Microsoft promotes first female CFO Amy Hood

Friday, 10th May 2013 09:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has promoted its first female chief financial officer. Amy Hood will succeed Peter Klein with immediate effect, and has previously been a pivotal name at the company, having handled its acquisition of Skype and much more.

GI.biz reports that Klein will oversee Hood’s transition into the role until the end of next month.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said of Hood’s appointment, “Amy brings the right talents and experiences to the role as we continue to strengthen our focus on devices and services. She has been an instrumental leader in the Microsoft Business Division, helping lead the transition to services with Office 365 and delivering strong financial and operational management throughout her time on the business.”

Previously, Hood was CFO of Microsoft’s Business Division, which is currently valued at $24.1 billion, and before that she has held many roles within the company, including leader of the strategy and business development team in MBD.

Hood said of her appointment, “I’m excited to step into this role and look forward to working closely again with our investors and shareholders. Peter has built a world-class finance team, and I am set up well to continue the company’s strong discipline around costs and focus on driving shareholder value.”

1. Wertisdk

And why is it relevant at all that Microsoft promotes a female to CFO?
    I mean, you wouldn’t have a headline saying “Microsoft promotes yet another male CFO Hulk Hogan”.

If Microsoft ever promotes Hulk Hogan to anything, I expect a story on it though.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Because it’s a positive story at a time where gender inequality in game and tech companies is a frequently discussed, prevalent issue.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Wertisdk

@Dave
    But keeping this kind of focus on females in game and tech companies just serves to amplify that it is something that should be regarded as special.

That’s my opinion at least.

My boss is female and I am a developer, but I don’t think of her as anything special other than being just my boss. Isn’t that the core of equality? That someone get’s no special treatment at all just because of his or her gender…

#3 1 year ago
  4. FeaturePreacher

Hey, maybe she can do something like Marissa Meyer did at Yahoo and force her workers to work at the corporate headquarters instead of from home. Women sure know how to make it harder for other women to work.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Yoshi

@3 That’s exactly my thoughts on this whole equality deal right now. However, this just proves women will never be equal as they themselves don’t act as equals to men when stuff like this is promoted and the most obvious is the over-sexuality nature of a women knowing that that’s a mans weakness.

#5 1 year ago