Injustice: Gods Among Us joins the EVO 2013 line-up

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 09:28 GMT By Alex Donaldson

The organizers behind the world’s premiere fighting game tournament Evolution have announced that Injustice: Gods Among Us will join the game line-up at the event – so the game will have its first world champion.

Jory ‘Mr. Wizard’ Cuellar revealed the news on the latest edition of the ‘Wakeup Shoryuken’ podcast, announcing that Netherrealm Studios’ latest will join the current line-up, making EVO a whopping nine games deep.

Injustice was previously skipped over in the initial EVO game list, the organizers opting to give Mortal Kombat a ‘final farewell’ instead.

Now both will feature at the tournament alongside Super Smash Bros Melee, Persona 4 Arena, King of Fighters XIII, Street Fighter X Tekken 2013, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition. It is by far and away the largest number of games to feature at the event.

EVO takes place between July 12th and 14th at the Paris Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, and will be streamed online for all to see. Will you be watching? Let us know in the comments below.

1. The_Red

Nice. From what I’ve played from it, this could go either way. Some of the stuff feels ripe for exploitation / spamming while other moments feel balance and deep.

Still, beyond EVO and pro gaming needs, the gameplay is rather fun.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Alex Donaldson

Hopefully they actually think this through long and hard scheduling-wise now. There’s no way they can do 9 games on finals day, unless they split the streams. With 6 games last year finals day massively overran – I remember still being awake at 7am UK time, nearly dead.

It’ll be pretty unfair to the Smash Bros lot if they don’t get to be on the main stream in front of the hundreds of thousands watching online after they donated over $100,000 to charity for the chance… MK, KOF, SFxT and Persona should be booted from finals day, or to a second stream.

That said, glad about this! It gives the game a competitive chance, at least… not being at Evo, I thought it’d be dead competitively come July. There’s balance problems, mind…

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

From what I’ve gathered, they’re not gonna put all 9 on final day. They’ll be spread around and only 3 to 5 will be on the final.

Disagree about Smash Bros though. I understand what you mean about the donations but to me, the main / final streams should be about the most exciting games. Those including KOF and Persona IMO (And to some degree MK9 though that’s mostly because of my crush on this game).

But yeah, Injustice needs some serious balancing to be done. A lot of environmental elements have to be disabled and some characters need tweaking. Otherwise, we could end up with boring mirror matches.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Alex Donaldson

I just think the finals stream should try to showcase as much variety as possible. Smash is really, genuinely different, and might attract a different audience. Whack it on first. Let them have their moment. Maybe it’ll actually get Nintendo’s notice and convince them to make the next one competition friendly! Harada (Tekken) is consulting on it, after all.

The way I see it, Persona doesn’t have a big enough audience, KOF goes on too long, and only MK OR Injustice (not both) should be on finals day. I think Smash deserves a shout, even if personally I’ll probably be bored by it.

For Injustice, the environment stuff is the biggest problem of all in my eyes. That pig in the overrun Arkham Asylum stage does as much damage as some EX moves, has massive range/speed and costs no meter. It’s mental.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

Hadn’t thought about variety. Good call. Right now, all the “competitive” fighters have become a bit too familiar. Their different design elements usually boils down to the same feeling matches in case of most finals.

Agreed about MK OR Injustice part. I love them both and enjoy their differences but they could end up looking too similar in more intense matches (Juggles logic and reliance on specials).

Yeah, those environmental stuff in Injustice is crazy. Some of those damages are insane. They are really fun but don’t feel right for a competitive, balance-wise mirrored match.
    More than anything in case of Injustice, , I’m looking for crazy mind games that can happen during Wagers / clashes. At first they felt like gimmicky guess games but I’ve had a few genuinely interesting ones.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Armitage Shanks

I am glad that Street Fighter X Tekken is being featured again this year, Looking forward to KoF which was the most exciting top 8 last year in my opinion.And of course looking forward to SSF4 as always.This is cool for Injustice,but like it was said above i do think the game needs some balancing with regards to the interactable’s if it is going to last on the pro competitive scene.

#6 1 year ago