Tomb Raider dev team picks its top ten moments

Monday, 6th May 2013 03:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

All of the highlights Crystal Dynamics nominated as its favourites from Tomb Raider have one thing in common: Lara Croft is suffering. In the studio’s defence, that’s pretty much the whole game right there.

The video below was sent along by Square Enix today, presumably because the publisher feels the spoilers window has closed. If you haven’t yet tried Lara’s latest adventure, though, you shouldn’t watch – or maybe you should, and it may convince you to give it a try. You still have a short grace period to take advantage of the PC version’s weekend sale, too.

1. salarta

Now they’re just doing my job for me. :P

#1 1 year ago
  2. Blue Oni

“Top ten”?
    I couldn’t even pick one lol.

#2 1 year ago
  3. ninjanutta

Brilliant game,even bettered uncharted in places ,but i think that was down to being on pc.I believe a ps4 uncharted will destroy this though

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

Nah I think the core gameplay was indeed better than Uncharted. I wasn’t wild about the amount of abuse Lara goes through though – falling, pushed, punched, more falling, more falling, etc.

#4 1 year ago
  5. lexph3re

I wish I could say I love this game but I don’t. It’s so all over the place while trying to be taken seriously. It wants to match Uncharted in narrative but none of the characters are even like able. Lara is bi polar one minute she’s a helpless victim who regrets killing people the next she’s screaming obscenities to the enemies about how she’ll kill them. The gameplay is solid but it also outstayed its welcome. This is just over drawn out and inconsistent I really think they should pick a formula that stands out and go from there because their narrative is just awful

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

The only real moment in there for me was the radio tower, but I guess you gotta fill the PR space somehow.

@4 How come? She doesn’t get treated any more or less harshly than a male protagonist would. She just responds to it in a much more believable way.

#6 1 year ago
  7. deathm00n

Sorry to say, but even the tower moment didn’t impress me, even God of War Ascension had better climbing scenes. Uncharted is better in so many ways. The gunfight is too easy and you can end the game only with the bow. The tombs are way too short and too few. This isn’t the Tomb Raider I once knew.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Rafa_L

I finished the game yesterday, and I loved it.

I was always a fan of the franchise and even if it’s far from the roots I thought it was a great game with some incredible moments.

@5 I agree with many of your points, I liked the story, but the narrative and characters were weak. I don’t think Lara was helpless, but there are moments from beginning to middle that she is inconsistent. It’s not a perfect game, but I found it very entertaining and an opportunity for a great new era for Lara.

@1 I discussed with you sometimes the portrayal of females in games and the new Lara. I know your feelings about square enix and the changes, but even with some lines as “come rescue me” Lara comes off as a strong individual and female. The mentoring of Roth doesn’t play the part of a male leading female, it comes more as a father figure. In previous raiders, Lara always had a mentor, the only thing is that their relationship was more snappy than loving.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

@8: You’re free to feel that way, but I disagree to put it mildly.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Doz12

Literally just finished the game and it is awesome! One of the best action adventure games I’ve played in the past few years. I think the story is good could be better but the gameplay is really what makes the game IMO.

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

@1: You mean playing the game?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Blue Oni

“This isn’t the Tomb Raider I once knew.”

Amen.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

@7 I think it’s a lot more satisfying to raid those tombs this time around. They actually have a bit of personality and detail to them, kinda like Lara herself.

I agree though, the combat should’ve been a lot smarter, I always feel that bullet sponges are a clear indication of designers going creatively bankrupt. There should’ve been more tombs instead, the environment was the real strength of the game.

@8 I’m pretty sure the reason why he refuses to play it is so he can avoid making those observations for himself. It would make for a much less passionate rant.

#13 1 year ago