Dead Space: John Carpenter keen on movie adaptation

Thursday, 9th May 2013 02:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

John Caprenter, famed director of such cult classics as The Thing, Assault on Precinct 13, and Vampires, has said Dead Space is “ready-made” for a Hollywood adaptation.

“It’s great,” Carpenter said of Dead Space in the latest issue of GameInformer, as harvested by Videogamer.

“The first game was more – I guess it was like Alien – but not quite. It was a little different than that. I maintain that Dead Space would just make a great movie because you have these people coming onto an abandoned, shut-down space ship and they have to start it up and something’s on board. It’s just great stuff.

“I would love to make Dead Space [into a film], I’ll tell you that right now. That one is ready-made.”

As an interesting aside, Carpenter said he’d purchased Aliens: Colonial Marines and was quite disappointed in it.

EA hasn’t made any noise about a Dead Space film, although it’s shopped other properties around, including Need for Speed.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. BLD

He also did Hallowen. So i think that EA should be honored if a master like Carpenter want to make a film about DS.

(there’s a typo at the beginning: “Caprenter”)

2. Richenbaum

More importantly he did the legendary remake of The Thing, one of the two biggest influences on Dead Space.

On the other hand though, its been almost 20 years since he released a really good movie.

3. BLD

@2 The Ward(2010) is a quite good movie and he’s also the screenwriter of Assault on precinct 13 remake(2005) that is a good movie…

4. Richenbaum

I love the guy’s old stuff to death, I even liked Ghosts of Mars and Vampires, though I think they were some of his weaker works, but The Ward just didn’t do it for me at all.

5. The_Red

If J Carpenter of 1970s and 80s was behind this, I would have been 100 percent stoked. Now I’m not so sure. Ghosts of Mars anyone?

6. diego-rbb-93

5# Right here. I loved Ghost of Mars and I was thinking about it while reading these news.

Beyond that, I dont think EA or the studio that have bought the movie license, its gonna take him for the movie. But… We can always have ilusions.

7. OnionPowder

He also made one of the greatest movies ever, Escape From New York. That and They Live are action movie masterpieces.