NCSoft Q1: Guild Wars 2 sales flatten but profits up

Monday, 13th May 2013 02:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

As new purchases of Guild Wars 2 tail off, publisher NCSoft has noted a dramatic drop in sales revenue – but is still very much back in the black after a few chancy years.

In its Q1 FY2013 report, Korean multi-national recorded total sales of ₩184,875 million, which is a 35% decrease from last quarter but a 31% increase year-on-year.

The quarterly sales decline is nothing to be alarmed by, as it is reactionary to the launch of Guild Wars 2 during the last quarter, which triggered a massive spike.

Still, sales are ongoing, and NCSoft noted that Lineage, Guild Wars 2 and Aion were its strongest performers, with Aion in particular surprising with a sudden upswing when we’d all given up on it. During the quarter, Lineage accounted for 38% of total sales (up from 24%), Guild Wars 2 accounted for 21% (down from a huge 45%), and Aion was responsible for 16% (up from 9%)

As a result of Guild Wars 2′s tail off, sales shifted back to Asia. 64% of all sales originated in Korea 64%, up from a record low 43% in the previous quarter but both North America and Europe dropped drmaatically, from 25% to 13% and 18% to 8% respectively.

The company ended the quarter with operating profit of ₩55,512 million, down 51% from the previous quarter – but up a whopping 348% year on year.

Thanks, Massively.

1. Ownsin

Not surprised about Guild Wars 2 under performing… It’s a dull game with no end content. I wish i never bought it…

2. taylorlauder

The game is basically dead after 3 months.

Good luck for all those who stayed and got swayed.

3. GrimRita

I echo the comments above. Such a shame, as I had high hopes for GW2. I returned recently to find that the game has essentially stood still since launch. Hardly any new items added to the Black Market, some new content and for me, pvp is still a mess.

Good that they are making money though after all the crap with Richard Garriotts shitty Tabula Rasa

4. TheWulf

Eh. It’s not a problem with the game, the game is compelling enough. It’s just that they didn’t hire very good writers — to the contrary, they did have some terrible ones, there. So the mechanics were good, the game was fun, but it wasn’t engaging enough.

Plus, they didn’t go far enough with their themes. The charr and the asura existed in little singularities that had no presence in the outside world, and the asura were turned into a depressing Phantasy Star Online rip-off. This I blame the writers for, entirely, since it was their choice as to how the races were portrayed, since their writers were also their designers to a degree, and they called the shots with how far it went.

WildStar, for example, is the opposite. I like where WildStar is going in regards to story and world, but I’m not convinced of the gameplay (not even remotely). TOR also had a great story, but once again the gameplay was utter tut. And this is where the disconnect occurs, isn’t it?

This is what I’m tired of waiting for, so I’ve given up on MMOs. I want an MMO that has the gameplay of Guild Wars 2 and the story of TOR. But when is it going to happen? How long? Which game?

I really, really enjoyed my time in GW2, but… augh, that writing.

It’s disappointing, really.

And don’t get me started about Trahearne and the writing near the end of the game. A total Mary-Sue and dialogue so bad that it verges on WoW or Engrish-translated Korean MMO levels of bad. That bad. I wanted to kill Trahearne more than I wanted to kill the Elder Dragons. Especially after the death of perhaps the only decently written character in the game (Tybalt).

I guess it was the story I didn’t see coming, you know? In the beta, I had a blast with the professions, the cross-profession combos, the dynamic missions, and the gameplay in general. It still feels great — to me, at least. But I just can’t face another line of that story.

—Edit—

Also? Hunting for secrets and doing jumping puzzles is some of the most fun I’ve had in any MMO.

5. roadkill

Well I have clocked more than 1000 hours in 4 months and I am playing with 3 characters at the moment. I’m still having a blast. I still have so many things to do. WvW, Exploration, sPvP, JPs and guild missions take so much of my time. And I’m part of an incredible and dedicated community. Anet did a good job. WvW has some problems but hopefully they will fix that in the future. We’ll see. Don’t believe what the c**ts 1, 2 and 3 are saying! They’re life is devoid of happiness and they troll all day. Cheers!

6. GrimRita

@5 – truth hurts? If you enjoy pve and all the dull questing that goes with it, then GW2 offers that but for someone like me, who enjoys pvp – GW2 offers very little.

WvW was a blast at first but again, fast forward almost 12 months and its still stale with it being nothing more than a zerg fest. Although I love the concept.

Flat sales is to be expected but they need to do more with the black market . Hell, even Bioware are milking their market with new armour sets and spend your $ packs almost weekly.

7. viralshag

Agree with 1, 2, 3 and 4. I found it to be a dull game with repetitive mechanics, poor WvW and some awful dialog and writing.

Probably my fastest dropped MMO to date. Can’t see myself going back to it anytime soon.

8. Cneertse

I love the people who continuously say that Gw2 is a dull and boring game that has a repetite combat system and therefore it is a waste of time. I would really like to know where everyone is getting this information about the game dying after three months given the fact that they are still consistently selling copies and ammased over 3.5 million sold in a mere 9 months. They generate content every two weeks and the game is free to play. Guild wars 2 also has one of the highest metacritic scores ever given to a game pending its 2012 video game of the year accomplishment. Having one of the highest concurrent players for mmos right now, I find it amusing how people say these things without saying anything more then the game is dead. GG naysayers and go play a grind somewhere.

9. Cneertse

Honestly the one truely poor aspect of the game is the story writing. I can’t say more than that as It is a breath of fresh air from other badly art directed gear grinds.

10. the dog

Had to register just to reply to Cneertse. I love people who repond to complaints like they’re confused. I’ve logged in thousands of hours on GW1 and pre bought GW2. I couldn’t stand it from the beginning. They turned it into a standard mmo, of which I don’t play. It bored me to tears after just a few days. And actually, they started strong but are loosing ground fast. I talk to tons of them who are returning to 1 for one reason or another. It’s not dying,,,,,,,,yet.
    I am a solo player and it feels to me that every chance they get they try to force you to join with others. Those so called dynamic events were repetitive and stale (at least to me). 2 isn’t solo friendly like 1 was. They basically got rid of everything my friends and I liked, and added stuff that totally ruined the game for me. I’m replaying 1 and having a much better time then I ever did on 2 and I’m finding more and more people returning as well.
    You can defend it all you want, but go back go 1 and talk to people. You’ll find them deserting 2 in droves.
    Your breath of fresh air smell more like passed gas. Not fresh or pleasing.

#10 1 year ago