Killzone: Shadow Fall has the Helghast living next door

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 06:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In the 30 years between the end of Killzone 3 and the start of Killzone: Shadow Fall, the Helghast have set up shop on the next planet over from the Vectan’s homeworld.

The news was harvested by Gaming Everything from the June issue of GameInformer, which is already available digitally.

If you know your Killzone lore, you’ll be aware that the Helghast and the Vectan have never been on good terms, so you won’t be surprised to learn that the two cultures are experiencing some “tension” now that they’re neighbours.

The game kicks off on the Vectan planet where, if the preview we saw at the PlayStation 4 reveal is anything to go by, all hell quickly breaks loose.

Outside of lore, the preview also notes that Guerrilla wanted to expand on Killzone’s mechanics and do something a bit different; an example of this is that you can now change weapon modes, as when a short-range weapon converts to long range.

We’re expecting Shadow Fall to release close to the PlayStation 4′s launch window, around the holiday season.

Thanks, NeoGAF.

1. KAP

It wasn’t until I watched that gameplay footage of Shadow fall a few times when I noticed actually there’s a huge wall seperating the two factions from each other. It’s really smartly done and makes for a unique tension within the game. Can’t wait for it.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Templar_Dante

Looking foward to it.
    I enjoyed KZ1…
    I loved KZ2…
    but 3… the script writing disappointed.. it was bad.
    Looking foward to Shadow Fall.. they seem to have a whole Israel-Palestine conflict going on here.

#2 12 months ago
  3. machy

kZ2 was gr8 .. kz3 suxed badly, and kz:sf will know whn it’s lunches and i get my hands on it :)

#3 12 months ago
  4. Digital Bamboo

^I hope KZ:SF is more uncertain whether it’s breakfast or lunch, a brunch-based FPS would be good for the genre.

#4 12 months ago
  5. fengato

Agreed that K3 campaign was lacking, though the controls were great.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Templar_Dante

Well, on the multiplayer front, would love for them to take it to a whole new level.
    With the Resistance franchise dead, would love for them to be a Halo-esq take on the PS brand side.
    Larger maps,
    More players in MP
    Vehicles.
    But keep the heavy KZ3 controls through it all.
    Seeing as this is set 30 years after KZ3, the tech advancements could make a multiplayer with vehicles incredible. Ground and Air combat, Imagine, with the Exo mechs too :)
    Oh, I can dream.

#6 12 months ago
  7. BrahManDude

I hope you can TAKE COVER in the Multiplayer since it’s next gen that would make it a console seller for me anyways

#7 12 months ago
  8. DrDamn

Agree, but I think it was more of a design choice they made. Can see why they made it, but prefer a cover based mp shooter.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Bill_E_Talent

Yeah, I also felt let down by the KZ3 campaign. The weak narrative, inclusion of on-rails set pieces, the awful ending, all really disappointing.
    I loved the KZ2 campaign, that was a fantastic SP. I particularly liked those parts wherein the Helghast would spawn infinitely until you literally pushed them back by moving the line forward. The Helghast were really aggressive and it was difficult and incredibly rewarding, but I can’t think of a single moment in KZ3 that gave me that kind of thrill. The other thing that I think really hurt the KZ3 was enabling Rico to revive the player, that dumbed down the difficulty dramatically. You could play like a complete idiot and the majority of the time he would get you back up.
    My other major gripe would have to be the removal of the spawn grenade and essentially turning the Tactician class into a glorified babysitter. That and giving the recon class a silenced automatic weapon that could be used without breaking cloak. WTF were you thinking GG?
    Nonetheless, I still have high hopes for Shadowfall.

#9 12 months ago