Call of Duty Ghosts: ShopTo refuses to stock shooter after row with Activision

Tuesday, 7th May 2013 14:17 GMT By Dave Cook

ShopTo will not sell Call of Duty: Ghosts when it launches later this year, following a dispute with Activision over release dates.

Eurogamer reports that the dispute began as Activision refused the retailer the right to ship Call of Duty games ahead of launch, so that they arrive in time with their release.

Typically, ShopTo would have mailed customers their Call of Duty copy on the Monday or Tuesday so it arrives with gamers on the day of launch, but because Ghosts will launch on a Tuesday this year, the company has decided to boycott the title.

Activision’s retail contract for Black Ops 2 – for example – states that copies could not be shipped until a minute after midnight on November 13, the day of launch. This would effectively mean pre-order customers would receive their copy late. Failure to comply with Activision’s rules may in some cases result in reluctance to stock with the offending retailer again.

Speaking with the site, ShopTo chief Igor Cipolletta said, “Activision’s policy of only allowing e-tailers to despatch one day before release date effectively destroys an e-tailer’s pre-order campaign. This has the undesired effect of previously loyal and satisfied customers thinking that, if we can’t ‘get it right’ for one of the biggest games of the year, why should they trust us with any future orders?

“Their friends and acquaintances, by word of mouth and social media, (despite possibly not having ever ordered from us), would see us (and possibly e-tailers as a whole) as unreliable. This despite all the time and hard work my team and the myriad of other publishers put into other titles during the year.

“Of course this Activision policy is not for every title, but due to the volume and fever pitch Call of Duty seems to generate (both positive and negative), it causes the most damage to us.”

What do you think about ShopTo’s decision, and Activision’s policy? Let us know below.

1. The Auracle

Sound decision making from ShopTo, in my opinion. Good move.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Erthazus

ShopTo are one hell of a badass guys. Respect to them. Not sure that others could do the same because CoD:ghosts is going to be the biggest game despite the quality of it.

#2 12 months ago
  3. OmegaSlayer

Applause to ShopTo decision.

#3 12 months ago
  4. woe

This is my bucket of care \_/, oh look, it’s empty!

#4 12 months ago
  5. G1GAHURTZ

^ I think Activision may even care slightly less than you.

#5 12 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I think we can all agree then that Activision doesn’t give a shit about their customers, and that only total dupes would actually buy from a publisher that so openly disrespects them as people and so freely insults their intelligence. I’m with ShopTo all the way on this one.

As bad as some people may think EA are, Activision still absolutely hold the Arsehole Crown. I’ve never known any publisher to be as repugnant and to think so low of their customers as Activision does. They see you as walking wallets, to buy from them is to have no self-respect.

This also means that I’ll be shopping with ShopTo more. I already have in the past, but I’m even more inclined to do so now.

#6 12 months ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

^ So Activision are really bad because they don’t want their product released until a certain date?

Oh, how inconsiderate!

#7 12 months ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

Their loss.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Djoenz

So thats why my copy of Black Ops2 arrived like 3 days late…
    I used a dutch company to order the game, but I was like wth this defeats the sole purpose of pre-ordering LMAO. I was so pissed I actually went to the retail shop to buy another copy.

While my Riptide arrived one day earlier when ordered at the same company.

Wonderful.

#9 12 months ago
  10. psycho

I think ShopTo is acting like little children it wasn’t Activision that promised the services that ShopTo promises to thier clients. Activision did decide on a date to release the game and ShopTo promised to their clients that they will receive it on a certain day, why is it Activision’s problem if ShopTo can’t deliver on their promises?

#10 12 months ago
  11. DrDamn

ShopTo try to deliver by day of release. They send by Royal Mail 1st Class Signed for. Unfortunately RM only say they “Aim to delivery next working day, including Saturdays” so, ShopTo send stuff out the day before. Wednesday if it’s a Friday release for example to allow for RM taking longer to deliver.

For a lot of people it’s not that much different to going to the local 24 hour super market and getting it there at midnight is it? Don’t see what Activision have to be so draconian and controlling about it.

#11 12 months ago
  12. psycho

@11 I understand all that, but the fact that “ShopTo refuses to stock shooter after row with Activision” to me is a bit stupid, if someone really wants to play the game they will just end up waiting a day longer or buy the game on steam and download it. To me it seams as if ShopTo is just trowing a fit.

#12 12 months ago
  13. DrDamn

If the reason ShopTo cannot offer their normal very good service is a rule imposed by Activision specifically for this title then they have that right. It does reflect badly on them when titles can’t be delivered in the way they normally do for reasons out of their control.

#13 12 months ago
  14. TheBlackHole

ShopTo are run by a bunch of cowboys, and it’s widely known that they are the ‘go-to’ company if you want your game delivered early. It’s how they make money.

Why do you think nobody else has complained? Because everyone else delivers on the day, not three days before launch.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Hirmetrium

psycho, not only is it that, but they would make a loss. Are Activision going to compensate them when its their bottom line? Of course not. Not to mention every late delivery gets customers £3, which is £3 less per customer for shopto, as well as the logistics of the weekend. It’s a huge loss for them, bigger than than simply not stocking it (which, in this case, they have done).

As a huge ShopTo fan and customer, this announcement is pleasing – it shows they really do care about their customers and the service they get. Reminds me why all my recent titles are from them.

@Blackhole – Amazon are terrible for not delivering anywhere near release, and GAME are hit and miss nowadays too. At least with shopto you know they’ll go the distance and make the effort, and if they don’t your guaranteed an extra £3 in store credit.

Not to mention, people have pointed out that you’ll either get it at midnight from a store, or you’ll pick it up for next to nothing with your weekly shop.

#15 12 months ago
  16. stretch215

Terrible policy by activision. I can see the retailer making a decision like this to maintain their integrity and all, but MAN are they missing out on a lot of money. CoD is huge.

#16 12 months ago
  17. RocknRolla

@2 Erthazus
    I do not agree with you at all.. Ghosts will not be the biggest game believe me :) nowhere near a title of “Biggest game” but still good move from the store :) COD is slowly but very very surely dying out :) good if you ask me :) never stopped loving Battlefield!

#17 12 months ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

^In terms of sales its the biggest title in gaming along with GTA.

#18 12 months ago
  19. psycho

all i can say is lol and that i am going to enjoy the game, i don’t realy care about shopto, they can do what they want.

#19 12 months ago