Nintendo eShop EU: Super Metroid for 30p and Super Mario Bros 2 lead the week

Monday, 13th May 2013 11:12 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo has revealed its weekly list of eShop downloads, starring a 30pm download of SNES classic Super Metroid, and Wii U Virtual Console ports of Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts.

Wii U has a lot of content this week, kicking off a free demo of Resident Evil: Revelations from May 14, and Wii U Virtual Console downloads of Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts at from €4.99 / £3.49 and €7.99 / £5.49 respectively. Both will launch on May 17.

You can also download Super Metroid on Wii U Virtual Console for just €0.30 /£0.30 from May 16 until June 14 at 23:59 CEST.

In 3DS land, from May 16 you can download the first GUILD 02 game The Starship Damrey and a Virtual Console download of Mega Man 5 at €7.99 / £7.19 and €4.99 / £4.49 respectively.

Then from May 17 you can grab Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity at €39.99 / £34.99.

Indie releases on 3DS see Retro Pocket launch on May 16 at €4.99 / £4.49, and Planet Crashers 3D will be discounted from €9.99 / £8.99 to €6.99 / £6.29 until May 30.

Finally, BIT.TRIP Presents Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien will be discounted on Wii U from €11.99 / £10.79 to €8.99 / £8.00 until May 30.

See anything you like? Let us know below.

1. Fin

Just wondering, why do people complain about the cost of DLC/microtransactions/whatever, but don’t complain about Nintendo charging €5 for a game that was released 25 years ago and €8 for a game that was released 22 years ago.
    Definition of price gouging if you ask me.

2. mistermogul

@1 – You have obviously not read any of my posts as I have complained about their rip-off pricing many many times.

I think £1.50 for NES and £3 for SNES is fair and the current pricing is way too high [Having said that I'm happy to get Super Metroid for 30p!].

Worst though are the ridiculous retail game prices. You can commonly spend up to twice the amount on a retail game from the eshop than you do actually buying the freaking game from a shop!

How on earth does that work when there are no costs from packaging, distribution and retail margins? Digital games should always be cheaper and there are no excuses for them costing more…

It’s a complete rip off and frankly Nintendo are taking the piss.

3. The_Red

Super Metroid is worth more than most current gen AAA games cost but not this one, not the bad 50hz rush job Nintendo has done for this classic.

4. mistermogul

@3 – Agree but wasn’t the Euro version originally optimised to play at a similar speed to the US version?

5. DrDamn

Didn’t they release the NTSC 60Hz versions of other stuff though? Did they confirm this is the 50Hz version?

6. The_Red

Don’t know about that but this isn’t.

That’s strange but I think it’s been confirmed that this SM is 50hz one. True disappointing and kinda heart breaking. Super Metroid is one of very few games ever that can be considered perfect to me.

7. Cobra951

@1: I don’t complain because charging even 1 cent for games I already own, and played decades ago, is an alien concept to me. I have never re-bought an 8/16-bit game, and I can’t see it ever happening. There are enough free and excellent alternatives for playing them to keep me away from that hook.

But I don’t begrudge these IP owners their revenue streams. If they can keep milking the same cow, good for them. People spend money in all sorts of other dumb ways too. Let them. Everyone involved seems to be happy.

8. Bomba Luigi

Super Metroid is a Game where I say its easy worth more than that, i would say buy it – when you don’t have it. If you have the SNES Original (and of course, still own the System to play it), then there is not really a reason.

I still love to play with good old SNES now and then.