Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection won’t come to Xbox 360 due to MGS4

Thursday, 2nd May 2013 14:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection isn’t being released for Xbox 360 because one of the contents, Metal Gear Solid 4, isn’t available for the system.

Speaking on his radio show, Hideo Kojima said in order to release the collection on the system, it would take too much work due to the amount of data in the game.

“I’m sorry to say an Xbox 360 version isn’t being released, because an Xbox 360 version of MGS4 hasn’t gone on sale,” Kojima said. “To explain the situation, the amount of data in MGS4 is just too enormous.”

Since 360 doesn’t use Blu-ray, MGS4 would take up seven DVDs.

“I want to put it out [on Xbox 360],” Kojima continued. “But we won’t be releasing it. “When the next Xbox console [comes out], maybe we can release it [The Legacy Collection].

“If we released a version on the Xbox 360 without MGS4, then it’s not The Legacy Collection.”

The Legacy Collection includes Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 3: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions and Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition and is out in North America in June on PS3.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. someguy2

Still no mention of an EU release? I guess I’ll have to import it

#1 1 year ago
  2. RocknRolla

No soup fo you! Xbox :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. dravenkaze

7 dvds? xbox you suck lol

#3 1 year ago
  4. theevilaires

I love it I love it I love it! People think its fanboyism but its not. I want to see at least one franchise keep its luster and not spread thin because of money issues. Going multiplat has hurt several other games like Ace Combat, Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy from being games we once couldn’t wait to get a sequel. Now they’re just meh and MGS5 is no different. It just feels meh now but MGS4 (while not the best in the series to me) still holds a special feeling to it.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Joe Musashi

I could swear the internet told me MGS4 had to go multiplatform. Might’ve been a few years back though. Kojima’s bluffing, obviously.

JM

#5 1 year ago
  6. tmac2011

im glad there not giving it to xbox, i doubt they really care anyways

#6 1 year ago
  7. Da Man

Since MGS4 has 50 Gb of cutscenes , MGS4 would take up seven DVDs.

Some typos in there..

#7 1 year ago
  8. redwood

I wanna make fun of xbox so baaad right now :( that i feel ashamed of myself

#8 1 year ago
  9. MegaGeek1

Why cant they release the goddamn HD GameCube remake of MGS with this package? I know the answer, but I still want to bitch about it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

You mean the one that featured soundtrack not fit for the MGS world as well as a backflipping specialist Solid Snake in addition to backflipping on rockets.

#10 1 year ago
  11. SlayerGT

@4 While I normally agree with you Tea, I don’t on your mulitiplat theory. I think the prob with this Gen is the rising cost of development. Those games you listed went multiplat because the pubs felt it necessary to offset the cost. This was the case most of this Gen. Not only that, but a few titles actually tried to “appeal to a more mainstream audience”, or as I like to call it “fucking up your game by attempting to appeal to everyone and in turn, appealing to no one” :) ie Ace Combat. But by that token I agree MGS4 is special. I believe it was created before pubs felt things were getting dire. And it shows in the end product.

#11 1 year ago
  12. tatsujin

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha shit box 3 fix me won’t be getting this. Hahahahahahahahahahahha

#12 1 year ago
  13. dreamcastnews

@12, urm, what?

#13 1 year ago
  14. theevilaires

Slayer I hear your point too because without the money the games can’t be made but you can’t tell me ACE Combat is now what it was back on PS2. Hell even SONIC doesn’t feel right playing it on a Nintendo console and thats why all SONIC games after the Dreamcast have sucked.

I’m sorry if you want to play MGS,Final Fantasy,DMC,Tekken,and ACE Combat you should have bought a PS3. Those games have always been known as top tier games on PlayStation and as soon as they went multiplatform they instantly became mediocre. I think devs/pubs shot themselves in their own foot because they didn’t want to see SONY rule with the PS3 and purposely tried to punish SONY for their arrogance. In return it backed fired on them and now games like Final Fantasy is shit and goes to $20 after being on sale for a few months.

If Gran Turismo can be exclusive and still sell very well then so could Ace Combat, tekken and the rest. MGS4 did very good numbers for the limited number of consoles out there. But the damage is done and I hope next gen a clear winner is realized faster so devs can stop spreading themselves so thin and bring the quality back into gaming.

#14 1 year ago
  15. malethief

@4 it’s not that franchises are ruined because they went mulitplatform. It’s because video games have become more mainstream they try to appeal to a wider audience. And factors like the the same designers, producers, directors etc. aren’t working on a particular series anymore or have left the company so the older titles are hard to compare to the newer ones. Thus they end up not being as great.

#15 1 year ago
  16. theevilaires

@15 No No No…gaming hasn’t went mainstream. Just because Nintendo came out with some damn gimmick doesn’t mean the whole world is going to try to play a game like MGS or DMC. Only thing that has changed for gaming is online. So our habits of playing games have changed but that doesn’t mean the devs have to make the quality of the games poorer. which many do now and just tack on a MP with a short SP campaign.

What I’m talking about is the feel of a game. A feeling that its special because others don’t have it and you do. A ferrari is a top brand car. If everyone was driving around in a Ferrari the car would lose its glamour and significance. Same thing with a woman who has an exclusive dress at a party. If she only has it she becomes that much special and she stands out above all the rest of the women. But if every woman had on that Versace dress J-Lo wore at the grammy’s that one year no one would give a shit about J-Lo when she wore it.

That exclusiveness makes that thing so much more important and desirable and worth much more. GEARS of War is huge because its exclusive to 360….once it came out for PS3 in FPS style (BULLETSTORM) no one gave a rats ass about it. See my point?…Thank you!

If it was born and created on PlayStation it needs to stay on Playstation. I pray Onimusha comes back exclusive to PS4.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Clupula

I think going multiplatform definitely takes the shine off a series, as well as dumbing down what makes each console special. Bioshock going to PS3 was a mistake, as was Metal Gear going to 360. I miss the days of third party exclusives. Games felt so much more special back then.

#17 1 year ago
  18. SlayerGT

@14 Don’t get me started on Namco Tea. I’d kick their top men in the nuts for what happened to THE BEST arcade flight game ever. But most of the probs you have are with Japanese games. I think they’ve struggled the most this Gen adapting to the new hardware..unfortunately PS3 especially (as much as i hate to say). Hopefully with next Gen machines being similar is spec, there won’t have to be any thin spreading..fingers crossed :/ (as dev cost will soar even higher)

#18 1 year ago
  19. theevilaires

I agree with Clupula BioShock should have stayed exclusive to 360 and that would have given me another reason to get a 360. Mass Effect too. You have Final fantasy on PS3 and Mass Effect on 360. Want to play either one go buy each other console but those games would be epic because the devs would have use all the respective console resources to make it fucking awesome.

@ Slayer i was under the impression that the higher graphics go up anyway so will the cost of development too. I won’t be surprise if they (try to) charge $70-$80 for a game.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Lewis247

Oh wow, people mocking the xbox 360, takes me right back to 2007.. *cringe*

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

So i think we can all agree that once a formerly exclusive franchise goes multiplatform, it loses that something that made it so amazing.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

@19 – Completely agree. Mass Effect and Bioshock were part of what made the 360 unique, just as Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, and Tekken were part of what made Playstation unique.

Without that, it’s all just mud. Watered down mud.

#22 1 year ago
  23. dkpunk

@20 I know right? SDF out in full force.

#23 1 year ago
  24. zinc

Personally I’m happy that Mass Effect & Bioshock went multiplat. The idea that a certain game belongs to a certain brand is kinda daft.

But then I’ve always been a fan of gaming, rather than the platform.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

@23 – You obviously don’t know the difference between “defense” and “offense.”

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

Well personally i don’t mind although witnessing some franchises make drastic changes like RE not aware of its identity (Survival horror or action adventure) or MGS supposedly changing an iconic voice actor alongside Thief (But actually happening). I understand why it happens and i also understand that something bad happens to a franchise when it goes multiplatform.

#26 1 year ago
  27. monkeygourmet

Implying MGS 4 was actually a good game… :)

It was like the next Harry Potter book. Ultimately shit, but if you read the rest, you wanted to see how it ends…

Actually, that’s a bit harsh. The Harry Potter books had far superior gameplay and less cutscenes. :D

#27 1 year ago
  28. SlayerGT

@27 Monkey you didn’t like MGS4!?

#28 1 year ago
  29. Clupula

MGS4 is pretty damn good, except for the last chapter, which reminded me too much of MGS2. MGS2 is what all the critics, who’ve never played MGS4 say MGS4 is…you take two steps, there’s a 15 minute cutscene, you take another ten steps, thirty minute CODEC conversation…Boss fight.

Besides the last chapter, which is very much guilty of that, the rest of the game has a great balance between gameplay and cutscenes. People who call it a movie are basically just people who have never played it, and like to regurgitate what certain websites shat into their minds.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Lengendaryboss

You trying to cause a shitstorm?
    The MGS series has always had long cutscenes although MGS 4 took long to a new level.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Clupula

@30 – Are you forgetting the hour-long cutscene between fighting the multitude of Metal Gear Rays and Solidus in MGS2? Neither MGS3 or MGS4 had anything like that, except for their endings, which I have no problem being long.

#31 1 year ago
  32. zinc

@legendary, I don’t see a game suffering for going multiplat, I see a game suffering when the dev try’s to make it as broadly appealing as possible, or change its origional style in the hope to catch the eye of a new demographic.

DMC is a good example of the latter, FF13? A example of the former.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Lengendaryboss

@Clupula
    As MGS fan i forget nothing i remember that scene, i enjoy watching cutscenes since when is having a long cutscene a crime its delivers the convoluted story very well. BTW the cutscenes for me ain’t long in the MGS series that seems to be the common complaint to anyone complaining about MGS.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Clupula

@32 – Well, that is the problem. Multiplatform gaming often results in game franchises being changed to appeal to people who didn’t want to play it in the first place, because if they did, they would have bought the system it was for. Things are neutered and watered down. Even the HD Collection of MGS had to have things cut from MGS3, just because they couldn’t put them on the 360, like Snake vs Monkey. So, PS3 owners end up getting a watered down version too because of the multiplatform nature of the collection. Both sides suffer and people who owned 360′s didn’t really rush out to buy it anyway.

@33 – MGS2 is the only game in the entire series I don’t like and it’s for all the reasons people give when they mock MGS4…which to me, says they’ve never played the series in the first place, or they’d know what MGS2 had been like.

And I say this, btw, as someone for whom MGS3 is the greatest game of all time, in my opinion. Bar none. There has never been a game better than MGS3. I will play that game until my dying day.

#34 1 year ago
  35. monkeygourmet

@all MG fans

Only messing! :)

MG is just one game I can’t get into. I’ve got the HD collection, MGS4 on the PS3 and have just got ‘Rising’ on 360…

I appreciate the amount of work that’s gone into the series, but for some reason couldn’t give 2 shits about any of the Charecters. Every time I start any of them and the cuts scenes start I just cringe… Then, to top it off… The awful awful controls that kill any gameplay that does rear it’s head.

One of my ambitions is to get beyond 45 minutes of MGS 4, I don’t think that day will ever come… :(

I just can’t get past the bad controls! :/

#35 1 year ago
  36. Clupula

@35 – If you don’t like the series, why did you buy more than one game?

#36 1 year ago
  37. monkeygourmet

Because I like games and felt maybe I was missing something or would change my opinion over time.

I do that with films / music too! :)

Also, I’m quite enjoying ‘Rising’ ;)

#37 1 year ago
  38. Clupula

@37 – See, I can understand why you’d buy one of them. I’ve done that with franchises before. Bought one, didn’t like it. Never bought another in the series, but it’s odd, to me, at least, to keep buying them, if one of them wasn’t enough to get you into it.

That said, if I had started with MGS2, I don’t think I would have played any of the others. In fact, even having loved the original MGS on PS1, after playing 2, I had to be convinced by my friends to pick up 3. I’m very glad they did that, because I would have missed out on my favorite game ever had they not.

#38 1 year ago
  39. SlayerGT

@35 Aww Monkey that’s disappointing. Personally I love MGS. 4 is my fav by far. Its (imo) one of, if not the most “next Gen” game this Gen.

#39 1 year ago
  40. monkeygourmet

Thats why i’ve purchased most of the games! :)

I understand the series importance to so many gamers, I just can’t get into them. Maybe one day it will all ‘click’! ;)

#40 1 year ago
  41. Espers

Now I understand Kojima san idea … he wanted to have a collection of all the metal gear solid games so far as an archive in every gamer’s library before he can take the new MGS in a new direction as he mentioned.

#41 1 year ago