Microsoft hesitant to release rumored Xbox TV set-top in competitive market – report

Friday, 10th May 2013 16:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft is on the fence regarding the release of its Xbox TV set-top box, according to a new report.

Rumors surrounding an set-top box from Microsoft have been around for ages, and even Steve Ballmer discussed the possibility of the firm getting into the TV space in some shape or form. Back in 2011, the former CEO banged on about how Xbox TV, through XBL, was just the start of offering content other than games on the Xbox console.

Today, the Wall Street Journal has published a report stating that Microsoft is still testing out the product, which it planned to release this fall alongside its new “Infinity” console, but it is still unsure whether to release it or not due to the possibility it could cannibalize its own products; or be able to compete with the competition already on the market.

The set-top box is rumored to be one of two-SKUs releasing this fall, and that XTV would be a “multiplatform ecosystem allowing users to finish television episodes they were previously watching on their train ride home,” wrote Superannuation at the time.

This was also mentioned in the 56-page manifesto which was leaked last year.

We’ll find out for sure in the next two weeks, as the firm is set to reveal a “new generation of games, TV and entertainment” on May 21.

You can keep track of all the rumors through here.

1. SlayerGT

I have this feeling in my gut that MS is scrambling a bit. Is it just from all these efing rumors? That report about them pulling a 180 on W8 certainly doesn’t help.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Djoenz

Games and entertainment is one thing but TV come on ..pff.
    Whats next a built-in radio tuner?

#2 11 months ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

Its all part of Microsoft’s aim, which if delivered successfully could capture the causal audience.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Klaxusprime

The true news for us gamers are buried inside the WSJ story:

While Microsoft’s plans for the set-top box are uncertain, the company still is laying the groundwork to ease the creation of applications and games. Several people familiar with Microsoft’s development efforts said the company has been telling teams to write programs using coding standards that Microsoft recently developed. The idea, the people said, was to make it easy to write a program that can work on an Xbox, a smartphone or a Windows personal computer running Microsoft’s software.

Windows 8 as PC, mobile and console OS… interesting

#4 11 months ago
  5. Djoenz

Bro you did it again :P CAUSAL hehe. Yeah man I know them video streaming apps are big business in the States and in UK, but problem is here in the Netherlands we dont get that shit…..

Anyway with smart TV’s and all you really think this is a wise business move?

Its interesting indeed. However the current apps from Windows store are unbelievable lame. Android and IOS are way better. Microsoft will have its own dedicated interconnection but will be it any good.

I saw an app on windows store about a photo editing program being free WOW! I checked the comments and people said after downloading it you’ll be directed to buy the program full price 800 bucks. So its misleading. Just a marketing tool and they dont even mention it in the description before you download it.

Yeah great and interesting indeed.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

DAMN YOU AUTO-CORRECT :D
    I am not stating its a good business move, but MS must have done research like seeing how much users on XBL use entertainment options and it obviously must be very beneficial for MS to pursue this for the Xbox720 although i am personally against this emphasis on entertainment, i mean who buys a game branded TV set box when there are more popular options.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Da Man

Do not pay for PSN+, after downloading the rentals you’ll have to pay $599*.

*not really but all the games will be gone.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Mjorh

What a Xbox TV set-top does ? i’d appreciate an explanation .

#8 11 months ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

^ You might find out in 11 days…

#9 11 months ago
  10. Stephany Nunneley

I already have Dishnet. I don’t need another set-top box, and I can watch Hulu on my lappy in bed if I like. Surely it will be more than just a sub-channel box if they want to push it.

#10 11 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

I have an Acer Revo:

Controlled via iPad / iPhone makes an absolutely kick ass XBMC player. Highly recommended, although you can prob do the same with a lot less cash now that Rasberry Pi and machines like that are out now.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

@10+11
    See you two have comfortable, amazing alternatives which previously stated are popular options, Microsoft need to have something completely unique inside the box to attract users like you and me and marketing should be no issue.

#12 11 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Defiantly, I think Kinect 2.0 will play a big part although I’m not quite sure I’ll like that.

XBMC with iPad is basically what MS copied for its Netflix / Smartglass app. It’s such a nice way to view media but it would be nice to see even more innovation with the next Xbox.

With all this easy media, I do fear I’m getting one step closer to those fat humans in Wall-e! ;)

#13 11 months ago
  14. POOP CRUSTY

Miss the old days when consoles just played games.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

Me too honestly, but as the technology we have advances people expect entertainment/gaming options with consoles, its a nice extra but MS is focusing way too much on it, lets hope they prove me wrong in 11 days.

#15 11 months ago