Super Mario Bros. movie gets 20th anniversary screening

Friday, 3rd May 2013 12:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Super Mario Bros. was turned into a live-action movie once. Gamers under a certain age are lucky enough to be spared the atrocities committed throughout the film’s running time, but if anyone in the L.A. area really wants to see it again, your day has come.

Nintendo Life reports that the flick – starring Bob Hoskins as Mario and the late Dennis Hopper as Bowser – is getting a midnight screening on May 24 at the NuArt Theatre in Los Angeles.

There’s even a Facebook event set up, should you wish to attend. There’s even a Q& A session after the film with screenwriter Parker Bennett and production designer David L. Snyder, who will presumably be wearing Kevlar vests.

If you’re curious, the film includes the below song. I have to stop typing now as it’s having some sort of ‘Ring’ effect on my mind. Watch it, and know that you have stared into the abyss.

Thanks to ShirleyPeanut for the clip.

1. viralshag

Wikipedia says it all really:

Bob Hoskins has spoken critically of Super Mario Bros., saying that it was “the worst thing I ever did” and that “the whole experience was a nightmare” in a 2007 interview with The Guardian. In another interview with The Guardian, Hoskins answered Super Mario Bros. to three of the questions he was asked, “What is the worst job you’ve done,” “What has been your biggest disappointment,” and “If you could edit your past, what would you change?”

I can’t remember much of the film and I’m glad about that.

#1 1 year ago
  2. silkvg247

I’m still not sure how or why Nintendo ever let this see the light of day.. :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. theevilaires

Anybody up for some T.A.N.G.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Cobra951

“This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.”

Raspberries to EMI, and Youtube/Google for being their lackeys.

Edit: This one plays for me:

#4 1 year ago
  5. sh4dow

“If you’re curious, the film includes the below song.”

Yes an no. You might have wanted to mention that it only included a modified version.

And not just Super Mario Bros…
    “Queen Latifah recorded a version of the song for Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. The lyric “slave” was replaced in her version with “friend” to make the song more family-friendly.” – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_the_Dinosaur

“The song’s about nuclear Armageddon,” Jacobs says. “It became a dance because of the video.” – http://www2.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7137

Parts of the original lyrics (in case you didn’t pay attention while watching the video):

I met you in a cave, you were painting buffalo
    I said I’d be your slave, follow wherever you go
    [...]
    A shadow from the sky much too big to be a bird
    A screaming crashing noise louder than I’ve ever heard
    It looked like two big silver trees that somehow learned to soar
    Suddenly a summer breeze and a mighty lion’s roar
    I killed the dinosaur, I killed the dinosaur

Open the door, get on the floor
    Everybody kill the dinosaur
    Open the door, get on the floor
    Everybody kill the dinosaur

#5 1 year ago
  6. Digital Bamboo

I saw this in theater, it was terrible, and my standards really weren’t that high, being 10 at the time.

The Wizard was obviously a million times better. It blew my mind.

#6 1 year ago