Ken Levine writing new game, cites Mad Men, Coen Brothers as influence

Monday, 13th May 2013 15:05 GMT By Dave Cook

BioShock: Infinite creator Ken Levine has started penning his next game, and has cited 1960s drama Mad Men and the work of the Coen Brothers as key inspirations in his general day-to-day writing.

Levine posted his comments on Twitter this afternoon. Here’s how the exchange went down:

So there you go, he’s writing a new game. It’s a scant one, but I’m sure that this will come as good news to BioShock and Levine fans in general.

Any guesses as to what he might be working on? Is it time to put BioShock out to pasture, or could you happily return to its world?

Thanks Gamespot.

1. Erthazus

I just hope that the next game will be something like System Shock 2. bioshock games are terrible compared to System Shock games.

Terrible narrative POS’s with average gameplay and average exploration. Infinite was just a linear mainstream POS that is called FPS right now.

I want inventory, skills and DECENT MAP.

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

Meh. I hope his writing improves. I think Ken is overrated as a writer.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Samoan Spider

@1 I agree for the most part. I can’t say that the Bioshock games were terrible because I had fun with them, but they weren’t a patch on System Shock 2 and I’ve had some amazing nostalgic fun with that game over this weekend. Seeing it on steam has brought back the love. The complexity of the levels and the progressive insanity of Shodan is the perfect recipe for some ass-clenching game play!

#3 1 year ago
  4. macronia

I don’t understand why u guys hate bioshock infinite .. i think the game was very good and story was great also same with bioshock 1 (hated bioshock 2 but still decent game).. Ken is good writer .. to be honest bioshock was the only game i truly enjoyed playing it from the start till the end .. at least better than any other game came this year .. felt very bored with every single one of them (play only on PC) .. for me i loved bioshock infinite and i wish games be more focused on Single player with very good story

#4 1 year ago
  5. Malmer

Hope he gets rid of the whole “tell, don’t show” aspect with Bioshock’s audio logs. The most of infinite felt like you never participated in anything – only got told about things that had happened – until the actual ending. But then, while good story and all, it was linear with no choice or consequence of previous actions (like in the underrated Kevine-less Bioshock 2 where actions really mattered).

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

@5: “The most of infinite felt like you never participated in anything ā€“ only got told about things that had happened ā€“ until the actual ending.”

Yep, that’s pretty much Bioshock 1 in a nutshell too.

#6 1 year ago
  7. PEYJ

Loved everything about Bioshock:Infinite: the dynamic backround stories (audio logs) the leben of the city, the story, the voice acting, the balance between slow down and gun fights. Game of the year for me, so far.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

You guys only mention Mad Men and Coen Bros, but there’s more names in the tweet..

#8 1 year ago
  9. karma

BS:I was too different to its predecessors for my tastes. I didn’t get on well with it at all. So knowing it’s unlikely they’ll be able to get back to the more challenging, complex design days of System Shock and the original Bioshock, then I hope the Bioshock games are done for now.

Time to move on to something new, at least until Ken and team can come back and do the shock legacy of games justice again. Which right now, given the current climate of dumbed down triple A’s, they obviously can’t.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Coheno

Ohhh shiiiii…..can’t wait!

#10 1 year ago
  11. dkpunk

System Shock 2 was a great game for it’s day but doesn’t have anything on BS1 or Infinite. I played both SS1 and 2 and I can safely say that new entries in the series offer a superior narrative as well as gameplay. The nostalgic hard on for System Shock 2 is baffling at times. People blinded so much by their love of the old “masterpiece” that they simply can’t see any other game doing what the original did and better. Daggerfall was the best Elder Scrolls game because it had the biggest environment! You want an FPS with RPG-like elements? Go play Deus Ex.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Samuel

Those all sound like great influences to me. Always eager to see whatever he does next.

And I am eagerly awaiting news on the Infinite DLC, holding off on getting the season pass though before I know what they will be.

#12 1 year ago