PS4: Sony may experience shipping issues, claims source – rumour

Tuesday, 7th May 2013 11:33 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 could run in to shipping issues, according to a new report that suggests Sony will fail to hit its planned 12-16 million unit allotment in 2013.

Digitimes reports that a source within the PS4 supply chain has claimed Sony has yet to give them shipment instructions for the console. The site suggests that this may cause a delay in the consoles’s mass shipment timeframe.

The source added that Sony has previously informed its suppliers that PS4 rigs would be shipped out to suppliers in June, with mass shipments beginning in August. Given the volume of said shipments, the source suggested that Sony would have shipped 20 million consoles throughout 2013.

It is now unclear how many PS4′s Sony plans to ship this year, and if this alleged delay will indeed come to pass. We’ll have more as it happens, and we’ve asked Sony for comment.

What do you make of the above?

Thanks LegendaryBoss.

1. Beta

They really can’t afford to have issues like this imo. They need a good launch.

2. SeWICX

When thinking about it, if Sony decides to delay their console launch in Europe.

I will buy the new Xbox, instead of the PS4 at launch.

That’s the biggest issue Sony is facing.

If they let down Europe once again, which is their biggest installbase?
    Perhaps many hardcore gamers like myself will be lost to the new Xbox.

I’m ready to move on to a new console as soon as possible, even though I don’t want the new xbox :P

3. DrDamn

Why would they need 12-16 million in 2013? I know this goes beyond the end of 2013 and indeed end of financial 2013, but still. WiiU has done what 3m in a similar period. Wii did about 5m. There’s optimistic and there’s craziness.

4. Battler624

@#2
    its been said that region 2 is the biggest yes, but if you are talking about europe and whatnot the biggest is the japanese base followed by the middle-eastern.

5. tezzer1985

I agree, I plan to buy PS4, and Watch Dogs, BF4 ect on it, if Sony fail to release the PS4 in the UK, I will buy the Next Gen Xbox instead

It will be a reapeat of this gen, gamers will build their install base on Xbox…and PS4 will be chasing consumers again…typical

6. redwood

video game industry rumors.. the worst thing after the recession

7. DrDamn

If one region is going to take the hit unfortunately I think it’s always going to be Europe. They won’t delay in their home territory and delaying in the US is ceding too much to MS in their home territory. They lost a lot of ground to MS in the US this generation and that is where they have the most to gain. Europe they can take the hit on easiest.

8. SeWICX

It’s ridiciouls. Does sony have an e-mail address I can use to contact them?

I just wanna inform them ONCE again, not to do the same mistake they did back in 2006.

9. Djoenz

@2 & 5
    Willing to buy nextbox when you dont even know anything about the nextbox. -__-

Go buy a PC rig at least online is free.

10. sg1974

Some of you seriously need to calm down. It’s a rumour about something that might happen and if it does might affect the release.

11. ps3fanboy

i have the time to wait, there is a huge amount of new great games coming to the ps3. so if there is a bit of delay, no problem. the guys with an attention span of a 10 year old, good luck with your always on crapbox and the monthly advertise infested xlive gold fee.

12. NightCrawler1970

I hope not, that will a slap in SONY face if they fail in shipping on time and X box will win the market…