Capcom FY13: Resident Evil 6 sales below projections at 4.9 million units

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 14:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Capcom has released its 2013 fiscal year results and the firm posted a profit of £19.42 million, despite profits being down by 56% year-over-year.

In the Digital Contents business, Resident Evil 6 “sold at a brisk pace initially when it was launched,” said the firm, but sales “subsequently plateaued,” selling 4.9 million units.

“As a result, it did not meet with our projection and thus was not able to play a role in leading the segment’s sales growth,”‘ said the firm in a prepared statement. “In contrast, Dragon’s Dogma became a greater-than-expected hit product in the domestic market, which has high profitability, and became an unprecedented million seller in the recent years as an original title.

“In addition, DmC Devil May Cry enjoyed stable popularity in overseas markets and posted solid sales.”

Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G HD Version for Wii U “also became a smash hit,” However, its package sales were “generally soft.” Additionally, the Monster Hunter Frontier Online series remained “a perennial favorite and continued to bring in stable income.”

As a result, consolidated financial results for the period ended March 31, 2013 increased in net sales but decreased 17% in operating income from the previous year due to increased cost of sales and higher selling, general and administrative expenses. Net income decreased due to special loss relating to the cost of business restructure that was necessitated by the overhaul of the development system.

As for the forecast for the next fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, the firm expects expect high profit, due to directing development resources to the development of online games such as mobile, PC online and downloads for consumer games. The firm called this a “growing area,” and feels the release of “large-scale titles such as Monster Hunter 4 and Lost Planet 3,” focused on the domestic and overseas markets,respectively, will help its bottom line.

You can look over the financials through the link.

1. The_Red

How on earth can Monster Hunter 3U for Wii U be considered “a smash hit” (No chart topping, even in Japan) while RE6 with near 5 million sales is said to be doing below expectations?
    Were their projects for Monster Hunter 3U at 200k units and for RE6 at 7-8million?

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

Of course it didn’t sell as well as expected, it didn’t have Claire and Jill in it. Lawl.

Guess who I am?

Awesome! Looks like a sequel is happening. Can’t wait, so far it is the best game of the year. At least until Metro Last Light and Last of Us will be released.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SameeR_Fisher

and yet no numbers were provided when it comes to Devil may Cry, and they even lowered their expectation to 1.1Million if I recall, I thought DMC sells more than that.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

Last time I checked it sold over a million copies in the first month. After that they stopped publishing numbers. Digital and PC sales not included. Vital, if you consider that the PC Version is the best on the market.

If Capcom says that it sold good, then it probably sold good. What’s to gain from lying about that?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

@3 – I imagine they kept lowering their expectations until it finally hit them. “Look at that, the game sold, way more than the 2,000,000, 1,500,000, 1,000,000, 600,000 we initially predicted!”

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

And no, it didn’t sell over a million copies in the first month. Capcom were expecting to SHIP a million copies.

Actual lifetime sales for the game still put it around 700,000-800,000 worldwide.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

Not to mention, in their report a few weeks back, Capcom said one of their biggest problems was the “overseas outsourcing of key titles.” Hmmmm…what key title could they have possibly meant that underperformed? Couldn’t be Operation: Raccoon City, as that sold rather well for them. Hmmmm… let’s all think hard on this…

#7 1 year ago
  8. macronia

5m and they are sad , btw RE6 was the most boring game i played this year so far , i wish i didn’t even think about getting it :( .

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@7: Oh, the critically acclaimed Operation Raccoon City? Sure. A complete success.

Your desperation is amusing.

#9 1 year ago
  10. SameeR_Fisher

@4: Good point regarding Digital and PC, yet with no real numbers we can’t paint a picture, it performed good of course, but not DMC good, DMC is an old and strong brand, to sell like this is bad for it, also if IIRC Ninja Theory is rumored to be working with Capcom on another project, so there is that as well, they don’t want to serve their relationship -if I had to guess-.

@5,6,7: you are quite right on that, they actually shipped only 1 Million, no word on how many it actually sold, agree with your other comments.

@9: I think you are getting it wrong, I doubt Clupula is denying that Operation Racoon City was bad, heck I played it and it was really bad, but it actually sold quite well (for being so bad), it sold 2 Million unites, google it if you don’t believe me nor him.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dark

” Dragon’s Dogma became a greater-than-expected hit product in the domestic market, which has high profitability, and became an unprecedented million seller in the recent years as an original title.”

YES! , it was a fantastic game well deserved.

now give me a Dragon’s Dogma sequel for next-gen!
    (assuming Deep Down is a new IP)

#11 1 year ago
  12. SplatteredHouse

@1 Digital copies? Note that they mention that packaged goods sales for that title were generally soft. ;)

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

Operation: Raccoon City was fucking awful, but it sold very well. That’s what matters to a company.

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

@10: I think you’re overestimating the brand. This is not Metal Gear, nor God of War. DMC4 only sold so well because it was sold in a console bundle.

@13: Erm, I don’t think so. If it would only be about money, there would already be a Operation Raccoon City 2. The name of the company is important too. If your company is known for selling games like Operation Raccoon City, then you lose some of your credibility. Capcom has praised their work with Ninja Theory multiple times and is probably working on a new project as we speak.

Again, if it sold poorly Capcom would’ve said it.

#14 1 year ago
  15. salarta

Well DmC being considered a success is just fail. That franchise is pretty much a waste now. Then again, maybe it’s just Capcom trying to find some kind of terrible excuse for justifying their work on screwing over the IP. It seems like Capcom goes out of its way to try to ruin the franchises built by great creators that left because they stopped taking the company’s crap.

Which makes for a damn good reason why people that hope to make good new products shouldn’t work for Capcom. What do they have to hope for except to see vindictive corporate tools ruin the work they spent a part of their lives creating and sharing?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

@14 – That is complete and utter bullshit. DMC4 sold as well as it did because people liked the brand. Plain and simple. It was a strong PS2 brand that people were excited to see move into what was then the “Next Gen.” I know, because I still have my steelbook special edition of it and I remember being in line for the game, just like I was for MGS4.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Rafa_L

I think there is no hope left for Resident Evil, as far as I’m concerned. I could be glad it under performed because it might show them they were going in the wrong direction, they could redirect the franchise to a place where I could love it again, but as I said, I don’t see any hope of that at this point.

I’m happy for dragon’s dogma, I didn’t play it, but it looks like an interesting game. I’ll wait a couple of years to see what a sequel brings.

#17 1 year ago
  18. YoungZer0

@17: It looks like they already got the memo. Otherwise what would be the point of making Revelations available to so many platforms?

#18 1 year ago