Watch Dogs footage shows hacking, combat, car chase

Sunday, 12th May 2013 23:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Six minutes of edited Watch Dogs footage gives us our first proper look at the game in action since trade event demonstrations.

Although it’s not clear where the GamesHQ video came from, it is said to show footage captured from a PC of PlayStation 4-level power – although even at the highest available quality the video is marred by compression. The demonstrator is using an Xbox 360 controller, apparently.

I think the car chase section is particularly worth a look, as for all its open-world experience Ubisoft Montreal hasn’t done a lot of vehicle action work; I suspect we’re seeing Ubisoft Reflections’ hand here, thanks to the publisher’s multi-studio approach.

Watch Dogs is expected on PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and the next Xbox console later this year.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. JackThomas

I can’t see any video, just a big empty space.

2. Brenna Hillier

I just checked the embed and it seems fine. Have you tried refreshing? I generally find force-closing Flash and screaming at the screen fixes everything.

3. JackThomas

Screamed and it worked! looks awesome, we need more true open world sandbox games like this, thanks Ubisoft for bringing it out to the forefront

4. El_MUERkO

HUD everywhere all the time, don’t think just follow the icons, shit draw distance, shit vehicle physics, this is not the future I’m looking for.

5. Lightmanone

2014?
    Eh.. no? 21st of November 20-13-.. not 2014.

What? you don’t believe me? Fine:

Check it out for yourself.

6. Brenna Hillier

Fixed. Don’t get your panties in a twist.

7. Erthazus

F THIS S.

So basically Ubisoft lied to us at E3. It looks like a current gen game with ok visuals, vehicles with physics from True Crime games… With Assassins Creed gameplay, horrible draw distance, bloom effect everywhere…

Game looked so much better at E3 last year. So much better. I mean it looked 10000 times better and more interactive with fantastic visuals.
    I just hope that what we saw was from Xbox 360… or PS3… Whatever. It’s not looking that great.

8. Phoenixblight

Because they were using a super machine and not on a build that the game was going to be sold on. THis is what Ubisoft has done with all their games. This is being ran on the console version in build that is much closer to what it will be on release. Derp

9. Erthazus

Watch Dogs demo from E3 does not require a super machine at all. It was visually impressive, but there was nothing groundbreaking in visuals. No shadow Bokeh and other hard stuff.
    Just crisp high end textures with reflections, good animations, good draw distance – like any multiplatform game on the PC right now.

Anyway, game is not that impressive at all. Last year it was just gorgeous as F. I think so far what is decent is interactivity but that’s it… Everything else is…. meh.

10. Brenna Hillier

The uploader claims this footage was taken on a next-gen equivalent PC, but that doesn’t mean the build used was appropriate for that system.

11. Phoenixblight

Ubisoft themself said it was using a machine that was out of reach by typical users. That is what they said. Ubisoft did the same thing with Far Cry 3.

12. Erthazus

I’m actually more surprised at vehicle physics and destruction. I expect a fiasco at the similar level like with Assassins Creed 1 but this time, journalists won’t be too generous.

@11, “Ubisoft did the same thing with Far Cry 3.”

More or less Far Cry 3 demo looked the same on my PC as their demos on stage.

13. Phoenixblight

Uh huh.. Try again.

14. DSB

Looks like just another game where you do outrageous things to an AI that barely fights back.

I’m kinda glad it’s not next-gen, that wouldn’t bode well. There’s a world of difference between stacking flashy gimmicks and actually offering intelligent gameplay.

15. Phoenixblight

Not sure how you gauged that with 80% of the demo the protagonist is hacking. Then some of it being stealth. The only part where he interacts with the NPCs, face to face, is when he buys something which the clerk was about to grab a weapon based on the TV showing the protagonist which the player then pulls out a weapons points at the clerk who then reacts. THe rest of the demo after that was car chases.

16. Templar_Dante

I loved GTA 4s driving physics..
    I HATED Sleeping Dogs driving physics (loved the game overall though)
    I was worried when Jonathan Morin said the team that handled Driver San Francisco will be responsible for the driving physics in watch dogs..
    He went further and said that means we can expect a great simulation for the driving aspect,..
    What? …
    This video confirms my worst suspicions..
    Driving physics suck.

17. The_Red

I honestly can’t believe how fun this game looks. Sure, graphically it doesn’t feel really next-gen but goddamit, everything seems fun. Hopefully the final game lives up to these promising videos.

18. Erthazus

@12, Uh-uh. As I said. More or less the game looked the same on my PC. It was staged at Ubisoft, but the game was close to E3 look.

19. roadkill

Wow! Looking very good! :)

20. SlayerGT

@1:20 He hacks a folklift and the guards response is, “Dog maybe?”. These are the little details I think slip through the cracks at big devs, especially Ubi. Little details that would make the experience better, if paid attention to. It very well could be because its an early build or something but I’ll give you an example from a game they’ve done recently, in Assassins Creed 3. In the very beginning of AC3 you’re put on a boat. For tutorial reasons you get into a fist fight. You go to sleep that evening and the game cuts to “72 days later”, where the first conversation you have is with the guy you fought (72 days ago) asking if you want to go at it again..my brother watching me play, turned to me and said, “y’all should be fucking friends by now.” Not to mention I was wearing the same clothing, I don’t have any facial hair, etc. It just feels thinly spread. Its probly something no one else notices..obviously or they’d improve it I guess.

21. jamesx

Video no longer avaliable

“Watch Dogs…” The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.