GAHURTZ

Stop it, O’Connor.

You don’t even post here anymore, so what’s with the vindictive campaign?

You’ve been just as guilty of obnoxious behaviour in the past, and you eventually made a conscious effort to change, so perhaps you should spend a little more time concentrating on your own shortcomings?

#45 11 months ago
  46. Brenna Hillier

We are going to check the whole thread and ask for the other side of the story so be very, very sure your own tabard is clean. There are a lot of glass houses around here ;)

#46 11 months ago
  47. Ireland Michael

@45 Michael, please.

I still visit the site daily for news. The only reason I stopped posting is because of the utter pig sty that the community itself has turned into. One of the people responsible for that has been completely wiped from the face of the website though, so there’s some hope for it yet.

“….you eventually made a conscious effort to change.”

And that, right there, is the difference. They haven’t.

“You’ve been telling people to ignore, ignore, ignore, for years, but all this time you’ve been incapable of doing it yourself.”

I ignore the individuals in question when they directly talk to me. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to discuss the issue with the staff. There’s no “vindictive campaign”. He’s simply one of the guilty people.

@46 “Honestly everyone, if someone is legit hassling you, with repeat incidents of targeted insults, email me (or Dave, or Steph, or Pat) with a pile of links. You can grab the URL for a specific comment from the red, hashtagged number.”

I sent numerous links on Twitter to the staff of consistent, abusive comments from Da Man, directed not only as me but countless other members as well, for almost a year. There are members of staff that openly despise his behaviour, and yet even that isn’t even enough. Eventually I got so sick of people like him being allowed to piss on people I simply stopped posting.

Dragon just showed you one of those comments. The fact that its not in an email shouldn’t matter. The words don’t suddenly change because they’re in an inbox.

Frankly, people shouldn’t have to sit around and gather up links when the persons behaviour is right in front of your faces, and has been for years. Especially considering that TEA just got banned for one homophobic remark.

You’re the one who said that you would instantly ban someone if you were made aware of such behaviour, so it’s pretty clear stuff ARE allowed to ban people at their own discretion. So simply delete Da Man’s profile. You KNOW he’s an insulting, degrading, bullying jerk. You don’t need a “email of repeated instances of targeted insults” anymore than you needed them to ban TEA.

#47 11 months ago
  48. Beta

The man was ranting about how he hated lesbians.. That is blatantly offensive and he entirely deserved his ban. Ridiculous that anyone could defend a man posting that kind of cave man drivel. And “I’m a realist” is not a justification.

Well done Brenna.

#48 11 months ago
  49. Dave Cook

@47 Michael I spoke with you about this on Twitter and said the best way to deal with the issue was to send me a mail with the evidence in one place, as per what Brenna said above.

You never sent it mate. I’d have happily taken things a step further if you did but unless it’s proper hate mongering like what TEA has just been banned for, we need to see it in a written email with the evidence there. Just send us links.

I offered to help and it never came to pass for some reason.

#49 11 months ago
  50. salarta

I am going to eat pants now. Mmm. Pants.

#50 11 months ago
  51. monkeygourmet

This is outrageous!!!

While I agree with TEA’s ban in this case (although, same as last time, I think he knew exactly what he was doing to provoke a reaction), the projected view some people have of their conduct on this site is unbelievable!

If you act like that IRL there must be ALOT of people walking around with a ‘God’ complex.

Fact is, I’ve seen evidence of;

passive aggressive bullying
    goading
    sniping
    bitching
    manipulation
    etc… etc…

These are all pretty shitty character traits, and all coming from the majority of people who call for bans!!! The hypocricy is so strong here!

Just because a certain member can’t be arsed to trawl through pages and pages of VG247 stories just to dig out the dirt, doesn’t mean it’s not there!

Of ccourse, then we have the charming ‘alt accounts’ and people running around ‘stealth’ editting their comments in case the get ‘caught out’. What a spineless attitude, can’t bode well for there self esteem IRL.

I’ve said it before; ‘People in glass houses….’

You can’t goad, stir up an arguement then cry about it later down the line. Life doesn’t simply work like that, somethings you have to look at your own behaviour and wonder if that may be the cause.

Anyway, sniping, bitching and back stabbing are easier to do on a forum, it’s just ironic that all the people who seem to be asking about getting more ‘real life’ conduct here display behaviours that most would find abrasive.

Anyway, TEA’s comments were unacceptable in this instance, but he knew exactly what he was doing. It’s the same thing that happened last time.

He gets bored and pokes the hornets nest. I don’t even think he believes half the shit he writes, it’s just more trolling, same as he always used to do.

If someone like TEA change your opinion on gay marriage over a videogame forum, I think you have more problems tbh!

#51 11 months ago
  52. monkeygourmet

Trying to make themselves out to be a saint…

#52 11 months ago
  53. Fin

I think there’s a big difference between the general bitching and sniping that goes on in comments and TEA saying “I hate lesbians”.

#53 11 months ago
  54. monkeygourmet

Yeah, I was seperating those 2 things.

The TEA thing was a genuine issue, the people jumping on the bandwagon crying ‘ban him/her!’ are another thing entirely.

You’ve just grouped both my points together.

It becomes dangerous to act while people are in a heightened emotional state. Thats when you make mistakes and it’s where ‘Witch Hunts’ stemmed from…

Mass hysteria or whatever you want to call it.

My original point was trying to identify this and try to seperate them.

The other day for example;

Francis insinuated Clup & LBoss were a homosexual couple, and I think (may be wrong), threw the ‘fag’ word around.

Clup retaliated by writing various inflammentry poems about him and Nintendo.

Are we banning Francis here or does it only matter if someone decides to take offence? Just because Clup seemed okay with it and responded in a ‘jokey’ manner, are we saying that behaviour was okay?

Basically, it’s all a load of shite bollocks and double standards.

#54 11 months ago
  55. OlderGamer

This site needs, imo, active moderation. I saw Teas outburt yesterday. Made me sick. But I couldn’t do anything about it. I am glad Brenna took care of it. However I agree with MG too, the action taken here feels selective. And ofc, the reason for that is that the staff is spread thin and not able to police the comments sections properly. You can’t really blame the staff, that isn’t their job. That is where active moderation should come in.

Sure there will be draw backs. But that is the reality of it. No one should ever feel bad to come here. The type of comments posted by Tea(and others) are just uncalled for and have ZERO place here.

I don’t post as often as I used to either. And several long term posters stoped contributing as well. Back a couple years ago, when the site was smaller it could get away with less rules and less babysitting. That formula doesn’t work as good now because of the increase in traffic. From spam attacks telling us “Posters love their jobs” to people promoting their own game blogs and youtube accounts with links, to people just spewing trash and hate, every site like this needs someone who only logs on to clean stuff up.

#55 11 months ago
  56. G1GAHURTZ

@53:

That’s nonsense.

You’ve taken a single sentence that he (possibly) wrote (can’t even check, now), and run with it, ignoring every effort that he made to clarify himself.

You just wanted to get him banned, regardless of what he said from that point on, which is despicable behaviour.

It’s very ironic, that for someone who so obviously tries to put himself up as a hero of tolerance, you seem to have an extremely low tolerance for anything that anyone says that you don’t agree with.

#56 11 months ago
  57. GwynbleiddiuM

@G1GA To be fair, low tolerance thing isn’t true when we talk about Da Man, oh we tolerate him alright, but the thing is he has this name calling habit that is going on for far too long. He believes himself to be funny and humorous. On rare occasions that might even work for him but most of the time it doesn’t.

We all have endured him, some people learned to look the other way when he tries to derail a topic, but that doesn’t change the fact that he purposefully attempts to provoke others.

Just read his comments, sometimes I even wonder if he has any interest in gaming at all. Most of the times he either attacks people based on personal grudges or based on the platform they game at.

#57 11 months ago
  58. Ireland Michael

@49 I never sent it because you already had all the proof you needed in all those links on Twitter. But hey, if sitting around waiting for someone to flame just so I can collect random URLs is the only options, I guess I have no choice, eh?

If Brenna can delete a member’s whole account entirely on her own prerogative (which I fully support, mind you), I think it’s fairly apparent that the staff doesn’t need an email to take action, and can do as they see fit. You KNOW Da Man is guilty of what he’s been accused of countless times over, why not simply delete his account?

Why is Da Man getting this utterly insane favouritism despite the entire community CONSTANTLY complaining about his behaviour? It’s ridiculous.

@52 “It wouldn’t actually suprise me if some people on here were not trawling through all their previous posts now and editting like a maniac…”

Comments on the site only have an editing timespan of about 30 minutes. It’s completely impossible to go back and alter them after that, so what you’re suggesting isn’t possible.

#58 11 months ago
  59. zinc

@56, Tea’s attempts to clarify himself are what got him banned.

But hey, if your fine with unapologetic bigotry and name calling, more power to you. But let’s not make Saint Tea into a martyr here, yeah?

Sometimes on the internet, stupidity does come at a price. He paid it, now lets move on.

#59 11 months ago
  60. Clupula

@57 – I know, at this point, I don’t even read a comment if I see it’s from Da Man, because he’s just going to insulting someone. I don’t recall him ever actually joining a conversation to discuss gaming. If he has, someone correct me, please. But usually, he’ll show up. Insult either the subject of the article or someone saying something positive about it. And then that’s usually the extent of his posts unless someone responds to him, in which case, he’ll then insult the people responding.

#60 11 months ago
  61. deathm00n

@60 Don’t forget randomly choosing someone to insult based on their comments. I didn’t liked one bit the time he called me deprived just because I was talking about how low the salarys are in my country and how much tax games have here.

#61 11 months ago
  62. Deacon

I’ve clashed with Da Man numerous times. Whilst in hindsight I believe a lot of the time I was merely taking it all a bit too seriously, it’s clear he comes into threads with the sole purpose of insulting, generalising, and throwing shit down from his perceived high horse. He’s better because he only plays online multiplayer and iPad games you see.

I hate seeing the pleasant old-timers leave just because a handful of hilarious trollers can’t be reprimanded.

#62 11 months ago
  63. Ireland Michael

> mock entire community – allowed to post freely without reprimand.
    > insults minority group that staff is part of – complete deletion.

I’m not justifying TEA’s behaviour, but its a pretty horrendous double standard and you know it, Dave. Just look at all the comments proceeding this one about his behaviour. Da Man isn’t some sort of poor victim here.

@62 “How none of the staff have taken his trolling seriously and just banned the little gimp I have no idea.”

Pretty much this. It’s pretty cleared they can, based on TEA’s banning.

#63 11 months ago
  64. monkeygourmet

Da Man… Alt account of Pat?! :)

Okay, well, people just have to use the ‘stealth edit’ then I guess.

@Topic-ish

I just lump ‘Da Man’ into a similar breed of posters like; PS3Fanboy, itsucks, Somi (Think that was his name, kept writing about Miyamoto getting cancer and stuff).

It’s trolling on such a lazy level I don’t even notice it or give too fucks.

When I defend Nintendo alot, I get people sniping as they assume i’m a Nintendo fanboy. The fanboy ‘wars’ part of the website won’t really change IMO.

People like ‘Da Man’ just baits people, same as PS3fanboy baits other people who dislike Sony. Sometimes I take the bait, sometimes I don’t, but thats always my choice.

And, let me repeat this: So many other posters are guilty of similar things. There is not really any one person on here that can stand up and say their shit doesn’t stink, so, to be calling other people out is bullshit.

The only thing that really pisses me off are ‘alt accounts’, as that kind of manipulation isn’t something you can achieve IRL. It can completly throw a topic off balance and get people to argue amoungst themselves. That is the real poison here.

The obvious trolls don’t do the damage, it’s the sly ones that cause problems…

..hungry, restless types… The type that put the wind up Julius Caesar – men who’d stab their friends in the back.

#64 11 months ago
  65. Beta

@56 I’m sorry, there is no way to defend his behaviour. He did indeed say “I hate lesbians” which is offensive and banning him was the right call. And his attempts to explain himself only involved more offensive behaviour.

He was a troll, not some kind of martyr of free speech. And he’s gone. End of.

#65 11 months ago
  66. salarta

@51: Simply put, the reason the majority of the people that call for bans all the time are also the people that most deserve them is because those people are desperately trying to get rid of people that hold an opposing view or that they have a personal grudge against. They’re hoping they can get what they want either through intimidation, bullying or smearing them, or by ban hammer. Both work just as well to them.

Of course, this is an entirely different case from when it’s actually deserved bannings, like saying things that are intentional hate speech.

@52: You can only edit within a 30 minute window. At least, that’s what I’ve observed.

#66 11 months ago
  67. Beta

What this site really needs is an ignore button. That would solve a lot of problems.

#67 11 months ago
  68. Fin

Sorry, when someone says “I hate lesbians”, it doesn’t really matter if there’s a “but” after it.
    It’s bullshit to say that I have an “extremely low tolerance for anything that anyone says that you don’t agree with.”. Yes, when someone says they hate a group of people based on their sexual orientation, I’ve got a low tolerance for that.

You’re damn right I wanted him banned. He made some other comments in one of the kickstarter articles, being derogatory to women, which I found incredibly distasteful. Him saying he hated lesbians was basically the last straw for me.

Oh and there’s no “possibly” about him saying “I hate lesbians”.

Here you go:

Is anyone actually going to defend what he said under “free speech”?

#68 11 months ago
  69. lexph3re

Honestly, This type of Banning process is what disgust me on this site. The topic of which is indeed already a touchy subject but TEA did talk on it. He said He has no problem with Homosexuality and even said he’s pro same sex marriage in the same post with no edits.

Then he said how he personally feels and clarified that people don’t have to agree with him and it’s just how he feels. That was grounds for a ban? But Da Man who literally follows people on this site actively trolling in Forums and in Threads is passed?

You can’t tell me that Dave, Bre and others don’t see that garbage. You can’t tell me that TEA didn’t atleast deserve a warning to rephrase off this one “Innappropriate” statement. But, Da Man and others that actively hunt eachother down get a pass.

This is one of the main reasons I stopped caring about this site. Banning people that they personally feel offended them but not the constant derailers

#69 11 months ago
  70. Ireland Michael

@66 Nobody is asking for anyone to be banned simply for having a different view, and that assumption is a complete fabrication.

@67 There used to be a script that you could run in your browser to ignore posts. I tried to find someone to recode it when the site design changed a while back, but nobody offered to help.

#70 11 months ago
  71. Beta

@68 Completely agreed. You cannot justify hate speech. Trolling or not it was extremely offensive.

VG247 staff, is a proper ignore button something you’re planning to introduce in the future?

#71 11 months ago
  72. lexph3re

@68 People are allowed to hate what ever they want. It’s what they do in actions that provokes a movement. You can’t stop someone from hating/disliking/disapproving of anything. They can even state it from a personal position.

You making a motion for someones disdain is pointless. He didn’t tell you to agree with him. He didn’t tellyou to help him rid the world of them. I read the whole thing. And, it honestly was mildly offensive nothing bigger then a average prank on Family Guy

#72 11 months ago
  73. Fin

So where do you draw the line about what people can say? Would you be ok with a comment saying someone didn’t like Cole in Gears of War because they hate black people? (I mean that as an honest question)

For me, the line is when someone expresses judgement on a collective group of people – I hate all [insert group of people here]. That’s when they need to be banned.

#73 11 months ago
  74. G1GAHURTZ

@59:

Bigotry and name calling?

What exactly did he say, then?

As far as I can remember, he said something about hating lesbians, because they were ugly. Then, iirc, he clarified that his girlfriend’s mother was a lesbian, implying that he had a normal, non-hate filled relationship with her.

What followed after that, that was so bad?

He also recently said that he hated KickStarter and the people who put projects on it, because they were just stealing people’s money.

Is that bigotry, too?

Are we still allowed to express what we do and don’t like these days, or have the thought police changed the rules?

Can I now not say that I don’t like blondes, because I find them ugly?

Is it suddenly a crime to not like something for an arbitrary reason, which isn’t actually homophobia?

Let’s be honest here. The real reason that tea got banned is because Brenna is obviously very sensitive about this particular issue.

It’s easy to read into this, that certain people don’t care who says what, as long as it’s not about them, or the group that they belong to.

tea was rude, he was offensive, he said something silly.

Homophobic? Bigoted? No.

And if that’s a reason for a perma-ban, then 70% of the people on here should be banned, too.

#74 11 months ago
  75. Fin

Again, there’s a difference between “I don’t like blonde girls” and “I hate all people with blonde hair”.

Have another read of what TEA said and see if you can tell why it was homophobic and bigoted.

Quote: “90% of you are forced to be gay”

#75 11 months ago
  76. Ireland Michael

@74, “I don’t agree with Micheal’s continued calls for Da Man to be banned, but look at the way his calls are falling on deaf ears.”

Because I’m totally the only person in this entire thread who has singled out Da Man’s behaviour… *rolls eyes*

#76 11 months ago
  77. Deacon

I completely missed his original comments, but if http://i.imgur.com/HCFI6s9.png is the worst of it, I agree with Lex. He has an opinion and he was simply sharing it (as fucking crazy as his opinion may be).

At least generally he is here to talk about the industry and actually take part, as opposed to sitting on the sidelines and entering threads only to derail and attack.

#77 11 months ago
  78. Beta

Right so I’d be fine saying I hate gay people, but it’s okay because my aunt is a lesbian? I wonder how his girlfriends mother would feel if she saw him writing I hate lesbians?

I’m willing to bet that nearly everything TEA wrote was made up in the first place.

Actually laughing in disbelief. That is not a legitimate opinion. It’s hate speech.

#78 11 months ago
  79. lexph3re

^Yahtzee And Giga and I never agree. But, He is right. I don’t care if someone says that hate black people and won’t play a game because of it. It’s the moment when someone comes up saying “I’m Black and that’s not cool!” and then the person proceeds to harass the person after finding out their black that turns to a perma ban.

We found out Silk was a lesbian long ago. Did TEA attack her and make it his goal to make her uncomfortable that he would need repremand him.

#79 11 months ago
  80. Ireland Michael

@77 He straight up called homosexual women liars who secretly want a cock in their lives and are only deluding themselves otherwise, that their entire sexuality identity is a facade, and that them being gay was a choice as opposed to a genetic predisposition.

Yeah, sorry, that’s not just “sharing an opinion”. That’s being a homophobic asshole.

#80 11 months ago
  81. G1GAHURTZ

You’re talking complete rubbish.

That is a clear untruth.

“You know I’m all for homosexual-rights (everyone is entitled to be happy as long as they aren’t harming anyone else)”

Is what he actually said.

You’re just reading what you want to read, because of the intolerance that I’ve already mentioned.

#81 11 months ago
  82. Ireland Michael

@81 “Never, at any single point in time, did he say that he hated them, based on their sexual orientation.”

Uuuuhh…

“I hate lesbians.”

“They walk down the street trying to prove something like they’re fucking rebels”

“You ugly ass broads.”

“If polygamy was accepted world wide lesbians wouldn’t exist.”

And just in case you missed it…

“I hate lesbians.”

#82 11 months ago
  83. lexph3re

Fin you are being completely selective with his statements and are only using choice statements from TEA. You are not saying the entire thing at all even though you give links to the source. The dude was clearly making a exaggerated joke out of his own content. Did he link you to statistics on female population and how they are actively becoming homosexual? Did he send you to his website that is asking you to join his hate for lesbians?

You took everything he said completely out of context and manipulated it to your own personal agenda. You sir/ma’am are being completely bias

#83 11 months ago
  84. Fin

+a million

Err, I’m pretty sure when you say “I hate all of [group]“, you hate them because they’re part of that group.

#84 11 months ago
  85. Clupula

@74 – It’s more than just “I don’t like blond girls.” It would be closer to him going on some bullshit theory about why blonds are inferior humans.

If you look earlier in the thread, I said that I don’t feel him simply not liking lesbians was what the problem was. If he had simply said that he didn’t feel gay and lesbian relationships belonged in a videogame primarily aimed at kids, then I would see that as an ignorant opinion, but one that could very much be debated. The whole point of these things is to have a discussion. And he can not like one group of people all he wants as long as he doesn’t suddenly turn things into a soap box, where he pontificates on why he thinks they’re deviants, which is pretty much what he did.

It would be the same thing as if he went on about how black people were inferior to whites or that all Muslims are terrorists. It was a completely out-of-context rant basically designed to say that one group of people were not equal to others. It would be like using the comments of an article on Ken Levine to go on about how the Jews killed Jesus. That is why it was deserving of a ban. Besides the fact that he had already been banned once before, apparently.

Including your opinion within the discussion is one thing. Turning it into your own personal forum for how some people are just better than others and why, is another.

#85 11 months ago
  86. Fin

Oh sorry, he said he hated lesbians, that they were doing it to push gay right, that 90% of them were forced to be lesbian because of a lack of men, that people wouldn’t be lesbian if polygamy was legal.

Correct me if I’m wrong on any of that.

“It would be the same thing as if he went on about how black people were inferior to whites or that all Muslims are terrorists.”

Exactly.

#86 11 months ago
  87. G1GAHURTZ

If there is any difference, it’s down to who is saying the sentence, and how it is being expressed.

Those two sentences could well have the exact same intended meaning.

You’ve clearly taken the most negative interpretation on what he said, because of an agenda that you had.

#87 11 months ago
  88. lexph3re

See a lot of bias is cming up basedon the merits of what he said. Again, it’s clear he wasn’t pushing his statement as a general fact. He was completely exaggerating it.

I could easily draw out the inconclusive aspects of each of those arguements. But, that’s not what TEA did, TEA stated how he felt and left it at that. He was then dragged out by a select few people that made an agenda out of it.

#88 11 months ago
  89. Beta

I find it hilarious that people are attempting to defend a man that “hates ugly lesbians”.

His opinion was wrong. So is yours.

#89 11 months ago
  90. Fin

He said “I hate lesbians”, not “I don’t like lesbians” or “there’s this one lesbian girl I know, she annoys me”.

That’s my agenda.

#90 11 months ago
  91. Ireland Michael

@87 He selectively decided that most gay women are ugly, overdramatic bitches who secretly desire a penis.

It doesn’t matter if he has a single gay friend. That doesn’t make the claims any less homophobic.

It’s no different to “I’m not racist, but…”. It’s racist / sexist / homophobic / bigoted the very SECOND you claim different standards on people because of what they are.

And let’s point this out for you again…

“I hate lesbians”.

@88 “TEA stated how he felt and left it at that. He was then dragged out by a select few people that made an agenda out of it.”

That sort of ignorance and bigotry isn’t accepted in adult society, unless you come from shitty places where it is. You don’t get to talk about gay people that way any less than you do women or people of different ethnicities.

If he wanted to be treated like a grown up, he should have acted like one.

#91 11 months ago
  92. Deacon

@80 – okaaaay :p haha wow. He certainly is a special one.

Still, if we can get Da Man out on his arse off the back of this I’ll be pleased. Surely we can do that now without a list of offences? I can only see G1GA and maybe Gekidami opposing this…

I’m surprised he hasn’t appeared already to berate us all in one fell swoop!!

#92 11 months ago
  93. G1GAHURTZ

Yes, because they’re part of that group. But it doesn’t mean that what makes them part of that group is why you hate them.

eg:

“I hate Scottish people.” (who are Scottish by place of birth)

“Why?”

“Because I can’t understand a word that they say, and I feel stupid when I talk to them.”

Reason for group definition =/= reason for dislike.

#93 11 months ago
  94. Clupula

@88 – And If I wanted to be selective as some of the people on this site. I could easily say show proof that Homosexuality is genetic. Show proof that it’s not a choice.

But you’re missing the point…why would that discussion even need to be brought up on A VIDEOGAME FORUM? Unless, hypothetically, someone decided to do a Kickstarter for a videogame where you turn gay people straight and there was an article on it. Otherwise, there’s no place for that discussion to even happen. You can hate whoever you want. But why should you use here to pontificate about your theories on why the people you hate are the way they are? Get a blog and rant about it there.

#94 11 months ago
  95. Beta

So then what is a legitimate reason for hating lesbians? I certainly didn’t see TEA state one.

#95 11 months ago
  96. Fin

Hmm, so what innate thing that differentiates lesbians from the rest of the populate could’ve been his reason for hating them?

I wonder…

#96 11 months ago
  97. Dave Cook

@63 saying I know what Da Man has down is wrong. I’m too busy to watch the boards like a hawk. I honestly don’t see half – scratch that – even a quarter of what you were referring to.

I’d appreciate it if you’d stop acting like I was defending Da Man or turning a blind eye to him for some reason. I’m not, I just would still very much like to see what it is he’s done to warrant a ban.

If you had sent me that mail back then he could have been booted by now, but here we are, still doing the same, tired dance

Just know that we do want to help and make this a friendly place to be. Until we’re given the scope to do so, we can only do what we can.

#97 11 months ago
  98. lexph3re

Again the grounds were clearly personal as opposed to the nature of his statement. In which it shows that the moderation of this site is purely impulsive as opposed to objective. And, all it takes is a single statement by a select group to inflate it to achieve a goal.

But people can continue to actively harrass and attack community members and not a damn will be given.

#98 11 months ago
  99. G1GAHURTZ

@Micheal:

What are you going to do with this quote?

Here, he has clearly made a distinction between his own personal opinion, and what he feels is right.

That alone, is enough reason to give him the benefit of the doubt, and give him a warning.

Did that happen?

Brenna banned him for good.

Has she banned the guy that you’re all complaining about?

Why?

That is my question.

Why?

#99 11 months ago
  100. Clupula

@99 – I guess you could say that having already been banned once before can count as having already had a warning.

#100 11 months ago
  101. Ireland Michael

@92 “Surely we can do that now without a list of offences”

Don’t hold your breath. There’s a pretty obvious selective bias going on, which the staff seem are outright ignoring.

Brenna’s actions show that the staff *can* do this sort of thing at their own prerogative. I’ve had some staff outright tell me they despise his behaviour and find working in an environment with him in it to be both stressful and upsetting… so nothing is stopping them.

Anything less than a straight up deletion of his account is selective bias.

Maybe a thread of his offences might work better than an email. That way people can collectively point out his constant personal attacks individually, and the staff can see it all in one place. Apparently it’s the only thing that’s going to see any action taken.

#101 11 months ago
  102. G1GAHURTZ

#102 11 months ago
  103. Beta

@100 Seems like warning enough to me :p He’ll be back with an alternate account soon and the whole fun dance will start all over again anyway.

#103 11 months ago
  104. Gheritt White

ALL OF YOU ARE CUNTS!

#104 11 months ago
  105. lexph3re

@94 This topic isabout what again? Please don’t act like in journalism that this isn’t one of the many openings to Baldurs Gate. This topic always brings out deep feelings, Offensive rants and Hate filled arguemnts. However, in TEAs case he did not escalate anything past the interpretations of a select few that already seemed to have their views on him.

I’m not making him a martyr or anything. But, when so many random bans go about and we see so many slip through the cracks. It continues to turn me away fom this site. And, I have made many of friends on this site already so it’s enough to make me speak up on it

#105 11 months ago
  106. Beta

@104 See why don’t I find that offensive? :P

#106 11 months ago
  107. G1GAHURTZ

@100:

That’s fair enough, but Brenna never mentioned about him being previously warned.

This has purely been about a banning based on one single set of comments.

#107 11 months ago
  108. Patrick Garratt

We don’t have to go through this every time someone gets banned. He was being offensive. And that’s that.

#108 11 months ago
  109. Patrick Garratt

We can warn him or not warn him. He was being blatantly homophobic. It’s not acceptable.

#109 11 months ago
  110. Beta

@109 I could not agree with this more Pat.

#110 11 months ago
  111. lexph3re

His Statements weren’t blantly homophobic. The guy even said they deserve to be married. Anything after that can be his own personal expression towards how he feels. And, you can’t stop someone from feeling how they want. That’s completely contradictive towards the initial motion and shows favoritism to a select party.

Again completely implusive

#111 11 months ago
  112. G1GAHURTZ

Can we have some consistency then, Pat?

#112 11 months ago
  113. Ireland Michael

“With TEA it was different as we were all here at the time to see it unfold. It’s a bit shitty when it’s being made to seem like we don’t care about you guys, because we do, but once again, resources are against us to carry out constant moderation, we’re insanely busy and once the new site opens, it will have better tools to combat people being pricks.”

Brenna deleting TEA’s entire account in a heartbeat says otherwise.

I sent you guys dozens of links of his behaviour every single time they happened, 90% of which weren’t even directed at me. You saw it with your own eyes, and people have been telling the staff for YEARS that his behaviour is disruptive. GOOD members have straight up left because of him.

If TEA can be banned on impulse, so can Da Man. You’ve been told what he’s guilty of countless times, and you don’t need to “police the site” to see it. I’ll check the comments maybe once a month and find them without even trying. On the last page alone there were about half a dozen comments IN A ROW pointing out the effects of his behaviour.

Stop being selective. The *entire* site wants Da Man gone for the sake of the community atmosphere. You’re around enough to know who the active and decent members of the community are, so you could just trust their word.

#113 11 months ago
  114. Patrick Garratt

Of course I can’t stop someone having an opinion. But we can stop them from having it on our website. As we did.

#114 11 months ago
  115. G1GAHURTZ

@111:

Agreed.

#115 11 months ago
  116. Patrick Garratt

@112 Sure. Who else is being homophobic?

#116 11 months ago
  117. Beta

@111 He can feel however he wants. That doesn’t mean that he can come on a gaming site of all places and try to offend people. And he was being blatantly homophobic. I hate lesbians is the very definition of homophobic.

“Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men” I.E. “I hate lesbians”

#117 11 months ago
  118. Ireland Michael

“He was being offensive.”

So is Da Man almost every single time he posts, with straight up insults and derogatory comments targeting people’s intelligence, personality, class and status DIRECTLY.

This keeps coming up because of the selective bias going on. And people will keep bringing it up until he is banned.

#118 11 months ago
  119. Ireland Michael

@116 So it’s only bannable if its homophobic?

Straight up harassment of members is PERFECTLY acceptable though. Got it.

#119 11 months ago
  120. Patrick Garratt

You do seem to have a giant hard-on for getting this guy banned, Michael. Is it really that bad? If it is I’ll whack him.

#120 11 months ago
  121. Patrick Garratt

Don’t have a go at me, dude. Error.

#121 11 months ago
  122. Lengendaryboss

Hmmm this got heated much quicker than i thought.

#122 11 months ago
  123. Ireland Michael

@120 He’s the worst thing about this community bar nothing. I’m not the only person whose ever brought him up. Almost everyone wants him gone because of his constant, neverending harassment of the community. What more do you need than that fact?

@121 The staff ARE being selective. This is a straight up fact. Are you going to ban people for having an opinion and actually trying to defend the community, instead of the constant bully hassassing it?

Since the site’s inception, Shatner and Da Man are the only issues I’ve ever brought to the staff’s attention… and Da Man is far worse than Shatner ever was.

#123 11 months ago
  124. viralshag

I’m with #104…

Seems like it was bit of an impulsive decision regarding the ban.

I think both TEA and Da Man make stupid comments from time to time but that’s not something I would only accuse them of and it hardly seems ban-worthy… definitely ignore-worthy though.

#124 11 months ago
  125. Deacon

This is all starting to sound a bit tit-for-tat, but, I can definitely back up Michael’s comments on Da Man Pat. He’s a deliberately offensive troll who adds nothing to this place and has influenced the departure of those that DO (or did) add.

#125 11 months ago
  126. Beta

@124 Which brings to me back to my request for an ignore button in the future.

I certainly know that I would use it. ;)

#126 11 months ago
  127. G1GAHURTZ

@Pat:

I’ve gotten used to the fact that nothing happens.

Which is why this makes no sense.

So all I’m saying is that, from this point on, can those people be perma-banned, too. Because it hasn’t happened consistently over the last 6 years.

#127 11 months ago
  128. G1GAHURTZ

@Pat:

You know what Michael is like when he has it in for someone.

Don’t ban Da Man purely on his say so.

This is getting ridiculous…

#128 11 months ago
  129. Patrick Garratt

@127 – If you see something like that, tell me. A guy being a bit of a prick isn’t the same as someone being racist. I’ve said before that anything racist or homophobic isn’t allowed here. I don’t read these comments much, but I will ban people for it.

Has Da Man been racist or homophobic? Or is he just being a bit of a prick?

#129 11 months ago
  130. Beta

It’s not just Michael asking for him to be banned though. Personally I don’t have an opinion on Da Man as I’ve never interacted with him.

Though from what I’ve heard he sounds like a charming guy.. :P

#130 11 months ago
  131. Ireland Michael

Just for the record…

“I can definitely back up Michael’s comments on Da Man Pat. He’s a deliberately offensive troll who adds nothing to this place and has influenced the departure of those that DO (or did) add.”

@127 That’s because the staff aren’t Islamic or an ethnic minority. It’s only offensive if you’re part of the group being offended. I completely agree on racism being just as bannable, but don’t hold your breath.

#131 11 months ago
  132. G1GAHURTZ

@Pat:

I don’t have any problems with Da Man.

I know he can be offensive, like we all can, but no, nothing racist or homophobic.

#132 11 months ago
  133. Patrick Garratt

I’ve said repeatedly that racism will result in a ban. Who’s being racist? Why do you keep suggesting that I’m letting people be racist on here? Show me the racism and I’ll ban people.

#133 11 months ago
  134. Patrick Garratt

Or just fucking mail me, hey. It’s my 40th birthday today. I’m going to eat some cake. Send all the racism to patrick@vg247.com.

#134 11 months ago
  135. zinc

Moderation is all well & good until it’s your mates being banned eh?

#135 11 months ago
  136. DrDamn

Happy Birthday Pat :D

#136 11 months ago
  137. Deacon

LOL – Happy motherfunkin Birthday Patrick! :D

#137 11 months ago
  138. G1GAHURTZ

WHOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!

CONGARATZ, PAT!

The big four-O!

Why didn’t you say something??

#138 11 months ago
  139. Beta

Happy Birthday Pat. ;)

#139 11 months ago
  140. zinc

@134, The cake is a lie!!

Old pun, for an old guy ;-)

Happy Birthday :-P

#140 11 months ago
  141. viralshag

Jeez, you’re 40? You don’t look a day under 43… :) Happy Birthday!

Can say Da Man is bit of a dick sometimes, can’t recall any homophobic or racist remarks. I don’t really have any problems with him either.

#141 11 months ago
  142. Ireland Michael

@129 So let me get this straight…

Racism: Unacceptable
    Homophobia: Unacceptable
    Sexism: Hit and miss
    Bullying: Acceptable
    Harassment: Acceptable
    Demeaning people: Acceptable
    Equating people to retards: Acceptable

He’s not just “being a bit of a prick”. GIGA is the sort of member who is a “bit of a prick” from time to time, but I have no issue with him because he’s actively engaged with the community and respectful to most people. Da Man isn’t. He actively demeans countless members on an almost daily basis.

#142 11 months ago
  143. viralshag

This is fun…

In a pin the ban on a racist kinda way…

#143 11 months ago
  144. Lengendaryboss

Happy Birthday Pat i kinda feel sorry for you having to put up with all these complains or demands so it seems :D on this particular day.

#144 11 months ago
  145. Fin

Alright man, chill.

#145 11 months ago
  146. Ireland Michael

@145 I am chill. I’m just making an observation.

#146 11 months ago
  147. Beta

Party games including: Pin the ban on the racist and the homophobia debate. ;)

Sounds like my 17th.. ;p

#147 11 months ago
  148. Deacon

@143 – lol!

‘a bit of a dick’… wow, seriously?

Considering DM’s targets, it stand to reason that some won’t mind him being here. I dare say fans of a certain flavour love having him around!

And thus, life goes on.

Might as well give it up Michael. I can see where Pat and Dave are coming from. I’m not here every day like I used to be and I don’t actively promote VG247 to people I know based primarily on the presence of people like Da Man.

It’s ludicrous that he’s still ‘at large’, imo. It’s to VG247′s detriment that he’s still here. But then it’s all just words on the internet at the end of the day.

I’d just love to know what goes on inside the head of someone like that…..

#148 11 months ago
  149. Samoan Spider

We’re all free to have opinions but as I’ve said before, freedom of speech doesn’t mean what a lot of people think it means.
    At least that certain someone got a smack from the permanent ban hammer of doom but like a weed, they’ll be back. I remember him saying to me once that ‘we don’t need people like you around here’ but it seems that plenty didn’t want him around either :)
    Glad action was taken but this is definitely why an ignore button is required and I’m looking forward to the site revision.

Oh and I’m with Michael on this whilst we’re picking :P

#149 11 months ago
  150. lexph3re

Ironically, TEA doesn’t use alts he only comes to this site as TEA

#150 11 months ago
  151. Beta

@149 +1 to basically everything you said. :D

#151 11 months ago
  152. viralshag

@148, Well that’s it, I can only comment on what I have actively seen and experienced. I’ve had “heated debates” or pointless arguments with a few people on here but I don’t really care for them to get banned.

I don’t pay much attention to what some people write so it’s very possible I have missed the reasons for wanting him banned.

#152 11 months ago
  153. Mjorh

152 Comments 4 a rumour ! wow! D! get over it guyz b4 bloodbath or sth happens ! D!

#153 11 months ago
  154. GwynbleiddiuM

OK, I felt like to paste this here as people seem to have a misunderstanding about what Homophobia is:

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, and may be based on irrational fear.

This is sufficient enough to leave no room for doubt that what TEA said was completely undefendable. That said, I do have issue with the extent of his punishment, but it isn’t my business how VG247 wants to

BUT, when it comes to Da Man, he is as offensive as TEA was. We are talking about a person who describes people as deprived fat nerds on a daily basis.

@G1GA “Well, I’ve seen Islamophobia and racism galore, over the years, but I’ve not called for those people to be banned.”

I assume that is directed at me, well, I’m sorry that you feel bad when I talk about the religion of peace, the religion of tolerance, the religion that would find and execute innate apostates because Allah commands it. I’m sorry that you are offended when I talk about your offensive religion that is after my head just because I’m an Atheist.

sorry if I went overboard with this last comment but the phrase “Islamophobia” infuriates me beyond the point of reason, because it’s just outright bullshit. I’m an anti-theist, yet I have no hatred toward the people who are religious, only those who commit violence on behalf of their religion and inconvenience other people’s rights just because their religion allows them to, and Islam is the pioneer of defiling human rights all around the world.

#154 11 months ago
  155. G1GAHURTZ

^ I wasn’t talking about you.

I hardly ever read what you write.

#155 11 months ago
  156. monkeygourmet

This escalated quickly…

#156 11 months ago
  157. Joe Musashi

@66: Simply put, the reason the majority of the people that call for bans all the time are also the people that most deserve them is because those people are desperately trying to get rid of people that hold an opposing view or that they have a personal grudge against. They’re hoping they can get what they want either through intimidation, bullying or smearing them, or by ban hammer.

This is a very good point. I’ve witnessed a number of little campaigns of this nature. Deliberately twisting events and projecting agendas onto others. I don’t think it’s going to be stamped out, but it’s comforting to know that others can see what’s gone on.

As for the main thrust of the comments:

Consistent moderation is successful moderation. Whatever the rules are. Whatever principles you run the site by. Whatever it is – if you’re not consistent then you fracture the community’s view. VG247 staff: if you’ve read these comments then you can see that people feel a consistent approach is not being applied. The comments speak for themselves. As good as your intentions may be the behaviour witnessed in this discussion is evidence of how the community feels. Lack of resources or tech may be valid reasons, but that’s merely a response – it’s not an answer.

To those requesting an ignore button: you already have it. Try the “Page Down” key on your keyboard. Or just hit the space-bar. Chances are the offending material will disappear from your eyes. :)

And as I mentioned in the Gadzooks-farewell departure topic: everyone is always accusing everyone else of bad behaviour. It’s always the other guy’s fault. It’s always the other guy that needs to get banned/given a warning/change their views. Whilst everyone thinks this way, nothing will change. If you care enough about change, you’ll start by looking at your own behaviour before pointing fingers. If you’re not prepared to do that, then you have no reason to expect anyone else to.

And finally: contrary to popular belief, internet communities are not democracies. They are dictatorships. You can kid yourself that that’s not true but the true power is in the hands of the few at the top – not the masses below.

JM

PS: Happy Birtday Pat.

#157 11 months ago
  158. GwynbleiddiuM

@155 Not that I care but you’re lying. There are quite a few instances you did reply to what I wrote on the matter of religion wether it was brought up by someone else or me on the forum or the comment section.

#158 11 months ago
  159. monkeygourmet

Agree, and by proxy agree with how @66 put it.

#159 11 months ago
  160. Stephany Nunneley

Can we move this discussion over to the forums please?

Thanks.

#160 11 months ago
  161. G1GAHURTZ

@158:

1. I don’t lie.

2. If I did talk to you about religion, it was a long time ago.

#161 11 months ago
  162. salarta

THIS JUST IN, SEND ALL RACISM TO PAT. Alongside those risque photos of him.

@157: I can see it go on because I’m usually the target. I care a great deal about various subjects, people get angry that I’m so vocal and do anything they can to try to silence me out of desperation. Many try to frame my complaints as being overbearing and repetitive, yet that attitude of “you’re too repetitive” is never said if the person is fanboying or fangirling over a product or company. Apparently, gushing like crazy and acting like a particular game is the best thing ever ad nauseum is fine, but saying a game sucks and stating what’s wrong with it in equal proportion is “too much.” If “I’m sick of hearing your complaints” is sufficient reason to silence someone, then “I’m sick of hearing your praise” may as well be too to keep it equal.

#162 11 months ago