Sony celebrates 15 years of Gran Turismo

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 17:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEE is celebrating the 15th anniversary Gran Turismo by hosting an event at Silverstone Circuit in the UK, where Kazunori Yamauchi is set to discuss the future of the series.

Does this mean there’s a Gran Turismo 6 in your future? Maybe. Sony isn’t saying just yet.

The original Gran Turismo was release in Japan during December, 1997, after being in development for five years. It was released to the rest of the world during 1998, and the franchise went on to become the biggest-selling PlayStation title ever.

According to Sony, Yamauchi will provide an update on the future of the Gran Turismo game at Silverstone, and five Gran Turismo gamers turned GT Academy champions will be on hand at Silverstone as well to show off their “real-world racing skills with some high-speed passenger laps around the famous circuit.”

The 15th anniversary celebration will be held May 15, and you can keep track of the festivities through the game’s official website, Twitter, and the PS Blog.

1. Lengendaryboss

GT6, you heard it here first folks. May 15th, My B-day the perfect date.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Belmont

GTPlanet is in fireworks now !! They are already discussing about the car that is supposedly going to be under that blue cloth. I’m really excited about this. GT5 is the best racing game I have ever played. So bring it on !

#2 1 year ago
  3. Da Man

15 years of refreshing innovation, endless originality and clever improvements in the genre..

#3 1 year ago
  4. Eddie Rodrigues

@2 It has been a while that I’ve seen someone that actually gave GT5 a chance. It is my favotrite racing simulator, though all time racing game is either NFS Carbon or Trackmania²

#4 1 year ago
  5. SlayerGT

Love me some GT..my namesake :P oh how I wish they’d bring back used wheels..i loved putting my M3CSL wheels on my 2002 Turbo :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Belmont

I understand why you don’t see people standing for GT5 that often. It had a few flaws that were noticeable. Like premium and standard cars and engine sounds. But in overall it was an amazing feat with visuals,physics and handling. and oh…Photo Travel !

#6 1 year ago
  7. fihar

As if the countup at the end of the video isn’t hint enough. A GT6 announcement with a gameplay trailer set in Silverstone, how predictable.
    Which leaves us with an important question, PS3 or PS4?

I wonder what sort of diabolical machine will PD come up with after the Red Bull X2010 and the GT by Citroen.
    My only hope is that the Veneno, the LaFerrari and the P1 will all somehow make it into the game.

This completely underlines the irrelevance of E3, Gamescom and TGS though. Why bother competing with other developers when you can have your own private show?

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps3fanboy

so will we finally be able to buy the complete edition of gt5 with all the patches and dlc on disc now?

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

@8 That’s already available.

#9 1 year ago